More Advice Please On Survey And Moving A Boat

Evening all,

So if/ when I find the boat where do I find the right person to carry out the survey? (The forum sub section is empty). I presume I don`t want somebody that the broker recommends is that correct?

Secondly if the boat was a full day or more away from the moorings as a beginner that is a daunting journey I wouldn`t want to undertake so could I pay a skipper or would you put it on a lowloader?

(Any volunteer skipper want to step forward? either here or via a pm please do so.)

Thanks in advance guys n gals.

If she is on the Broads then a volunteer delivery crew is guaranteed, in return for a full English. Lowloaders are good, so long as the driver understands boats. Re brokers and surveyors,  get the right of both and not a problem, at least on the Broads. Would be quite happy to take a preliminary peep. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If she is on the Broads then a volunteer delivery crew is guaranteed, in return for a full English. Lowloaders are good, so long as the driver understands boats. Re brokers and surveyors,  get the right of both and not a problem, at least on the Broads. Would be quite happy to take a preliminary peep. 

Thanks JM, perhaps volunteer wasn`t quite the right word, really meant fully paid day rate with full English and use of my wallet for  :default_beerchug: in return for teaching me as we travel, bring your own choice of cd`s!

There are a boat load (Pun intended) of Skippers who will help you transit your boat from one location to another if it's on the Broads - Robin aka London rascal is on your doorstep and readily available.  With enough notice I would volunteer but my work / social diary is constantly chokka (Just had to turn down a 50th Bday party afloat on a canal boat in June as already booked)

If you want her moved via the green and crinckly stuff then the choice of skippers is somewhat more limited but still plenty of us around with these hallowed pages

Griff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

Thanks JM, perhaps volunteer wasn`t quite the right word, really meant fully paid day rate with full English and use of my wallet for  :default_beerchug: in return for teaching me as we travel, bring your own choice of cd`s!

Volunteer is most certainly the right word! We just love the opportunity to help/show off to new brethren of the rhond. CDs might include The Singing Postman, just to teach you how to talk proper! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHe4tMN6IeE

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Volunteer is most certainly the right word! We just love the opportunity to help/show off to new brethren of the rhond. CDs might include The Singing Postman, just to teach you how to talk proper! 

Bring whatever music you like, if I don`t like your choice I`ll take the hearing aids out! :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

Saw this on Face Book Market Place:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1828751734100268

These boats have their fans, few problems in mooring, manageable, good to learn on, great fun, fits under Broads bridges, good first rung on the ladder and if you don't then like boating you can always sell it & you won't have lost a fortune! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Elysian (Mk 1 in this case) is a damned good boat, and will get under Potter bridge as long as there's 6' clearance. The pilots take Nyx under at 6',  I take it under myself if there's 6' 3" or more. Nyx is an Elysian Mk 2 but I believe the air draft is the same.

That one is a good price if it's in reasonable nick or better.

Note to Pumpmedic… Tjhere will be plenty of people on this forum (myself included) who will willingly help you get your boat from A to B on the broads. If it needs road haulage I can recommend Kingsley Farrington (if he's still doing it). He moved my last boat (St Christopher, 25' Seamaster) from Cosgrove to Wayford bridge but that was back in about 1995. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

The Elysian (Mk 1 in this case) is a damned good boat, and will get under Potter bridge as long as there's 6' clearance. The pilots take Nyx under at 6',  I take it under myself if there's 6' 3" or more. Nyx is an Elysian Mk 2 but I believe the air draft is the same.

That one is a good price if it's in reasonable nick or better.

Note to Pumpmedic… Tjhere will be plenty of people on this forum (myself included) who will willingly help you get your boat from A to B on the broads. If it needs road haulage I can recommend Kingsley Farrington (if he's still doing it). He moved my last boat (St Christopher, 25' Seamaster) from Cosgrove to Wayford bridge but that was back in about 1995. 

Chillout Solutions Boat Transport ( Paul and Yana ) now run out of Kingsley Farrington. They are boat owners and Paul is Owner Driver. They will do you an excellent job. They do alot of work for Windboats, pretty sure they took some Hardy boats to the Southampton show last year.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:36, grendel said:

or he could borrow Indie? though on her delivery trip, I dont think the crew were wanting bevvies as it was a  tad rough

heres a link to indies trip up from darn south 

it was proper rough when they went past us at dungeness.

IMG_8720.thumb.JPG.91cf7e5bc95def5611fd71516fc6d268.JPG

IMG_8725.thumb.JPG.d08d9184aefa9c040f67be32625f616c.JPG

IMG_8723.thumb.JPG.591a106e29045708bd8c8fdfe1b429b4.JPG

When I look at the bottom picture, a submarine term does apply here. Dive dive dive!