I See The Red And White Tape Has Made Another Appearance

Wyndham

In the past I've mentioned a wild mooring north of Barton which has been taped off suggesting "No Mooring".. nothing official..just tape.

The tape has now made another appearance, just south of Barton...nothing official...just tape.

Who is putting it there and why?

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I have often wondered if that is indeed the case.  Only one way to find out is to remove the tape, moor up then wait and see.  Contacting the Ba and asking them with the location is also another method

Griff

The one north of Barton I have moored at and removed the tape, I've also seen a hire boat moor there and remove the tape (couple of years back) but it just keeps getting put back.

Contacting the BA might be an idea to find out if it's anything official.

• Like 1

I have seen this myself for a couple of weeks now, and my conclusion has been that there are a pair of Swans that live there. I moored up just ahead of the tape (right by the entrance to Barton Broad) and walked back - masses of down from where the Swans preen themselves - tape has faded a little suggesting has been there a fair while.

I think it is a local boater/resident who feels the need to preserve a little area for the Swans and nothing else, it is attractive to as a wild mooring since it has a good area of grass and less tree roots than the next mooring along right by the entrance to Barton Broad.

Maybe having seen earlier posts, someone has cottoned on that it is a good way to reserve a mooring! I think a search should be made of all boats and any red and white tape confiscated. Joking apart, I have seen the same private boat moored on the wild mooring above Barton Broad when I have been up there early and late season over the last couple of years. The wild mooring at the lower entrance to the Broad is often frequented by folks who fish from their boats. Nice view from there I would think.

If there was an underwater obstruction there would be yellow poles stuck in the mud. If the ground was dangerous behind the quay heading the BA would fence it off properly with their orange netting.

If the quay heading is not damaged and none of the above is present I just put a pair of scissors through the tape and moor there, it is just selfish people denying their favourite mooring to other river users.

I know of a rather rude, arrogant family of fishermen who do this to their favourite fishing spot around Heigham Sound. They attempt to take over half the moorings there and stay there for days in contravention of the byelaws.

Needless to say, the scissors were put to good use the other day and everybody can now moor there. If the tape returns I urge everybody to cut it off and just moor there.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Breydon said:

If there was an underwater obstruction there would be yellow poles stuck in the mud. If the ground was dangerous behind the quay heading the BA would fence it off properly with their orange netting.

If the quay heading is not damaged and none of the above is present I just put a pair of scissors through the tape and moor there, it is just selfish people denying their favourite mooring to other river users.

I know of a rather rude, arrogant family of fishermen who do this to their favourite fishing spot around Heigham Sound. They attempt to take over half the moorings there and stay there for days in contravention of the byelaws.

Needless to say, the scissors were put to good use the other day and everybody can now moor there. If the tape returns I urge everybody to cut it off and just moor there.   

I'm completely with you on that one. Is it worth reporting to the BA

• Like 1

I have seen the occasional mooring 'taped off', but always assumed that, for whatever reason, the mooring was either unsafe or closed. I remember a time, a few years ago, when we were going to pick friends up from Beccles. As we passed the B.A. mooring at Worlingham, two cruisers were moored and the rest of the mooring had 'hazard tape' stretched between the posts. I didn't think much about, other than the reason given above. On our return, an hour or two later, the remaining space was occupied by a third cruiser, the tape gone and a rather jolly barbecue was in progress. My friend, who had a 'day boat' and lived in Beccles, reckoned it was a commonly used ruse, to 'save' moorings for late arriving friends. Now, on the rare occasion I see a section of mooring 'taped off', I'm always a little suspicious, but still don't know if my friends explanation was actually true or not, though I have heard similar stories from others, since then.

Went to Dilham last autumn. There were two 40 ft boats in the first and last moorings leaving a gap of about 50 ft in the centre which was taped off with red and white tape. There was no damage to the quay heading so we ignored the tape and moored. As Breydon says if it was official there would either be red or yellow posts or orange netting.

• Like 1

I really don't think anybody at BA has a clue what is going on anyway so there is no point in phoning them. The rangers (where are they?) should be cutting the stuff down as tape obviously not the sort of thing they do to fence off a dangerous mooring.

Personally from now on I will be inspecting any taped off BA 24hr moorings for any dangers when I see them and will be cutting the tape off whether I am mooring there or not.

If we all do this then it will quench the problem instantly. In my mind it is first come first served both for boaters and fishermen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breydon said:

tape obviously not the sort of thing they do to fence off a dangerous mooring.

I believe the rangers do use tape on moorings if there is a good reason. I have certainly seen taped off sections where posts have been loose or quay heading broken. I quite agree though that if nothing is obvious the tape should be removed.

Today I passed the rude fishermen's mooring on the downstream end of the Deep Go Dyke mooring and it is taped off again.  Needless to say the scissors came out again.

There is nothing wrong with the banks, the quay heading or the mooring posts.

The moorings are for everybody, boaters and fishermen alike.

First come is first served.  If anybody knows these selfish fishermen let them know this.

In the meantime, keep cutting off the tape!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Polly said:

I think a check with the rangers as to whether they ever use red and white tape would be sensible.

There is no point Polly. BA have a duty of care to its customers. If the bank was dangerous they would have made a proper job of it and fenced it off properly with proper fencing or those plastic board things and put up "Danger no Mooring " signs.

I have seen these rude, aggressive, arrogant fishermen there before. They just spoil it for everybody else with their selfishness.

If anybody sees the tape just cut it off and moor there. It does not belong to BA.

• Like 4

The BA DO use red and white tape on moorings and NEVER fence it off with proper fencing.

If you do cut it off and fall down a hole, telling the BA you require compensation will be a bit fruitless.

Although there have been some cases when it has been established that individuals have used red/white  tape these are very few and far between and certainly if it was at Deep Go Dyke I can see little reason to tape it off when the moorings  are rarely if ever full. The usual reason for doing it, is either damage to the mooring posts which can easily get pulled out, or the safety steps.

I think you can probably assume that it was done by the Rangers and removing it without checking, puts others at risk. Perhaps for everyone's sake you should at least check with Broads Control before taking matters into your own hands!!

• Like 5

There are no holes in the bank there! There is nothing dangerous in any way about that piece of mooring. I inspected it myself this morning and cut the tape off again.

Anyway, I will be going home soon so I will leave you all to discuss the problem.

The red & white tape also appears on land that is nothing to do with the BA. There was a time not long ago that some of the wild moorings on Stalham Dyke were taped off,  only for anglers or private boaters  to appear later.

If the BA want to close one of the BA a moorings there should be a BA sign. If a BA sign appears on private land it probably means there is a navigation issue,  or someone with influence has pulled strings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

The BA DO use red and white tape on moorings and NEVER fence it off with proper fencing.

If you do cut it off and fall down a hole, telling the BA you require compensation will be a bit fruitless.

Although there have been some cases when it has been established that individuals have used red/white  tape these are very few and far between and certainly if it was at Deep Go Dyke I can see little reason to tape it off when the moorings  are rarely if ever full. The usual reason for doing it, is either damage to the mooring posts which can easily get pulled out, or the safety steps.

I think you can probably assume that it was done by the Rangers and removing it without checking, puts others at risk. Perhaps for everyone's sake you should at least check with Broads Control before taking matters into your own hands!!

Sorry Marshman, I'm with Breydon on this one. If it really is the BA using the tape then I agree with Heron above, they need to make it a whole lot clearer why the mooring is closed, definitely including signage. I would have no hesitation in removing the tape. 

• Like 1