What Do We Want At Acle Bridge?

JennyMorgan

As BA has complete control over the use of land and some spare cash, I think the competition should have been:

"To create the perfect boat mooring"

The Acle Yacht Station maybe?

Moorings, toilets, showers, rubbish disposal and a small shop?

Yes, maybe, but how to couch that as a competition, I know - lets call it a visitor centre, then maybe we will get a proposal that gives us all we want, and a little more on top.

You never know you might get some really innovative answers to the problem of what to do there, after all a similar idea at the spitfire memorial above dover came up with an idea of a visitor centre shaped as a pair of spitfire wings, which was a fitting tribute as well as a useful building. we might end up with something inspired from a wind pump, or other broads landmark, maybe a representation inspired by Potter Heigham or Wroxham Bridge, who knows.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grendel said:

Moorings, toilets, showers, rubbish disposal and a small shop?

Yes, maybe, but how to couch that as a competition, I know - lets call it a visitor centre, then maybe we will get a proposal that gives us all we want, and a little more on top.

You never know you might get some really innovative answers to the problem of what to do there, after all a similar idea at the spitfire memorial above dover came up with an idea of a visitor centre shaped as a pair of spitfire wings, which was a fitting tribute as well as a useful building. we might end up with something inspired from a wind pump, or other broads landmark, maybe a representation inspired by Potter Heigham or Wroxham Bridge, who knows.

I was hoping for something new; Easticks had a Yacht Station in Acle many decades ago

45 minutes ago, grendel said:

Now there’s an idea. Easticks did have a yacht station but was limited and not a YS like Norwich or GY. I think grendel should put a plan in, maybe a consortium of forum folk could come up with something? Call it a visitor centre but in truth it’s really a yacht station. :default_eusa_dance:

Maureen, a warm welcome to the NBN. Immediate answer is I don't know but I do know the field base was sold well above valuation so I was happy to accept that. The sad thing though is that the Ludham Field Base was probably if not certainly better placed as a visitor centre, it being more central to the North River hub so to speak. The Base was sold to a business partnership that includes one of our members so I suppose what he paid is his business but equally it should show on relevant spreadsheets that should by now be in the public arena, if anyone here can fathom out how to locate that information.

11 minutes ago, Maureenrope said:

I was unaware that it had been sold? When did this happen?

Hello Maureen, I am not sure when it was sold but I think it ceased operation in 2010 or maybe earlier, please see the link to the following report on Broads Authority cuts:-

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/broads-authority-cuts-approved-1-732098

Regards

Alan

On 03/05/2018 at 10:19, ChrisB said:

I am sorry Ricardo but you are not correct. If you go to the Visit Norfolk site ( can't paste as on my phone ) Boating is way down the list of tourism by value for Norfolk.

Figures can be used to how ever you wish to make them look.

27 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Figures can be used to how ever you wish to make them look.

Tourism figures come under the office for National Statistics and the control of the Auditor General my guess is they are pretty accurate.

• Like 1

I think that JP is quite right to consider multi use so I'm enclosing the site plan, and competition details,  in order to help you decide if JP is being rational in his ambitions. As yet the Authority has yet to buy the land outlined in yellow.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/1196646/Acle-bridge-design-competition-FINAL.PDF

• Thanks 1

I think selling the Field Centre was a good medium long term view. I always thought that the building was a liability and maintenance nightmare and would become a money pit for the Authority.

• Like 1

I had a good think about what I would like there, and then read the pdf JP linked to, and pretty much what is written (I've copied it below) is what I would like.   Having taught educational field trips visits in Norfolk years ago I'd agree that it is not the best location for them, specially when there is such good competition up the road at How Hill, they'd have to think out of the box there to make them worth the outlay to get the school bookings. I'm not sure there is room for a marina as well as dayboat hire, but would like to see full facilities for passing boat traffic.  Otherwise I approve, and would like a modern, sensitive to its situation, outstanding visitor centre building there with cafe/shop.  As both Cley and the old floating Ranworth NWT centres show, it can be done.  I'm excited to see what they do.

"....key components identified at the first meeting are:
1. A landmark building sensitive to the landscape and demonstrating modern techniques and providing views across the Broads landscape. A building which celebrates the rich cultural traditions and unique landscape of the Broads National Park.
2. Multi-purpose building including - Education Centre for school groups combined with a Café/Multi-purpose space with provision for the activities to expand out of doors when the weather is good. Space to be capable of also being used for training and public events. The café should be able to include a bar for evening events and space to sell a small range of basic goods.
3. Rather than a dedicated space for interpretation the building itself should tell the story of the Broads, its history and importance as well as key sustainability issues.
4. The site should have an adequate number of toilets and showers to meet the needs of visiting boats at the peak in the summer) and passing trade for the café and school groups in term time.
5. Car and coach parking for visitors and school parties. Potential for a cycle hire facility.
6. Demonstration elements – flood risk management/development in the flood plain, sustainability and electric charging points for vehicles – all to be incorporated within design.
7. Facilities for visiting boats to the site including waste disposal, washing machines and Wi-Fi.
8. Slipway for launching small motor boats with access such that a crane could lift Broads Authority vessels in and out of the water as necessary. A day-boat hire operation.
9. Investigate the potential for a marina.
10. Sign posting long distance Weavers Way and encouraging people to get out into the landscape. In this regard there will be a strong link up with projects under the HLF funded Water, Mills and Marshes programme.
11. Low maintenance building suitable for public use and the wear and tear associated and therefore using some high quality materials and fittings.
12. A design which is in keeping with the Authority’s core values, is in accord with planning policies, responds to the constraints and exploits the opportunities of the site."

• Like 1

Well that is my point exactly JM.  An educational centre at Acle would be in direct competition with How Hill and would not offer anything better because How Hill is exceedingly good.  The Acle version would have to offer something different.  I can see a multifunction room being of use, that could be used for education/training/talks if needs arise

7 minutes ago, Minifer said:

Well that is my point exactly JM.  An educational centre at Acle would be in direct competition with How Hill and would not offer anything better because How Hill is exceedingly good.  The Acle version would have to offer something different.  I can see a multifunction room being of use, that could be used for education/training/talks if needs arise

I can see much that is desirable about this project but as far as training and talks then that facility is already provided at the Thorpe dockyard site, and that has already turned into a mega bucks fiasco for various reasons. 

I believe Grist may well have been a tenant of the Field Base - as recently as 2017 Slippery Bottoms was operating out of the Base as well but they departed in May/June 2017.

I have certainly heard plenty of rumours about it being sold but as yet nothing definite - if it has it it has only completed fairly recently. ( But I could be wrong of course! )

It has proved to be a difficult asset to sell primarily because access is so limited. I think they nearly sold it 2/3 years ago but that finally fell through over the access road over which there is even purported to be limit to the number of vehicles using it. It is certainly single track and suitable only for light vehicles.

Sorry PW, it definitely would NOT be a suitable site for whats is proposed at Acle Bridge - which incidentally I still welcome along with a few others!!! Of course what it would offer which How Hill does not, is somewhere accessible to the general public most of the time - which How Hill is not.