A Spring Sojourn

DAVIDH

Saturday 20th April
The alarm went off at 7.30am and conscious that I would need all four and a half hours to prepare Goosander for the next owners, I was straight up to put the kettle on. Breakfast was cereal – I was not going to muck the cooker up and make even more work for myself. Once breakfast was over, I started the task of removing my belongings back to the car in order to make some room to clean! When you first board Goosander, the first thing you notice is how spotless the big picture windows look – not a smear in sight. So which way round. Should I do the windows first so the “rinsings” run onto the deck to be mopped when I clean the superstructure later? Or do I do the windows last after the rest has been cleaned? It seems obvious now but I chose to clean the windows first. That was a stupid move. The windows were indeed sparkling by the time I had finished but were soon mucked up again when I was cleaning down the superstructure. Realising my mistake, my only move was to carefully wash/ wipe everything with a dishcloth to minimise the splashes on my pristine windows. It took much longer than it should have done. Boulters, where Goosander is moored, opens at 8.30am and I was wondering if I should take her around for toilet pump out as soon as they opened, in the event they were going to be busy. As soon as I saw the doors open, I maneuvered Goosander into position and the dirty deed was done. Just in time too as another boat was already waiting impatiently for me to get out of the way. Looking at my watch, I realised for once, I was going to get away on time so I had a brief chat with some people in the next boat to Goosander. They were enquiring how the syndicate boat share worked so I invited them onboard so they could see for themselves. They were suitably impressed. They were the second couple I had invited to look around whilst away this week. The way I see it is if I create interest for the syndicate then not only should it provide future buyers when someone wants to sell (not me) but a greater demand will hopefully keep the price up.

So the car was packed and I was on my way just gone 11am. I called in at Roy’s – they are in Wroxham did you know? to buy a crystal pendant I wanted to take back as a present, then on to Brundall for what would be my final meal in Norfolk. I have already stated my favourite pub on the Broads is the Yare, so it would not have been right to leave without a visit. It was a beautiful warm day, and many people were sat outside on the benches. I have to say I was quite irritated that I was leaving in this weather! I stepped inside and found a table, already knowing what I was going to order. My final meal was the chicken pieces done in batter. It duly arrived and looking at it I realised I had done it again. I had forgotten to ask for the rice to be changed for chips. The same mistake I made on my last visit. Nevertheless, it was scrumptious – and the rice wasn’t bad either. Then it’s just the sorry tale of a long drive home to Leeds, which was actually the least congested journey I have had to date. Being Easter Saturday, I thought the roads would have been jammed, but it seemed everybody had already got to where they wanted to be, and it was too early for them to start back home again yet. 

Observations
Most (not all) boats looked to have been cared for over the winter and were now sparkling and clean. In particular, I though Bridgecraft’s boats looked really good as they went by, especially when in full sun. They really do look after their boats. Springtime is a good time to visit.

I wish people would be more thoughtful when mooring their boats, to not leave gaps between them. When mooring, wherever I end up, I will pull Goosander along to the nearest boat so more people can get in. Thinking about it, newcomers probably aim for the largest gaps then deliberately leave space in front to give them more room to get their boats out again, so it’s probably a no-win situation.

Once more, you could not help but notice how many of the big flashy new hire boats were out. My guess is that they make up around 25% of the Broads fleet, but they represented around 50% of the boats I saw on the holiday. It’s good to see that the Broads can attract people who spend sums in excess of what they would pay for a 4/5 star hotel on the Med. I think the fact that I keep seeing them out, signifies that
they are not on the whole, disappointed with the Broads product, and that augers well for the future.

Thanks to everyone who had the patience to read my ramblings. I always set out to keep the tale to a minimum but seem to get a full head of steam and find it difficult to put the brakes on! As I didn't take any photos on Saturday morning, here are a few I missed out earlier:

Where does this path lead to?

DSC02986.JPG

No prizes for where this isDSC03009.JPG

Upton DSC03069.JPG

Those Bridgecraft boats really sparkled in the sunDSC03073.JPG

AcleDSC03116.JPG

Anybody care to guess where I photographed this character?heron.jpg

Awwwwwducks.jpg

• Like 10

Nice write up David.  I always enjoy reading about other folks exploits and seeing their photos.  I particularly like the drone shots . . . . .I’ve thought about buying one myself, but fear that it wouldn’t last too long before landing in the drink!!

It seems a long wait for us now until September, when we’re back on Moonlight Shadow again.

8 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Great read once again David. I think your Upton picture might be Rockland though!

Quite right. It is Rockland. I didn't even visit Upton Dyke so heaven knows where that came from!

11 hours ago, Ray said:

Really enjoyed reading your holiday blog David, I hope you don't have too long to wait until your next cruise

My next week is the beginning of July. Looking forward to taking the boat out in (hopefully) warmer weather.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Great read. Glad your share in Goosander is proving to be money well spent. Love seeing your photos. :)

Thanks Jean. I am keeping a sort of log of how much I would have spent on hiring, set against the capital and ongoing costs of having Goosander. After the fees are deducted, I will have saved £2,525 up until the end of this year  - or to put it another way, that money would offset the initial £5,000 outlay. I have not included any winter weeks in the calculation as I probably would not have hired at that time. So it's an honest calculation and as you can see, within the next two years, I should have made back the value of the investment and still own it to sell on later.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I particularly like the drone shots . . . . .I’ve thought about buying one myself, but fear that it wouldn’t last too long before landing in the drink!!

Yes, I have that fear every time I launch it! I just try to be really focused, take no risks with battery time and avoid flying anytime the wind is over 15 miles per hour. So far so good!

Thanks for the write up David. You always write very well and no need to shorten in my view. Indeed Bridge Craft always look clean and over the winter I enjoyed reading their Facebook updates on the maintenance work they were doing. They can only fit one boat in the shed at the time but each one that goes in gets a thorough sort out of all the damage that hirers have done through the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

Yes, I have that fear every time I launch it! I just try to be really focused, take no risks with battery time and avoid flying anytime the wind is over 15 miles per hour. So far so good!

On that topic David, I know you've answered this before but what drone do you use and would you recommend it? 

I wouldn't mind investing in one at some point if I can find the pennies

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Quite right. It is Rockland. I didn't even visit Upton Dyke so heaven knows where that came from!

I must admit I was wondering how those boats managed to moor stern on down Upton Dyke!!

Enjoyed your write up very much David, such good photos too. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jayfire said:

On that topic David, I know you've answered this before but what drone do you use and would you recommend it? 

I wouldn't mind investing in one at some point if I can find the pennies

Jay, the drone I have is a Hubsan H501SS. Looking at Amazon, you can get one for £150 at the moment:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hubsan-H501S-BRUSHELESS-Quadcopter-Automatic/dp/B01N6NX01J/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hubsan+h501ss&qid=1557063206&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I definitely think it is good value. The drone, as you can see, provides really good images. It's not that difficult to control and has some safety features such a return to home button if you lose sight of it. It also has GPS which makes it stable in flight - if you take your hands off the controller, it will just stay still where it is. The batteries afford around 20 to 25 minutes flight which is good for a drone. The video at 1080p is fast enough but as the camera has no dampening, it can seem a little jerky at times. Having said that there are a few free apps around which will smooth it out. I would go for the "501SS" rather than the "501A" , as I find the integrated screen much more practical than attaching a smartphone. Another really big plus is that if you do lose it, at least you have not paid the £300 to £600 you would have lost with some other comparable drones. 

• Like 3

Thanks Jean. I am keeping a sort of log of how much I would have spent on hiring, set against the capital and ongoing costs of having Goosander. After the fees are deducted, I will have saved £2,525 up until the end of this year  - or to put it another way, that money would offset the initial £5,000 outlay. I have not included any winter weeks in the calculation as I probably would not have hired at that time. So it's an honest calculation and as you can see, within the next two years, I should have made back the value of the investment and still own it to sell on later.

Awesome numbers. I gave up calculating my syndicate savings when they hit £10k as I doubt anybody was believing me anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

Awesome numbers. I gave up calculating my syndicate savings when they hit £10k as I doubt anybody was believing me anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Hi Matt,

We get the same comments, I am on my 41st week on the Broads with still two weeks to use again this year. Without the aid of a syndicate share I would never have afforded to come down to the since 2001.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

David, I have to admit, if I had to spend 4 hours cleaning the boat at the end of my trip I would hate it. Do any of the syndicate owners pay to have the boat cleaned? 

Not in our syndicate. I would gladly pay £40-£50 for this service but unless others want it, then it means there is only work for someone 3 to 4 Saturdays per year. That's not enough for anyone to find attractive so it wouldn't work. It's not so bad for other owners either as they are all couples and can share the work between them. Just have to take the rough with the smooth!  

• Like 1

David, I have to admit, if I had to spend 4 hours cleaning the boat at the end of my trip I would hate it. Do any of the syndicate owners pay to have the boat cleaned? 
We have the option at Richardson's - It's £25 + VAT and yes well worth it.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

We have the option at Richardson's - It's £25 + VAT and yes well worth it.

Wow, that is a good price. Is that just for internal cleaning or do they include external items such as windows and decks?

1 minute ago, oldgregg said:

Oh no the internal cleaning is built into our running costs! Makes sense I think as 'clean' is quite a subjective thing.

That would suit me much better I think. Not that I'm adverse to doing cleaning at home but on a boat I'd rather pay someone else to do it. 

• Like 2

On that topic David, I know you've answered this before but what drone do you use and would you recommend it?  I wouldn't mind investing in one at some point if I can find the pennies

Everyone's mileage will vary but it's worth looking at a used DJI Spark (with warranty!) as they're very stable and quite cheap now.

Crashing a DJI drone can be painful (I should know) but there's little work to do with the footage which comes out of them. Swings and roundabouts.

Dave, as mentioned elsewhere  the £25.00 is a choice for owners to have an  external clean on Thunder by Ricos , whilst  the internal is done weekly via hired cleaners sourced by BCBM and paid out of running costs. There is a perennial debate as to if the internal clean  is value for money as the syndicate pays the cleaners fixed  weekly as part of the contract so owners cant pick and chose to do it themselves on individual weeks  and not pay. If there are enough on Goosander who support the idea of  fixed weekly hired cleans it might be worth checking with BCBM and ask if they can give you the nbr for a quote.  They do three syndicate  boats at Richardsons in Horning  already  so would be easy for them to come  across opposite and clean Goosander as well      ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark said:

They do three syndicate  boats at Richardsons in Horning  already  so would be easy for them to come  across opposite and clean Goosander as well      ? 

Although they do the annual upholstery deep clean on Silver Cloud, the weekly clean is either be done by the owner or by a local owner at £25 to an exceedingly high standard. 

Fred