Car Talk

LondonRascal

Cars ain’t cars anymore.... There boring with no characters.... They all look the same...build quality and aftercare service is crap... No enjoyment at all...

I’m big petrol head...cars from yesterday years.... Bring back 60s 70s 80s models back... cars with great characters... 

• Thanks 2

Yep scrumpy totally agree, Marina, Allegro,Ital, Ambassador,Cortina all kept us poor underpaid mechanics in employment, meanwhile the Fiats rotted away gently in the sun and the lancias returned to iron oxide quicker than it`s 0 to 60 time. My old college lecturer used to say to all the apprentices, "They don`t make cars like they used to and I say thank f*** "!  lol

Paul

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, finny said:

We have an old boy (73 ) live across from us who sadly lost his lovely wife last year just bought a fabulous looking mx5 - flat cap and new leather gloves and good luck too him I say :default_biggrin:

finny

Likewise but my neighbour of same age went for a secondhand 3 series BMW soft top. 

46 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

What`s mid life crisis that passed me bye...

I never treated cars as a status symbol to try to impress people with - they are just a convienient way to get from A to B in reasonable comfort.

I was 57 when I took delivery of this - which turned a few heads at our local airfield, particularly when it gave me a significant improvement in cross-country flying:

D-KBHM.jpg

This is the image that appears on our old TomTom when switching it on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Cars ain’t cars anymore.... There boring with no characters.... They all look the same...build quality and aftercare service is crap... No enjoyment at all...

I’m big petrol head...cars from yesterday years.... Bring back 60s 70s 80s models back... cars with great characters... 

2 hours ago, scaniaman said:

Yep scrumpy totally agree, Marina, Allegro,Ital, Ambassador,Cortina all kept us poor underpaid mechanics in employment, meanwhile the Fiats rotted away gently in the sun and the lancias returned to iron oxide quicker than it`s 0 to 60 time. My old college lecturer used to say to all the apprentices, "They don`t make cars like they used to and I say thank f*** "!  lol

Paul

Currently sat on my drive....

20170907_085423.thumb.jpg.8c427c65017deb09b23393dbd219ee85.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

You provide the vehicle, I'll change the gears.

I could come up in it next trip if you wanna go?

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Even better, give up the cars and get back to the boats where you belong!!

Shouldn't you be varnishing something? :default_smiley-taunt014: 

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

What's a "service" ? 

Well it depends, most new cars have certain requirements dependent on age or millage which ever comes first. You have a mid and major service. A mid is usually just a visual check over things, and an oil and filter change. A major is where the fuel filter is changed the air intake filter for the engine and the air filter for the cabin are changed. Oil and filter is also changed. Then as time passes certain other things are added in like brake fluid being changed, coolant flushed and changed, transmission fluid being changed or differential oil too. 

Of course over time things wear, like shocks and brakes and lower control arms etc which are outside the usual 'service' remit but might be drawn to your attention during one, or of course on an MOT.

Now If I take delivery of the Mercedes, then it will go in for a 'full service' because I do not know how through the last owner was really. Also, it will be nice to know from as soon as feasible after I am the owner the correct oil is in the car, that the correct filters are used and things like cabin air filters which can be left off peoples radar to have changed are done. Next up will be to check the pressure on the air conditioning system and re-gas as required. New front discs will be needed, but all round pads again - and new break fluid. A flush of the transmission fluid will be done and fresh put in. If there is anything else that is found to be needed then I will have that sorted too. Then I will feel comfortable and the car will be fit for how I like it to be.

I expect however in all honesty to go off the car in a short period of time and then use it as handy part exchange tool and go through a few other cars I want to have a go in, but I would like to say I have experienced a convertible for a few months. Of  course in the case of this car it is likely that the car has been 'thrashed' a bit, after all it is powerful car with a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds and no doubt many will have enjoyed having a heavy right foot both on the accelerator and brakes but as it is a second car that won't get a lot of use, I am not as worried about the future quite in the same way as I am about the BMW.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Pull stick out of dashboard towards you with a twist to the right for first, twist left for second, third was twist to central and pull again for third and fourth with a twist?

Reverse haven`t a clue :default_sad:

Wasn`t the dashboard that was a Renault 5, gearshift was a 4ft long stick coming out of the floor near the bulkhead?

I had a Victor with a three gear column change and bench seats (very inconvenient for casual nookie!), cost me £12.00! One christmas day on the way to work (hospital) the bloody thing snapped inside the colum and the lever was stirring fresh air. Student nurse wages didn't run to a repair and it was replaced by a Mk1 Cortina for £24.00!

• Haha 1