Car Talk

LondonRascal

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

In case of any misunderstanding, that joke was from what? The 70`s or 80`s maybe and long before VAG group took over in `91. I would agree with the thinking mans VW friend of yours. 

PS Once saw one with VW badges applied - Sad git fooling nobody or somebody making a point?

No misunderstanding Kev.  Folk poke fun even now and I’ve heard them all (I think).  As far as I’m concerned, the jokes on them.  They are basically rebadged VW’s and I’ve been very happy with mine.

1 minute ago, thunder said:

We've had an Octavia since 2006 we did a trouble free 142000miles with it , my daughter is still using it daily now with 189000 trouble free miles, only routine servicing and mot costs, great cars 

Only have to look at what Taxi & Private Hire drivers use other than hybrid of course. 

Has it had the recall to fit indicators? 

Probably the first item I checked :default_laugh:  If they are not the brighter LED's - They soon will be :default_norty:

I have since found the oil level displayed via the onboard display screen.  Not too chuffed about the lack of a dipstick as I wanted to check the condition of the oil.  Re sump plugs - Now of course you have got me thinking has it actually got one?  Every vehicle I have ever owned (Including the mighty Tiger) I have changed the sump plug over to a magnetic one  I will do so with this Q5, it will be beneficial especially considering it has only 12k miles on t clock

I need to get stuck into the owners manual, it will make interesting evening reading no doubt, not had a chance as of yet, it only arrived on our drive yesterday in the dusk, I've been at work all day - just got in and having to work tomorrow too - yet again through no fault of my own I will add :default_sad:

I was ordering some on line farkles last night.  I tried to order a K&N air filter but there are two differing types listed.  I emailed the suppliers asking which one.  They replied stating that is correct as they are indeed two differing sizes / types and advised I measure the standard one fitted then order accordingly.  Now they have said that, they have saved me a job of having a look-see as ours will bound to be the more expensive one  :default_icon_rolleyes:

There's no spare wheel / tyre fitted either instead they supply a compressor and a tin of 'gunk'.  Unlike Trevor Transit, it is pointless me sourcing a spare wheel / tyre as in the boot well where one could be stowed, I can't as there is a large round plastic unit with cables going into it, I suspect it's a sub woofer - further investigation needed

Griff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thunder said:

I was told that the reason behind the electronic sensor was so that you cannot do your own oil changes! Once the sensor detects low oil it shuts the engine down and can only be reset by Mercedes. keeps servicing in house

Resetting the Mercedes oil and service lights is very straightforward using the steering wheel buttons. Any action to restrict servicing to a dealer network would contravene EU conventions. VAG group were fined by the EU for doing so about five years ago. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Paul said:

Resetting the Mercedes oil and service lights is very straightforward using the steering wheel buttons. Any action to restrict servicing to a dealer network would contravene EU conventions. VAG group were fined by the EU for doing so about five years ago. 

Mine being a slightly older AMG I still have a dipstick, but can reset the service warnings via the wheel controls.

I'm probably a bit of an old luddite but I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about modern cars, there seems far to much in the way of needless electronic gimmicky. Frankly I'm surprised that manufactures haven't stopped fitting a bonnet release saying that they don't as there are no user serviceable parts inside. I was thinking of buying a new car last year and went to the extent of looking at a few. They were all OK in their way albeit a bit soulless. In the end as I don't do a huge mileage since retiring the longest distance being 220miles going to the boat I decided to stick to my Rover 3 ltr and collection of 3 Rover 75's untill I hang up my steering wheel.

• Like 5

I can still name almost any car from the 50's to 70's as soon as it's in view. Now I can't tell one from another until the badge and name decal is readable! Designed by computer, most of them, that's why they all look the same.

• Like 3

My late father would have found todays cars very disappointing. He would buy a car and before we were allowed  out in it he would have taken it into his garage, stripped down the engine and made absolutely sure it was exactly as it should be. He was a brilliant mechanic and worked on Hurricanes and Spitfires for the duration of the war,. Sadly he developed Altzheimers in later lifer and spent the last 3 years of his life in residential care. However he never forgot  his knowledge of engines and the staff at his care home many of whom owned old somewhat unreliable cars used to get him to look at their cars when they were giving trouble and he used to know exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. They used to say he saved them a fortune.

Carole

• Like 2

Hi Carole i was simuler every new car i had i would remove and grease all suspicion bolts and any bolts on the engine that held alternator, steering pump,wiper arms etc then i would spray all underneath with Wax Oil also grease battery terminals, i do the same with metal parts on my boats nothing worse than taking 3 hrs to change /adjust something that should only take 20 minutes just because its sized, front upper shock absorber bolts on Cortinas were a classic example all for lack a smear of grease/oil when built and another pet hate is the useless white silicone grease that  garages spray on door hinges just because its easier than use a oil can. John

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 08:07, Mouldy said:

I’ve gone all soft this time.  As I approach the age of 65, it’s far too late for a mid-life crisis sports bike, so I’ve settled for a BMW R1150RT, complete with heated grips, indicators (!) and a radio (ffs!).  
It’s old, but that fits with me and not to expensive to insure, so ideal for my requirements.  I’ll post pictures when it arrives.

So it’s here.  A 2004 BMW R1150RT, with just 22,250 miles on the clock, delivered this morning.  Just wait for the rain to stop and we’ll have to go for a short ride.

AAD5A3EB-4A37-4957-BEB7-F717BBDC3B34.jpeg

• Like 8

Had one of those. Was my last bike before giving up biking for good. Covered most of the UK on it, Toured Northern Ireland twice including going round the Northwest 200 route, Holland and Germany twice too. Never missed a beat and I usually got around 210 miles to a tank of fuel. I sold my 1200 Trophy to get it and would have another in a heart beat. Best bike I ever owned.

• Like 1

These days I have solved the car servicing and choice problem by not owning one. After years of needing a car to transport family, get to work etc, I now find myself with only a short cycle ride to work, even though it's in a different country. All the local amenities are within easy walking/cycling, so if I do need a car I just hire one. It costs less and if anything goes wrong it's somebody else's problem.

I do miss the old days of tinkering with cars, particularly the vintag Landrovers I have owned, but all in all I have found not owning a car to be one of the best transport decisions I have made. I still might be tempted by another motorbike though.

20 hours ago, Mouldy said:

So it’s here.  A 2004 BMW R1150RT, with just 22,250 miles on the clock, delivered this morning.  Just wait for the rain to stop and we’ll have to go for a short ride.

Blimey that looks more "old man ish" than my TDM....

Hope you enjoy it Mouldy.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mouldy said:

They are a fantastic bike to ride mine had heated seats heated grips cruise control sat nav and lots more only problem I found it was a big wide bike to use every day. 

99CA83EA-A412-4449-A38F-DAE1664467BC.jpeg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

They are a fantastic bike to ride mine had heated seats heated grips cruise control sat nav and lots more only problem I found it was a big wide bike to use every day. 

99CA83EA-A412-4449-A38F-DAE1664467BC.jpeg

I see you had the R1200RT.  Mine is the R1150RT, but they are quite similar in many respects.  When we eventually move to Norfolk, my plan is to use the bike to visit the boat and the occasional visit to the North Norfolk coast for a day out, whilst the wife is at work.  The bungalow we are trying to buy needs quite a lot of work and I need to give myself a chance to enjoy some retirement and have some relief from painting, decorating and gardening.  The size, for what I intend to use it for, isn’t really an issue.

• Like 1

The boxer engined BMW are brilliant, we had an early GS, bought to tour Ireland, heated grips were a fairly new thing on a factory bike, perfect for touring in Ireland late August, I think it stopped raining for half an hour in 3 weeks. Last day thought we would have wander around Dublin before we caught the ferry, got back to the bike to find an old chap using the bike as a pulpit, wouldn't budge until he had finished preaching, only just got the ferry, only in Ireland.

• Like 2

I like Moto Guzzi too, incidentally yesterday was 100 year anniversary of the factory, Moto Guzzi owners were asked not to go out on their bike for a celebration ride as the RAC and AA are already under pressure !