And Our Survey Says

Betty1

You can request a separate engine survey from the surveyor , standard survey doesn’t go into too much depth as to engine condition.

with ours they offered to undertake an engine oil survey which checks for metal particles etc in the oil , we didn’t take them up on that as didn’t believe it to be worthwhile .

• Like 1

When the company I worked for was sold, the new managers decided to have an oil analysis done on all the engines, which was a bit strange as they had not had one of the boats inspected or surveyed before they bought them.

The results were bizarre and totally useless. Some engines with 11000 hours on them were perfect, whereas brand new ones were condemned as in need of a re-build. Even our new wunderkind management didn't bother to repeat that exercise.

43 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

When the company I worked for was sold, the new managers decided to have an oil analysis done on all the engines, which was a bit strange as they had not had one of the boats inspected or surveyed before they bought them.

The results were bizarre and totally useless. Some engines with 11000 hours on them were perfect, whereas brand new ones were condemned as in need of a re-build. Even our new wunderkind management didn't bother to repeat that exercise.

They probably mixed them up !!

Oil analysis is becoming fairly common now in commercial and industrial engine use.  With regular sampling you can extend servicing by quite a margin and it’s very sophisticated now.  Bear in mind larger engines use several gallons of oil per change and some are working up to 24 hours a day in a few applications, downtime is also an issue.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, NeilB said:

They probably mixed them up !!

Oil analysis is becoming fairly common now in commercial and industrial engine use.  With regular sampling you can extend servicing by quite a margin and it’s very sophisticated now.  Bear in mind larger engines use several gallons of oil per change and some are working up to 24 hours a day in a few applications, downtime is also an issue.

We used to evaluate the trend rather than one single sample,if one sample was "odd" we'd re sample before taking action, We also found it important to regularly check new oil as sometimes the blenders would change the additive package and give strange results

5 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Are you telling me that wiping the dipstick between finger and thumb and rubbing the two together is no longer the recognised evaluation technique for engines? :default_icon_eek:

The blacker and more gritty the better, some small bubbles.....perfect

13 hours ago, springsong said:

Fit a Mini sump plugs with its little magnet.

I had clean forgotten those. They used to be covered in spiky bits on the first few oil changes.

On Flea Bay, nowadays you can purchase magnetic sump plugs for most engines, helps if you know the thread used on the sump though.  I fit them to all my vehicles including, Tiger and Beta alike.

Another standard application I do is to administer 'ZX1' to engines, gearboxes, differentials and also upgrade air filters to K&N type,  they save a fair bit on never having to buy any more air filters during servicing along with improved air flow = improved mpg  I fitted a K&N example to 'B.A's Beta - that was one air filter too far as the induction noise was unacceptable so off it came to have the manufactures one put back on

Griff

Down here on the south coast the surveyors are generally not qualified enough in mechanics to comment in any detail on the state of a engine, might be different in Norfolk...

Marine engineers are normal used to do an engine inspection and sea trial, as well as a surveyor doing the survey. 

I hope you find a decent surveyor, go with recommendations.  Before we bought BG, We had BG surveyed by a qualified surveyor and the report was not worth the paper it was written on. I found far more things wrong with the boat than the surveyor found, he should have gone to Specsavers. What concerned me most was that the survey did not report on what was nothing short of a deadly gas system and an engine with a cracked cylinder liner. Fortunately, I had noticed these things prior to purchase. 

I am still not sure how much depth a survey goes in to, but I would expect a lot for the money they charge. My advice to you would be to go over every inch of the boat yourself, then get an idea of the cost of making good the faults you have found. 

On 10 April 2018 at 14:06, Betty1 said:

It is sold subject to a survey. It's a long story. The owner is away at the moment.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Just wondering if you had had the survey done yet and how it went?

22 minutes ago, Betty1 said:

No survey, because of a change of plan.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Does that mean your still looking as I know of a alpha 32 that's pretty nice n under 20k .