Boat On Fire!

JennyMorgan

We had four fire tenders pass us earlier, two had boats in tow. I initially thought it was a boat in commissioners cut but could see from the footbridge at Thunder lane it was much further down stream. Lots of smoke was coming from the area near to the BA and Griffin marine. I do hope whoever was injured that it's not too serious. 

Colin

Vandals a possibility but the edp and Norfolk fire service confirm it as a boat on fire with someone pressumedly injured trying to put it out. We can only hope for a follow up article when a reporter actually goes there.

Colin

Anyone have any details of the boat. Impossible to tell what it looked like before. A comment elsewhere says it was called Maggie2 but not been able to find it on Craig's list. The nearest is Maggie II but shown removed from reg 2013.

Colin

Re fire-wrecks, I suppose it's a case of the Authorities sitting tight and waiting for the owner or his insurance company to remove the wreck. Should that not happen then I suppose it will be removed by the Authority & at the expense of us toll payers. That will probably depend on when they have a suitable workboat in the area.

• Like 1

In such cases I imagine the Authority will seek recompense from the boat insurers, as long as there are any. Much the same as local authorities claim for highway repairs and damaged street furniture following car crashes and fires.

I doubt the authorities care as it isn't on the navigation but a private side cut, I would imagine the guys at the yard may shift it to at least the bank to clear the way, I know the marina as I moor there and have to say was relieved to see it round the corner from my mooring but do feel sorry for the owner for sure.

I would imagine insurance won't be a problem as it's a requirement of the yard it's in (unless it was set adrift from the yard opposite to avoid spreading, I don't know their requirements).

14 hours ago, Islander said:

Anyone have any details of the boat. Impossible to tell what it looked like before. A comment elsewhere says it was called Maggie2 but not been able to find it on Craig's list. The nearest is Maggie II but shown removed from reg 2013.

Colin

Is this the boat referred to above?

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=6900&BoatHistory=11424

or this one ...

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=17066&BoatHistory=27268

May be not looking at last registration.

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

. So what exactly are the responsibilities of the Authority ?

Exactly. If they don't allow boats to be lived on in a private off river basin and insist that boats on off river moorings are tolled, then they must also be concerned about this.

There seem to have been rather a lot of boat fires recently. I don't suppose there is an arsonist about? Won't be the fist time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

So on a 'contiguous water'... So what exactly are the responsibilities of the Authority ?

Arguably they ensure that boats are insured and certified for the benefit of other users of a contiguous water. Some might also suggest that it ensures an income stream for Authority aspirations but of course that would be a totally spurious suggestion!  

• Like 2