Car Talk

LondonRascal

6 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

Keep trying to retire from bikes but once it's in the blood.

I know the feeling.  I sold my last bike in 2009, but haven’t quite got it out of my blood yet.  I’m currently waiting for another 2-wheeled steed to be delivered from a dealers in Accrington, along with a new helmet.  Sadly, my leathers appear to have shrunk whilst they’ve been hanging in my wardrobe over the last 12 years, but my gloves and boots still fit at least.  

18th March is the big day.  Just hope it’s not raining!!

• Like 2

My last bike.  Had some fun on this one!!  The next one will be far more sensible, though.  An operation on my right wrist almost 9 years ago to repair damage caused when trying to open a seized stopcock (yes, really) means that sports bikes are no longer an option.

Malc's Suzuki 013.JPG

• Like 1

I sold my last bike over two years ago. While browsing on Facebook last October I was amazed to find one of my old bikes up for sale.

12 years ago when I first me Hele our first date was a trip on this bike to the Ace cafe in London and we also did most of the BSB rounds that year aboard that bike (Hele’s cousin rode in the KTM RC8 series). 

After a lot of negotiations I finally became the new owner but as I had bought it sight unseen I was disappointed to see it was missing parts the paintwork was terrible and it generally needed lots of tlc. It finally passed its MOT last week so looking forward to getting back out on her.  

78B9F730-2F08-4D73-8A28-C37ADEE2A91D.jpeg

AEFA1525-0CD2-4853-86B2-7A9ABF9AEDA5.jpeg

D3993BEF-D7D5-4150-8772-532D5535209B.jpeg

ADC898D6-0667-4A6E-9719-4E804C7B75A0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

I sold my last bike over two years ago. While browsing on Facebook last October I was amazed to find one of my old bikes up for sale.

12 years ago when I first me Hele our first date was a trip on this bike to the Ace cafe in London and we also did most of the BSB rounds that year aboard that bike (Hele’s cousin rode in the KTM RC8 series). 

After a lot of negotiations I finally became the new owner but as I had bought it sight unseen I was disappointed to see it was missing parts the paintwork was terrible and it generally needed lots of tlc. It finally passed its MOT last week so looking forward to getting back out on her.  

Looks good.  I tried a Firestorm before I bought the SV, but preferred the Suzuki.  Can’t remember why, as they are quite similar, but I do like the sound of a V-twin.

Ebay-Jan09 043.JPG

• Like 2

Now I'm sure that I don't need to explain to those of us that own or part own a vessel how expensive purchasing items that are packaged or marked down as 'Marine' are - Rip off in most cases as the same items can often be sourced from other outlets without the Marine' price tag far cheaper

It also applies to the car world too.  This I have known about for an age.

Here's an example, I'm after purchasing a set of four mudflaps for MrsG's new car which we should be collecting this week (Well, that is to say it is new to her)

Dealer part delivered £148:99

Ebay with exactly same part number stating 'OEM', delivered £37:00

A saving of only £112:00 - Wow !!

Griff

We just had to mot Katie’s Mercedes , 5 years old and 47,000 miles , four tyres , battery , service and two rear suspension ball joint arms (which had to be Mercedes as no patent part in production) total cost over £1800 and that’s using my mechanic , the same job with the local merc dealer would have cost over £3000 !!!!!!!

my last motorbike was a GPZ900R one of the first true super bikes , loved it still considering getting another bike 

I have just had the propshaft replaced on the VW Touareg because the support bush failed, then the UJ fell apart when the prop was removed. VW only supply the full prop with UJ. £1100 plus Vat and fitting.  My garage souced a patten part at £550.

Last month the Lexus LS430 rear air suspension failed on one side, turned out the control valve also need replacing. They checked the other, that also needed replacing as it was failing and the full electric rear seats and parcel shelf have to come out, 2 1/2  hours work plus the same to refit, it made sense to do both.

Lexus price for parts, £3200 plus Vat.

Patten parts, £1200.

It has been an expensive few weeks but could have been a lot worse using main dealer parts.

7 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

my last motorbike was a GPZ900R one of the first true super bikes , loved it still considering getting another bike 

I remember well when these were launched, a friend of mine use to race a dunstall Suzuki GT750 and I went to snetterton to watch him.

A guy turned up in a van with a brand new GPZ ( they weren’t even available from the dealer at this point)  missed the practice as he had to mod the bike for the track. Lined up for the first race at the back of the grid by the first corner he was in the lead but unfortunately didn’t make the bend.  I came back to the pits in a very sorry state and was quickly put back in the van. My friend managed to finish second and then rode the bike back home. 

On 07/03/2021 at 20:28, Mouldy said:

I’m currently waiting for another 2-wheeled steed to be delivered from a dealers in Accrington, along with a new helmet.

Come on dish the dirt, what is it going to be?

Sod all this car talk, it's about time it got round to proper things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Come on dish the dirt, what is it going to be?

I’ve gone all soft this time.  As I approach the age of 65, it’s far too late for a mid-life crisis sports bike, so I’ve settled for a BMW R1150RT, complete with heated grips, indicators (!) and a radio (ffs!).  
It’s old, but that fits with me and not to expensive to insure, so ideal for my requirements.  I’ll post pictures when it arrives.

I was only planning getting a small 125cc bike to runaround locally on. For me it would have  been going full circle, first 125 at 17 was a Kawasiki 125 f6 trail bike, some of the scrambler type retro bikes coming out now are very similar, was worried 125cc would be a bit underpowered so went for a 250. Still in the process of buying it, watch this space for a photo when it arrives.

Sold one of mine this week,Ducati Multistrada, just struggling to move it around the garage, going to buy something smaller and fun that won't kill me, 150bhp at my age is not sensible, might settle for about a third of that !

I like the Kawasaki Doug, they have to be a future classic, earlier Japanese are very silly prices.

This is the only 2 wheeled steed that I currently own, a rather protracted project that may get finished 'one day'.

Owned plenty of other stuff over the years but not had anything on the road for 5 years or so, boats have taken over(and increased!)the toys budget somewhat.

20190911_194655.jpg

20190916_232943.jpg

20191109_185551.jpg

20191118_224211.jpg

Guest Jayfire
On 09/03/2021 at 08:07, Mouldy said:

I’ve gone all soft this time.

Me too :facepalm:

For maybe the first time in my life I've been sensible, I finalised the purchase of my new (to me) bike and this time it isn't a Fireblade :default_crying1animated:

Should still make trips to certain coasts much much quicker however :default_norty: And I'm sure to ride it sensibly :default_smiley-angelic002:

On 09/03/2021 at 12:05, WherryNice said:

This is the only 2 wheeled steed that I currently own, a rather protracted project that may get finished 'one day'.

Owned plenty of other stuff over the years but not had anything on the road for 5 years or so, boats have taken over(and increased!)the toys budget somewhat.

20190911_194655.jpg

20190916_232943.jpg

20191109_185551.jpg

20191118_224211.jpg

Best garage ever! :default_smiley-char054:

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire
7 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Sooooo whatcha getting??

It's a 2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

......with panniers and top box for when I go 2 up or I'm carting my booze to the boat :default_norty:

Honestly, what was I thinking being all sensible :facepalm:

20 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

It's a 2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

......with panniers and top box for when I go 2 up or I'm carting my booze to the boat :default_norty:

Honestly, what was I thinking being all sensible :facepalm:

I was almost tempted by one of those, but I had a bad experience (financially) with a Triumph Daytona 955i before my SV1000S. It seemed to prefer the inside of the dealers workshop to my garage and each visit cost me far too much.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t forget that experience, which deterred me from buying another one.

Love the sound of a triple, though.  Hope yours is better than mine was.