Bbc News

Yes and no. For Dr Packman to request/beg that the Broads become a national park under Gove's latest initiative would be to admit that it isn't one now! Beyond that I don't see this one going far whilst the government is embroiled in Brexit etc..

• Like 4

The fact remains that the BA's area of responsibility, that we call the Broads, is being surrounded by newbuild housing ever since the NDR was first proposed and there is no question that this will have a disastrous effect on the area. I was astounded to read somewhere that there is no green belt land in Norfolk any more. It is all brown belt farmland and so it is up for grabs by developers who can obviously get planning with the greatest of ease, even when all the local people forcefully object.

My prediction that a journey from Norwich to Wroxham will soon be undertaken through a vast housing estate is already happening. 11,000 new houses in the NDR area they say, so 22,000 more cars on the county's roads. And where will all these people find work, or schooling, a doctor's surgery or a dentist? The NHS in the 3 main hospitals is already overstretched.

When I think of the Norfolk countryside that I grew up in, I weep.

I sense that this is the thrust of Mr Gove's argument.

• Like 2

I have not been keeping abreast of it recently but I know at the end of 2016 the GNDP had 20014 homes where planning had been granted and not yet started.

Everywhere you look there is development two vast estates in Holt, even Overstrand has had an additional 43 houses, the same in Mundesley.

Up here in this NE corner, I am convinced it is only the bottle necks of Coltishall and Wroxham Bridges protecting us from the worst, but fot how long?

There is a very real threat to Norfolk's character that folk come here to enjoy.

• Like 1

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/michael-gove-national-parks-review-broads-1-5537393

49 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

When I think of the Norfolk countryside that I grew up in, I weep.

I'm afraid, Vaughan, that it is a situation that has been thrust upon us. In a nutshell a Norfolk accent is fast becoming a rarity. Please don't read that as yours truly is unwelcoming to immigrants, that would be far from the truth, indeed some of my best friends come from outside the area, but in all honesty I do sometimes resent the changes being forced upon us. There really is no easy answer to this one short of offshore over-spill. Scroby Sands des res anyone?

• Like 1

It is happening everywhere, in the village we live in permission has been granted to double the amount of houses but nothing about schools, doctors, drainage etc.

The water board and electricity grid said there was not enough spare capacity for that many further residences.

Still we will become a town now.

paul

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

It is happening everywhere, in the village we live in permission has been granted to double the amount of houses but nothing about schools, doctors, drainage etc.

The water board and electricity grid said there was not enough spare capacity for that many further residences.

Still we will become a town now.

paul

In 2007 our village had 3548 residents, in 2011 it was 5760, in 2017 7069, a 99.2% increase in 10 years.

There are 362 houses currently under construction and permission approved for a further 898, which will close the greenfield gap between this and the neighbouring village. 

Despite the increase in size there is one less GP in practice in the village than there was in 2007. In cases of emergency a paramedic takes clinic, which is almost permanent now. Additional capacity has been supplied with an additional practice nurse. Plans for a new health center have been cancelled. The land earmarked for it will become a private care home. 

Plans for an additional school have also been shelved with new classrooms built at both the Infant and Junior schools. This extra capacity will be insufficient by 2021, three years time.

There is no rail service within 10 miles of the village, and Arriva announced earlier this year that buses to and from the village will now stop at 6pm weekdays and not operate on Sundays. 

What is that phrase about hell in a handcart?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

In 2007 our village had 3548 residents, in 2011 it was 5760, in 2017 7069, a 99.2% increase in 10 years.

There are 362 houses currently under construction and permission approved for a further 898, which will close the greenfield gap between this and the neighbouring village. 

Despite the increase in size there is one less GP in practice in the village than there was in 2007. In cases of emergency a paramedic takes clinic, which is almost permanent now. Additional capacity has been supplied with an additional practice nurse. Plans for a new health center have been cancelled. The land earmarked for it will become a private care home. 

Plans for an additional school have also been shelved with new classrooms built at both the Infant and Junior schools. This extra capacity will be insufficient by 2021, three years time.

There is no rail service within 10 miles of the village, and Arriva announced earlier this year that buses to and from the village will now stop at 6pm weekdays and not operate on Sundays. 

What is that phrase about hell in a handcart?

If the public transport services, GP practices, schools etc were upgraded to meet the requirements of the additional housing would that be OK?

We live close to Folkestone racecourse where the local authority is preparing to build 12,000 houses.  There are few jobs around here other than seasonal or agricultural ones, which nobody seems to want to do. Everywhere I look around the country, more and more land is being built on or has been earmarked for housing developments.   I'd like to know who is going to be living in all the houses that are being built and how much we haven't been told by politicians about how many people there are in this country.  This is not a political point. I am just curious.

• Like 2

The 'problem'  is just us, people. There are more and more of us and we need to live somewhere and there is a whole new generation brought up on not having to own (save up and buy) large expensive items. Cars are following the mobile contract path, you lease the vehicle pay an amount each month - never own the car outright but you get a new car ever few years and just keep on paying. It might cost more in the long term, but you get the nice new wheels.

Now with housing more and more people like the new home - not just to own their own, but it to be new and shiny just for them. Add in the help to buy schemes and lenders perhaps slipping back a bit to giving mortgages of values they should not really to people and it fuels it more.

I cannot believe how the housing market so far as flats in London has just exploded. It matters not if there being all sold, or if half the actual homes in the developments are own by people who are not even in the country and may not ever be occupied the likes of Bellway Homes just cannot get enough of these sites be them in central London or the suburbs - any land they can get they want more 'boxes' for people to live in. Look at Norwich how former office buildings at three sites have been converted to luxury apartments and people are snapping them up.

The problem is we are living in such uncertain times I believe and I get the feeling everyone is rushing to build and sell as fast as they can before the bubble may burst. After all, once that happens (and I do think it will) it is not the developers problems, just as it is not theirs about public services or utility provisions.

However, as a country we are growing and more and more areas will grow - I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily, but it is a shame that in the past an area grew bit by bit - homes had their own charm and style and would be 5 here, 7 there type thing whereas what happens now is always these 'estate' type places where you have two or three styles of home, in a small area in the same style go up rapidly. They are the same style and type in Norfolk as what may be built in Nottingham  and so slowly our towns and villages are becoming encircled with new homes that are so often carbon copies from elsewhere. The charm and soul of the town or village is watered down as what was small and quaint becomes busy and loud. Then the streets are filled with all the new Leased cars, and the delivery vans of online grocery shopping and of course the couriers delivery the Amazon orders too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Now with housing more and more people like the new home - not just to own their own, but it to be new and shiny just for them. 

The traditional first time buyers do up terrace house no longer appeals,  DIY skills in the under 30s are vanishing,  witness the demise of Homebase and the struggles of B and Q.

When I renovate a terrace house now it has to be top quality spec,  fully fitted and integrated kitchen,  flash bathroom etc. 15 years ago this standard used to be for detached houses only. The problem is these terraced houses don't achieve the return and usually end up with a quick bodge by someone and onto the rental market.

Anyone see a similarity between this scenario and wooden boats in the 70s.

• Like 2

There is also an element of those that gamble on better rail services and are willing to pay dearly to commute. They can sell their place in the Home Counties or Greater London, move to Norwich, be mortgage free, even put a couple of hundred thousand in the bank. 

If you compare Amersham to Liverpool Street with Norwich to Liverpool Street, their house prices and the flexibility mobile comms to enable work on the hoof, it is not hard to make a strong financial case to move. Especially if you are just a few years from retirement.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ChrisB said:

There is also an element of those that gamble on better rail services and are willing to pay dearly to commute. They can sell their place in the Home Counties or Greater London, move to Norwich, be mortgage free, even put a couple of hundred thousand in the bank. 

If you compare Amersham to Liverpool Street with Norwich to Liverpool Street, their house prices and the flexibility mobile comms to enable work on the hoof, it is not hard to make a strong financial case to move. Especially if you are just a few years from retirement.

The joys of commuting to East Anglia!

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/rail-ipswich-manningtree-colchester-suffolk-essex-replacement-buses-1-5537431

On 28/05/2018 at 22:18, Philosophical said:

If the public transport services, GP practices, schools etc were upgraded to meet the requirements of the additional housing would that be OK?

there are other things that need sorting too, road links, leisure services but that dine then fine. This is not some pretty little thatched cottage village, is an ex mining village, a village where children who grew up here cannot buy houses because they are too expensive so yes. sort the infrastructure and the homes are most welcome.

The village where I live, and went to school from 1985-91 has reached a new level of silly, we currently have a new build semi detached 2 bedroom house on the market for a paltry £785,000, yes over 3/4 million for a two bed semi...

Edit: it’s sold STC

32 minutes ago, JamesLV said:

The village where I live, and went to school from 1985-91 has reached a new level of silly, we currently have a new build semi detached 2 bedroom house on the market for a paltry £785,000, yes over 3/4 million for a two bed semi...

Edit: it’s sold STC

Well done now you can buy hull :default_eusa_naughty:

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

And that is exactly why we need new houses!!!!!

Unfortunately we will never build enough houses to stabilize the prices, demand will always outstrip supply,  the cheaper,  relatively,  they are the more demand will increase,  the more will need to be built.