As Seen On Youtube, Broads & Non Broads.

Paul

2 hours ago, webntweb said:

My little French deserted me so I could only give him a blast of Anglo Saxon invective.

He probably understood you in that case. Almost all of the hotel barges (but not Anjodi) have exclusively American customers and do their marketing only in America.  They also have American crews.  Some of them are not so bad but others are a menace.  A lot of them went out of business during the Covid pandemic.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've surprised myself with my latest couple of subscriptions. I'm much more into modest traditional boating rather than extravagent excess, but I guess coming from a boating family, the nautical side was enough to draw me in. The fact they focus content on the boat and crew, completely avoiding the people doing the chartering probably also helps.

There's loads more content on their channel - https://www.youtube.com/@motoryachtloon

One of the other interesting things is that a couple of the crew also put content out independently of the yacht, including the head chef.

Some of the end of charter sections are pretty staggering. They usually get a tip which is shared out equally and tends to work out at something like $4k or so per crew member.

Thanks Sam. What a lovely video, though the imprint of the archive company’s name across the screen was rather annoying. I did find it amusing that early on in the film they commented on how dry Norfolk is (given this winter’s deluge) and a little further along on Potter Heigham bridge being over a 100 years old (slight underestimate there, lol). 

On 06/11/2023 at 06:03, Vaughan said:

they cut down all the plane trees, a few years ago.

We were last on the Canal du Midi in the 1990's. It was a very dry year and the western bits up to Carcassone and beyond were not accessible, so we turned right towards Bezier and the Rhone.  I have a very strong memory of those trees and the speckled shade they provided. luckily, I took many photos!  It seems that the plane trees were infected by an untreatable fungus, and all 42000 trees will be replaced - amazing.

• Like 1

100_1351.thumb.jpg.492451db7af6232c56e11544d2320d06.jpg

100_1353.thumb.jpg.e51b3091c8fff405c9b8e0c91b342ac9.jpg

They won't see the canal look like this again for another 50 years, even though they have re-planted a lot of areas - with more or less success.

There is still a lot of dispute about the cause of this fungus and whether it could have been treated.  It is strange that trees along roads which run alongside the canal only 50 yards away are still there un-affected.  And yet they insist the disease was not transmitted by the water!

Very bad for business I am afraid. Tourism on the canal has slumped in the last few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this one from the 50s which I'd not seen before. Surprisingly good quality for its age.

Long before my time, but gives me a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach watching bits of it with unspoilt sections of the Broads which I remember from my youth. At 19:00, you can see the bit just above Wroxham bridge which I always go on about which was green and picturesque before they allowed houses to be built there in the 90s. Just a shame they didn't capture more of the boatyards, or those along Lower Street in Horning.

And check out the height of the outer arches at Potter around 8:20!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dom said:

Just discovered this one from the 50s which I'd not seen before. Surprisingly good quality for its age.

Long before my time, but gives me a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach watching bits of it with unspoilt sections of the Broads which I remember from my youth. At 19:00, you can see the bit just above Wroxham bridge which I always go on about which was green and picturesque before they allowed houses to be built there in the 90s. Just a shame they didn't capture more of the boatyards, or those along Lower Street in Horning.

And check out the height of the outer arches at Potter around 8:20!

That one is one of the best with Water Rail featuring as B77 in the still!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LizG said:

That one is one of the best with Water Rail featuring as B77 in the still!

I'd failed to spot that, which is a bit embarrassing, seeing as I only took this last week!

IMG_0609.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Lulu said:

We had a lovely sunny cruise up the Ant.  So relaxing not having to worry about bridge heights.  We went under the bridge and saw a camera so assumed we would be on YouTube again, which we were. Relieved I didnt mess up.

I'm subscribed to no end of boating channels and it's nice to see the Broads featuring, but the whole Ludham Bridge situation is starting to grate a bit with me. It's getting to the point where you inevitably have one of the three main protagonists recording every weekend. I think it's starting to get a bit intrusive and it's obviously largely waiting for something untoward to happen. I can't help but wonder what the net effect of it all is. If a new hirer comes down from Stalham the first time, bumps the bridge and their error ends up attracting derision on YouTube, are they more or less likely to come back next year? Between that, and the added emphasis it puts on bridge clearance issues, it all seems a bit undesirable for the hire industry in my eyes. It's not really surprising to me that at least one of them has attracted some hostility from certain areas.

19 minutes ago, gancanny said:

i had a safari for a fair number of years and i made a dipstick out of timber with marks every 3 inches, it does give you a good idea of the amount of fuel in the tank,  keep the dipstick in the gas locker

In the past, when I worked on turnaround and did refuelling, we did the same with calibrated dipsticks, taking a measure and just adding what the dipstick said was needed. We'd also keep a tally of the amounts used and totalled that up to work out when we needed another fuel delivery. It had run that way for decades, so it obviously all worked fairly well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dom said:

I'm subscribed to no end of boating channels and it's nice to see the Broads featuring, but the whole Ludham Bridge situation is starting to grate a bit with me. It's getting to the point where you inevitably have one of the three main protagonists recording every weekend. I think it's starting to get a bit intrusive and it's obviously largely waiting for something untoward to happen. I can't help but wonder what the net effect of it all is. If a new hirer comes down from Stalham the first time, bumps the bridge and their error ends up attracting derision on YouTube, are they more or less likely to come back next year? Between that, and the added emphasis it puts on bridge clearance issues, it all seems a bit undesirable for the hire industry in my eyes. It's not really surprising to me that at least one of them has attracted some hostility from certain areas.

I have to say that I too am unhappy about the picture of The Broads is painted by the video vultures.  I will not subscribe to them and am disappointed that the use of clickbait titles helps them to make money from predictable chaos at the worst pinch point on the network.

• Like 4

this is why we have the no name and shame in our terms of service, if any such video is posted here, we will take it down from the forum- ok that only stops it here, but in general I agree that it doesnt show the broads in its best light, also i dont like the videos where the footage is speeded up making it look like all the boats are speeding, the broads is supposed to be a tranquil place.

the problem is these videos are popular and gain the videographers subscribers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m getting a fed up of the videos concentrating on mishaps too. Fortunately, there are others out there. I’ve noticed the ‘New Name’ lady seems to have moved on to producing a range of interesting videos about the Brads area generally, which are a welcome relief.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve noticed the ‘New Name’ lady seems to have moved on to producing a range of interesting videos about the Brads area generally, which are a welcome relief.

Not quite.  Her latest offering has a title that includes the words ‘boat hits barge.’  To me, that constitutes clickbait and is done for a singular reason.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Not quite.  Her latest offering has a title that includes the words ‘boat hits barge.’  To me, that constitutes clickbait and is done for a singular reason.

It's not just that, it's "drama as boat hits barge" putting emphasis on the clickbaity element. The boat in question did foul a fender, pulling a fender eye out of the deck - but back when I worked in yards, this was fairly a mundane event, the type of which happened most weeks. I suspect it's just the same, if not more common these days. No doubt the Brinks hirer was embarassed enough as it was without having their error shamed on Youtube.

• Like 8

Sadly , without this type of footage these channels would not have got the viewing figures they have and may well have been abandoned .

Whilst I too dislike the bumps/mishaps etc, the rest of the footage I find most enjoyable and would be saddened to see them go 

• Like 2

Dave Whitworth's videos manage to provide plenty of enjoyable footage without the less desirable mishaps though, as do several others.

There are actually quite a lot of aspects of Broadland life and boating which would make good subject matter which are being overlooked at the moment. I'm not going to say more, as I have a strong suspicion at least one of the channel creators reads the group and I might be tempted to upload some stuff myself if I ever manage to move back to the area.

They'll all realise they're facing the law of diminishing returns soon anyway. The more videos go up, the more views get spread out and the less the ad revenue. Google is far smarter than they are and promotes unique content above all else.

21 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Sadly , without this type of footage these channels would not have got the viewing figures they have and may well have been abandoned .

Whilst I too dislike the bumps/mishaps etc, the rest of the footage I find most enjoyable and would be saddened to see them go 

Are there not ways of showing videos of The Broads, without the clickbait titles?  Robin’s video were always popular, as are the likes of Dave Whitworth, who vlogs his travels on his two syndicate boats.

The problem, to me, is the location that these videos are generally shot and the almost inevitable bridge strike that attracts all sorts of idiotic comments from armchair admirals, who all know better.  It’s strange that we seem to have a predilection towards watching accidents, whether they’re on the rivers or on our roads.  Who hasn’t sat in a queue on a motorway, caused by rubberneckers eyeballing an accident on the opposing carriageway, with little thought for those who may have been injured (or worse).

In my view, they portray the worst of behaviour and create an image that these antics are prevalent across the network.  Those of us familiar with the location obviously know better and can filter out the stupidity, but for folk who maybe would like to sample a holiday afloat, what sort of impression is being generated?

For the people who film there regularly, clickbait titles benefit their metrics with YouTube and enhance potential income from their channel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

For the people who film there regularly, clickbait titles benefit their metrics with YouTube and enhance potential income from their channel.

I did have a look into this but they have a tiny amount of subscribers and views, it's doubtful whether YouTube would allow them to monetise the accounts and they would be lucky to buy a Mars Bar with the yearly profit.  You need hundreds of thousands of subscribers and a boatload of views to earn even a modest amount.

12 minutes ago, NeilB said:

I did have a look into this but they have a tiny amount of subscribers and views, it's doubtful whether YouTube would allow them to monetise the accounts and they would be lucky to buy a Mars Bar with the yearly profit.  You need hundreds of thousands of subscribers and a boatload of views to earn even a modest amount.

Our neighbour’s son has a YouTube channel and is doing very well from it.  At the age of 19, he has a Porsche Cayman, a BMW 325 and a heavily modified  Volkswagen Golf.  He bought his dad a Rolex Oyster Submariner as a gift.  He doesn’t work, simply makes content for his channel.  I wouldn’t like to say that what he makes is a modest amount.

He clearly has far more subscribers and achieves many more views than the people we are talking about here, but you only need 1000 subscribers to monetise content.  However small their income is, there is the potential to make some money from the antics at Ludham Bridge.

My main issue is the fact that many people will be give the impression that navigating The Broads is like playing dodgems on the water.  I realise that on a weekend particularly at that location, it frequently is, but doesn’t represent the area well overall.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NeilB said:

If you stick their username in at Socialblade.com you can see vague indicative earnings. It's more than you're suggesting, but still not enough to earn a living from. You can monetize at 1k subscribers with Google these days, but to make sensible money, you need to treat it like a real job and recruit members (as one Ludham-er now does) either on Youtube or Patreon, or to shill goods and services for affiliate commission - where most "influencers" (eugh) make their livings.

7 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

At the age of 19, he has a Porsche Cayman, a BMW 325 and a heavily modified  Volkswagen Golf.  He bought his dad a Rolex Oyster Submariner as a gift.  He doesn’t work, simply makes content for his channel.  I wouldn’t like to say that what he makes is a modest amount.

Do you know his channel name? It'd be interesting to see if the metrics match up with the earnings, or whether they might be coming from other activities.....

• Like 1