Full Share For Sale On Thunder

I just want it gone basically. 

I absolutely love the boat and have done since I hired one back in 1997 but my girlfriend hates the broads and my son is too young to take on his own so I'm paying for a luxury I can do without. I'm hoping once my son's a bit older to buy back into one when I'll have no issues using it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trambo said:

Hope you sell soon. Oldgregg's video a brilliant advert for her......although I did nearly go dizzy at one point! Should be backed with a certain Kylie track.

Fred

Or the Sugarbabes record "Round Round"?. 

Chill Factor also did an apt one, "Round and around". 

Whichever one, my head is still spinning 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

You can`t beat pushing a very hard tide going up river crossing Breydon.

Well, actually, yes you can, go AFTER lws.

It wasn't that hard a tide... We found that the tides were about right to get to Oulton Broad on the Saturday evening (and have time to get the drone out on Breydon) if we went a bit before low water, so that's what we did.

The boat was (briefly) flat out for the purposes of the video as it looks more dramatic....

• Like 4

For both Thunder and Moonlight Shadow, there seems to be a big price gap between the lowest and highest price shares, e. g. Thunder shares ranging from £4750 to £6500. This seems strange given I would assume the majority of shares are identical to each other. One exception might be the 'special share' on Thunder - what's that? 

14 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

For both Thunder and Moonlight Shadow, there seems to be a big price gap between the lowest and highest price shares, e. g. Thunder shares ranging from £4750 to £6500. This seems strange given I would assume the majority of shares are identical to each other. One exception might be the 'special share' on Thunder - what's that? 

There isn't anything untoward in these price ranges, purely sometimes some people want or need to try and sell as enticingly as possible due to circumstances such as illness, loss of family, sudden changes in circumstances etc

When those shares have sold then the share prices return back to where they realistically are as existing owners know the value their share in the boat (whichever boat it may be) actually is.

As above but don’t forget that whilst up for sale owners are still responsible for the costs every month and at this time of year a few hundred quid for the winter maintenance.

Special Shares - I think Thunder is unique of the BCBM managed boats in having this. Essentially there are two*4 week shares and one 2 weeks share which have priority in the allocation chart. Essentially they are school holiday shares.

We have just given the go ahead for a front bathroom refurb on Thunder which should be completed over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a similar if less formal arrangement on Silver Cloud whereby when an owner needs the school holiday breaks they go in the hat first for those weeks.. It certainly meets the approval of other owners who usually  prefer to avoid the school weeks, so everyone happy.

Fred

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have considered the "Syndicate route" and can see many advantages, however, I can't see how I can achieve that wonderful "patina look" that makes some broads boats so attractive.

One option John would be one of those camouflage nets the soldiers put over gun emplacements and tanks etc 😂

One of the big problems with selling shares cheaper than their true value is tha accidental encouragement of attracting those that see syndicate ownership as a cheap form of hiring, so are not inclined to look after the boat. If a share is sold at its full value, say £6,500 ish for Thunder and Lightning, and around £4,500 for the Shadows and Silver Cloud, any new buyers would consider the boat as "an investment" rather than an up front cheap hire fee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Now there's a point! How does a syndicate protect itself from … shall we just call him "The shareholder from hell" ? 

That a good point John, no doubt if you contacted most syndicates they will tell you stories of the "shareholder from hell".

The way around this is to have a good contract and a means of management to remove the shareholder from the syndicate if they are in breach of their contract.

As Speedtriple (Neil) says that the price of the share mostly puts off troublesome owners, but sadly it does happen and action needs to be taken for the benefit of the syndicate as a whole.

Regards

Alan

Chairman & Trustee

Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

One of the big problems with selling shares cheaper than their true value is tha accidental encouragement of attracting those that see syndicate ownership as a cheap form of hiring, so are not inclined to look after the boat. If a share is sold at its full value, say £6,500 ish for Thunder and Lightning, and around £4,500 for the Shadows and Silver Cloud, any new buyers would consider the boat as "an investment" rather than an up front cheap hire fee. 

When we bought into the Moonlight Shadow syndicate last year, we did so as a long term proposition and at the time, had no inkling that we would be able to buy a boat of our own.  Our share was bought from BCBM and was for sale due to the illness of the shareholder at a reduced price.  The prospect of making a profit on the share, or having it as a cheap form of hiring were not considerations, but the satisfaction of ownership (even for a small part of her) was the most important aspect.

We have put the full share up for sale at an attractive price to try to sell on quickly, as we no longer need it and can divert the money saved into maintaining our own boat.  We will make a loss against the price we paid, but that is not really an issue. 

We still will have an interest in Moonlight Shadow as we plan to retain the 4% share we also own, which will enable us to have a holiday with our son and his family every year (as long as they want to accompany us) and still enjoy the knowledge that we will be on board as owners, not hirers of a well equipped,  comfortable boat.

• Like 6