Old Yarmouth Marina

dave3581

4 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I think you're just being cynical. The original application also had one of the moorings reserved for the BA as well and we all know what happened to that application!

The report states that the proposed "BA" mooring is for de -masting purposes and that it- is still under consideration.

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

The report states that the proposed "BA" mooring is for de -masting purposes and that it- is still under consideration.

De-masting?, how many ranger launches have masts?, errrrrr none I think.  Or could it be just another stopping off point for the BA to pull up and use their totally and wildly inaccurate unsteady hand held speed cameras from?. 

Sorry, it's just me being overly synical again. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Well Nyx and I did our best to enlarge the opening!

Well I'm just waiting to fit my boat out with a couple of torpedo tubes to help out the situation. Plus they will help out with those flappy things that have intoxicated sailors that meander from one side of the river to the other.:default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

I seem to have missed something again. . . 

I thought the bye-laws state that the BA is not responsible for navigation on that part of the river. They start upstream of the Marina Quays on the next bend, where the 6MPH speed limit starts.

32 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I seem to have missed something again. . . 

I thought the bye-laws state that the BA is not responsible for navigation on that part of the river. They start upstream of the Marina Quays on the next bend, where the 6MPH speed limit starts.

My understanding is that when Breydon was taken over by the BA they also took on the remaining lower reaches of the Bure.

2 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

Well I'm just waiting to fit my boat out with a couple of torpedo tubes to help out the situation.

If you find any give Richard MTB102 a shout he could be looking for some originals

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

My understanding is that when Breydon was taken over by the BA they also took on the remaining lower reaches of the Bure.

That is true, along with stretches of the Lower Waveney, Lower Yare, The New Cut and Mutford Lock. What they have failed to do is update the speed byelaws. So does the old 7 knot limit imposed by Peel Ports still apply? has that been repealed as part of the BA taking over, and if so, then the BA have not yet introduced a speed limit. This means that technically there is no speed limit past the yacht station!

• Like 3

There is at the moment no speed limit on Breydon which means that the Brundall Navy et al are quite entitled to give it the big one, as they do quite legally. However other BA bylaws quite sensibly kick in, such as not speeding in a way that is detrimental to other users.  Should people behave then I see no reason to extend the speedlimit to Breydon,  must let the boys have somewhere to play with their toys and Breydon is ideal!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

There is at the moment no speed limit on Breydon which means that the Brundall Navy et al are quite entitled to give it the big one, as they do quite legally. However other BA bylaws quite sensibly kick in, such as not speeding in a way that is detrimental to other users.  Should people behave then I see no reason to extend the speedlimit to Breydon,  must let the boys have somewhere to play with their toys and Breydon is ideal!!

Oh , but what about the wildlife ? :default_blush:  Breydon holds a greater diversity of birds than pretty much all the rest of the Broads together !

Build the 'boys' a Marina at Cobholm ( it has been suggested) and let 'em play offshore !

38 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Oh , but what about the wildlife ? :default_blush:  Breydon holds a greater diversity of birds than pretty much all the rest of the Broads together !

The wash of half a dozen strong gaggle of playful boys toys at speed won't compare to even half of a half decent gale on Breydon!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poppy said:

Build the 'boys' a Marina at Cobholm ( it has been suggested) and let 'em play offshore !

Plenty of marina space on Lake Lothing.  Moor there then the 'boys' can blast away down to Southwold.  Build at Cobham then they can blast away down to Lowestoft, errr, perhaps not! Good facilities for the 'toys' at Lowestoft but perhaps it's more of a go from place rather than a go to one.

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/07/2019 at 06:13, Cockatoo said:

Last time we went by some crackhead was sitting in the doorway with a fire burning against the door. We rang 999 and a fire engine, accompanied by police, were sent out. The police rang us back later to update us but they didn't find the crackhead. Still, he probably would have only got a slapped wrist anyway :facepalm:

Looks like he has been back Steve. It burnt down Friday night!

The fire crew were there for 8 hours so it must have gone up well.

Oh dear.

It wasn't looking that great a couple of weeks ago. But better than that.

image.png.f58c16b848b67afb62470bcad4f00d56.png

As for having someone take your ropes, when we arrived in the yacht station fairly close to low tide we were quite a long way down and I had to scramble up to get the ropes on.

Maybe if we'd waited someone would have come and helped, but all we knew was that they would come along and make sure we had them tied properly to cope with the tides (which they did), not take a rope in the first place.

46 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I took this picture in May and if you compare to Coryton's picture you can see how much it's deteriorated. I was going to ask when I took it, what was the building used for originally. It has the look of air traffic control about it. 

_20190819_203645.JPG

Good grief - it's gone downhill fast!

Being pedantic, it looks like something from a ground control tower at an airport (but a bit too low down).

It certainly would be nice to see something done with it - it's not exactly the most pleasant welcome to Great Yarmouth (not that the yacht station is a thing of beauty)

• Like 1

Isn`t it all under redevelopment?

2 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Good grief - it's gone downhill fast!

Being pedantic, it looks like something from a ground control tower at an airport (but a bit too low down).

It certainly would be nice to see something done with it - it's not exactly the most pleasant welcome to Great Yarmouth (not that the yacht station is a thing of beauty)

Isn`t it all under redevelopment?