The Locks

dredger

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't made it down there since its refurb, (unless I was too drunk to remember it :default_smiley-angelic002:) but I have to say I've heard good things about it from others.

Are we sure we aren't judging it as the pub that it was, and not on its potential merits (or negatives) as a pub that could potentially survive, rather than another pub that possibly ended up closing and we lost forever???

As I said, i haven't been so I am asking the question, but I'm heading down there next month for a proper lager drinkers review now that I've seen this :default_smiley-angelic002:

7 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I posted some photos on this thread 

https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16706-locks-pub/

Thank you for that , most interesting to read the comments about the menu .

I too feel that far too many pubs are trying to be too clever with their menus , imho it is hard to beat a quality ploughman’s with either a good Stilton or Cheddar , homemade pickles and fresh baked bread .

I love a fish curry , but in a curry house , I don’t want to go in a traditional pub and come out stinking of garam masala .

When I was in the trade the biggest sellers were the old classics , ham (home cooked) egg and chips , sausage and mash with onion gravy, ploughman’s (as above) , rare beef salad, homemade chilli and lasagne  and yes burger and chips along with the usual steaks , chicken and mixed grills cooked on a chargrill  , the sauces etc were served in pots not sachets , good honest food that people know and enjoy and aren’t a challenge to the taste buds .

• Like 3

Visited The Locks in June with not much expectation but was very pleasantly surprised. The food was good quality and well priced with service spot on. This was in contrast to many disappointing visits over the last few years with poor service and food very run of the mill. We were surprised at how busy it was also. Best bet is to judge yourself. One thing certain though, Susan will be looking down and wondering why are they serving food in my pub?

Fred

We wanted to go to the Locks a few weeks back, but the tides were Again against us, making Bridge clearance not possibility. I, ve been wanting to Moor there for lunch, or even overnight and have dinner for some time, but every time we get to Beccles, the tide is much too high. If the tides don't allow a trip up north when we're up in September, we may be able to get up there again. Even without going to the pub, it"s a beautiful place to Moor overnight. 

13 hours ago, Jayfire said:

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't made it down there since its refurb, (unless I was too drunk to remember it :default_smiley-angelic002:) but I have to say I've heard good things about it from others.

Are we sure we aren't judging it as the pub that it was, and not on its potential merits (or negatives) as a pub that could potentially survive, rather than another pub that possibly ended up closing and we lost forever???

As I said, i haven't been so I am asking the question, but I'm heading down there next month for a proper lager drinkers review now that I've seen this :default_smiley-angelic002:

I' don't think they keep 'Wifebeater' :default_gbxhmm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

I' don't think they keep 'Wifebeater' :default_gbxhmm:

I'm sure they'll get some in if I give them a ring beforehand, I tend to make it worthwhile :default_norty:

Failing that, I'll settle for a nice g&t, but only if they serve it in an obscenely large glass with a nice decoration :default_smiley-angelic002:

20190722_151618.jpg.b57d0c4781032cf69f6bab95e84b76b2.jpg

26 minutes ago, vanessan said:

What’s with the beetroot in it Cap’n? I like my gin unadulterated or, on the odd occasion, with tonic. 

I was just being facetious Mrs V, I like my gin served as pints :default_norty:

I nipped down yesterday lunch time to see what all the fuss was about. In terms of the rennovation then imagine some channel four (or 5) "grand designs" team getting to grips with a victorian house. Rip out the fireplaces and turn them into alcoves for the sound system, get rid of the period doors and refit with stainless steel and glass, remove the plaster cornice and victorian skirting mouldings and refit with upvc maintenance free stuff, then finally whitewash the whole lot, remove the solid oak floor and refit laminate and dig up the terracotta floor tiles and fit tile board. Now apply this to the locks. Everything that portrayed the character of the pub previously has been removed, with nothing added to replace any character, it is a sterile void. About the only thing to avoid the chop is the wisteria around the main door, which is no longer the main door but has been closed off to allow extra seating inside. There were half a dozen boats on the mooring, which were therefore full plus a similar number of cars in the car park. Most people were sitting outside enjoying the 90+ degree heat with just one table in the dining room occupied inside, we followed suit and grabbed the last table in the shade of the trees. 

I headed in to order drinks, though with the main door out of use you enter through the new ones between the old building and the dining room. You then have to fight your way through the archway into the bar which is blocked by people standing at the bar. The reason for the mass at the bar was a queue formed by the one person manning it chopping endless oranges in half and juicing them through an old electric juicer which kept clogging. Twenty minutes later I emerged with 2 diet cokes and a pint of Grain Best and rejoined the family on the lawn. Of the dozen or so tables occupied outside four were dining, the table next to ustook delivery of yoghurt chicken, which looked very nice and three other dishes which didn't,plus the biggest dish of cheesy chips, sorry haloumi fries, that I ever saw. The yoghurt chicken plate went back empty, the others only "picked" at. The fries went back largely untouched. 

Whilst I was filming by the mooring a lady returned to a large hire boat and declared the menu "awful", her words not mine, and that party emerged twenty minutes later with a picnic which they took across the bridge into the meadow opposite. 

Being objective, if I had just found the Locks I would probably quite like it. It is because I knew the special place that it once was and no longer is that I don't. The Grain Best was ok, average, nothing special but not a patch on Green Jack they used to sell or offerings from Humpty Dumpty and Woodfordes. They will eventually have to do something about the menu. I'm all for different options but they will have to offer more main stream options alongside to attract average diners. 

Of course, what I think doesn't really matter as my one or two visits per year will hardly be missed, they never paid the mortgage anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I fully understand times change and things move on.Marina and I will call in September, however it's the one pub that stands out in my memory. First visiting in the sixties  when Susan was landlady.those memories will stay with me.I have made my views on the menu very clear,in fairness over the years we have not eaten there that much.For us it's to enjoy the pub,not worrying about the food.Once we visit I will give my views good or bad.

• Like 4

I'm with Paul in the majority of his review, very comprehensive and well thought out. I think the unique character of the place has been lost. Grain beers are are good but I wonder how good the turnover is. 

The grub certainly seems to be an issue, they may get to grips with it, maybe trying appeal to gastro and Broads holiday makers alike. Look at the Bridge, not gastro but superb pub grub which keeps most folks happy. 

I've said it numerous times - Colin Smith really understood that business and maybe why he was there for 14 years. He maybe never made a fortune but certainly kept the pub in a manner which Susan Ellis and Walter Coe might have slightly approved. 

Progress I suppose. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Paul said:

I nipped down yesterday lunch time to see what all the fuss was about. In terms of the rennovation then imagine some channel four (or 5) "grand designs" team getting to grips with a victorian house. Rip out the fireplaces and turn them into alcoves for the sound system, get rid of the period doors and refit with stainless steel and glass, remove the plaster cornice and victorian skirting mouldings and refit with upvc maintenance free stuff, then finally whitewash the whole lot, remove the solid oak floor and refit laminate and dig up the terracotta floor tiles and fit tile board. Now apply this to the locks. Everything that portrayed the character of the pub previously has been removed, with nothing added to replace any character, it is a sterile void. About the only thing to avoid the chop is the wisteria around the main door, which is no longer the main door but has been closed off to allow extra seating inside. There were half a dozen boats on the mooring, which were therefore full plus a similar number of cars in the car park. Most people were sitting outside enjoying the 90+ degree heat with just one table in the dining room occupied inside, we followed suit and grabbed the last table in the shade of the trees. 

I headed in to order drinks, though with the main door out of use you enter through the new ones between the old building and the dining room. You then have to fight your way through the archway into the bar which is blocked by people standing at the bar. The reason for the mass at the bar was a queue formed by the one person manning it chopping endless oranges in half and juicing them through an old electric juicer which kept clogging. Twenty minutes later I emerged with 2 diet cokes and a pint of Grain Best and rejoined the family on the lawn. Of the dozen or so tables occupied outside four were dining, the table next to ustook delivery of yoghurt chicken, which looked very nice and three other dishes which didn't,plus the biggest dish of cheesy chips, sorry haloumi fries, that I ever saw. The yoghurt chicken plate went back empty, the others only "picked" at. The fries went back largely untouched. 

Whilst I was filming by the mooring a lady returned to a large hire boat and declared the menu "awful", her words not mine, and that party emerged twenty minutes later with a picnic which they took across the bridge into the meadow opposite. 

Being objective, if I had just found the Locks I would probably quite like it. It is because I knew the special place that it once was and no longer is that I don't. The Grain Best was ok, average, nothing special but not a patch on Green Jack they used to sell or offerings from Humpty Dumpty and Woodfordes. They will eventually have to do something about the menu. I'm all for different options but they will have to offer more main stream options alongside to attract average diners. 

Of course, what I think doesn't really matter as my one or two visits per year will hardly be missed, they never paid the mortgage anyway. 

Worthy of a review in 'Trip Advisor.'

Seems to be a bit of a ‘marmite’ place from the Trip Advisor reviews. When I was up that way last month I didn’t think it looked as inviting as it used to and there was no menu on view from outside as there used to be. What are ‘dirty chips’ please?

• Like 1

I do have some concerns if the new Locks can last, long term. Under Colin's tenure the Locks was a unique offering, not only attracting the all important holiday traffic but maintaining a regular local clientelle through the winter, albeit with limited opening hours. It also built up a regular smattering of the slightly weird. Dwile flonking, solstice celebrations, green man festival, etc. It will be interesting to see if the new Locks can, or even wants to maintain this. Does it fit in with their new mantra? Pie night seems to have been replaced with supper night, which at £40 a head is likely to be a special occasion event, rather than a regular. 

I just wonder if, come November, when the nights are dark and the weather not too great people will bother to make the journey along locks lane for an offering which is no longer unique, but cometes with many similar such offerings whic are more easily accessible. Add to that the fact that there is another very good hostelry in the  village. Can the Locks survive on summer trade?

I notice that the main  menu has dissappeared from the web, should we read anything into that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Over the next day or two my wife and I do plan to visit, and make up our own minds.

However, what is clear is that the Locks is no longer the unique, quintessential Broads pub that it once was. Granted that after Green Jack was forced out the pub did start to go downhill. Yes, there was a clique that used to hog the bar but they always gave way if pushed but that aside we went there, took overseas guests and friends there because the Locks was the pub that it was. I would like to think that we shall feel that we can continue to do so. Perhaps it was something of a time warp but we liked it that way. As for squeezing oranges at the bar when there is a queue gasping for a pint, how pretentious can you get? Grain beers are nothing special, unlike Green Jack. Good beer, good pub food, adequate toilets even if a tad aromatic, a few cobwebs and sympathetic management, it's not rocket science. We shall see!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm all for different options but they will have to offer more main stream options alongside to attract average diners. 

Of course, what I think doesn't really matter   

Absolute crap, your opinion is as valid as anybody else`s no matter how few time you go there. You may only ever go twice a year, but think how many hundreds of thousands of people who visit the Broads, be it by boat or by car, imagine just 1% of those that may visit that establishment, if they go away disappointed and don`t return, that`s a lot of income lost. 

The Locks is an iconic pub (or at least it was), so to have it dragged into the 21st century with all the clinical crap sounds like it`s been ruined. Instead of attracting MORE custom, it sounds like it`s going to lose it. With this in mind, i wonder whether in the not too distant future, such a possible loss of trade will result in the loss of the pub full stop, resulting in it being turned into yet another expensive private dwelling, which will also likely the moorings lost.

• Like 2