Compliments Of The Season.

Vaughan

Just a thought for the day, from the sunny south of France, where my pension will continue to be paid, my income tax is below the threshold, the food is great, the wine is from the Minervois at €3 a litre and the bins get emptied twice a week.

A very happy BREXMAS to you all!

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Just a thought for the day, from the sunny south of France, where my pension will continue to be paid, my income tax is below the threshold, the food is great, the wine is from the Minervois at €3 a litre and the bins get emptied twice a week.

And a similar throught from a frosty Northern Germany, where my UK pension will continue to be paid, my UK income tax is below the threshold, the food is pretty good, the wine is good but costs much more than  €3 a litre and the bins get emptied every two weeks.

But to expand:
My UK state pension will be frozen in 3 year's time according to recent letter from UK pension folks; luckily I also have a German state pension (having worked here 31 years - in UK for 11).  Unfortunately I have to pay tax in Germany & despite there being a double-taxation agreement between the UK & DE (which is totally independent of EU membership) the Germans have a back door to also tax my UK pension in part.  Still...

The Germans (who like to organise things like Citroen build cars = why do things simple when complicated works almost as well) collect the "Bio waste" every two weeks & the "remaining waste" in the weeks in between...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Did you have to Vaughan?     Just when I thought I could not get any more depressed with this country,  you post about lovely France.      To boot we now have to have an election which quite frankly I dont think anyone of any persuasion wants , needs or requires.     What is the point of voting for any of them as they only do what they want to do which is most of the time have a darn good life.     :default_crying1animated::default_pcwhack:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Isn't it easy to go off some people?  An election, Brexit and Christmas (oops, I've used theC word).  What will the media report on first? 😖

Roll on 2020.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I reckon if only Screaming Lord Sutch were still with us, this would be his greatest opportunity for a landslide victory!

As a replacement you have screaming Lord BoJo.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

France & Germany may have their advantages but neither have this!

Yare Navigation.jpg

Whilst that is true there are areas in Germany where a significant amount of sailing takes place.  There is a very large lake (The Alster) in the middle of Hamburg where people sail in the Summer months - a tricky task with the winds being funneled by the adjacent tall buildings (I have never been tempted to sail on the water here; only through the air).  Not the same atmosphere as Broadland though.

Also the river Elbe is full of sailing boats in the Summer months.

Southern Germany (Bavaria) has lots of lakes - but my very limited experience from long ago is that its either flat calm or brewing up for a storm.

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Isn't it easy to go off some people?  An election, Brexit and Christmas (oops, I've used theC word).  What will the media report on first? 😖

Roll on 2020.

If brexit occurs it won't be 2020, it will be 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024,2025 as they discuss the trade deal afterwards.

If brexit doesn't occur it won't be 2020, it will be 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024,2025 as they discuss having another vote because the brexiteers were robbed..

• Haha 1

We must break the shackles! And go forth to rightfully re-claim our heritage:--------- As

"The sick man of Europe"  like we were in the 70s, producing the best of British. Who else could give the world the Marina and Allegro.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

But a sunny France doesn’t have real ale , is more than 90mins (for me) to The Broads , steak and kidney pudding , and it’s full of French people , and of course can’t play rugby 🏉 

Joking aside , I love the U.K. warts and all and could not imagine living abroad .

It does however have Biere de Garde, cracking stuff . There are also a growing number of Micro breweries across the country offering brews as good as our real ales , and many arguably better !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Poppy said:

There are also a growing number of Micro breweries across the country offering brews as good as our real ales , and many arguably better !

Traditionally that is what a brasserie means - a bar restaurant that brews its own beer. Mainly in the north west, especially in Alsace/Lorraine.