As Seen On Youtube, Broads & Non Broads.

Paul

2 minutes ago, dom said:

Do you know his channel name? It'd be interesting to see if the metrics match up with the earnings, or whether they might be coming from other activities.....

Best done by PM please 😁

• Like 1

Tables have turned because us that mess up should be the stars. It would make Old Parge a Diva and not a driver. Used to be a  good living being a star. Now the exploiters are making well so no thumbs up for them just a couple of fingers from here.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

I still like a lot of the ‘New Name’ lady’s content. It’s not all just filming boats at Ludham Bridge any longer. She has branched out into other topics that people interested in the Broads generally will appreciate. For instance she did a bit about the origins of village names on a recent video. 

How Youtube has changed! I remember it's appeal was that anyone could post videos on there and most of them were terrible home movies, now anything goes!

The greatest satisfaction from making Youtube content is gained when a complete stranger from the other side of the World says well done.

I wouldn't want to be monetised for my content as it then becomes a job and you have a duty of customer care, which then invites open criticism.

It can't be that difficult though; I have 604 subscribers and without even trying. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, floydraser said:

It can't be that difficult though; I have 604 subscribers and without even trying. 

You're doing one of the best things on Youtube though - providing little niche "how to" info which appeals to a small market, but tends to be extremely valuable to the end viewer.

I'm curious what the sailing vessel in your channel header is though?

9 minutes ago, floydraser said:

wouldn't want to be monetised for my content as it then becomes a job and you have a duty of customer care, which then invites open criticism.

I have seen a lot of your videos and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I am not a technocrat but I fear that what started out as an innocent method of sharing common interests and tips on a bit of DIY, has grown "like Topsy" into a commercial cyberspace enterprise.

I see in the national press today that national parks are being invaded by "Tiktokers" who have spread the news about the delights of doing selfies in an ancient system of caves and have clogged up all the roads in the area of the national park to the extent that a lot have had to be towed away, leaving all their litter, graffiti and assorted defecations behind them.

Perhaps this is what is coming to the Broads, if the Good Doctor's aspirations are allowed to take over?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dom said:

You're doing one of the best things on Youtube though - providing little niche "how to" info which appeals to a small market, but tends to be extremely valuable to the end viewer.

I'm curious what the sailing vessel in your channel header is though?

I think it's only fair to answer in the thread about Youtube. :default_jumelles:

From Dom: I'm curious what the sailing vessel in your channel header is though?

I was in the Onedin Line as Cap'n Baines. :default_icon_liar:

I took that pic years ago on a visit the Gloucester Docks. I'll have to see if I can find the name if it isn't shown.

12 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I think it's only fair to answer in the thread about Youtube. :default_jumelles:

I think that Sam’s thread has drifted far too far and tend to agree!

Sorry @Lulu!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

I took that pic years ago on a visit the Gloucester Docks. I'll have to see if I can find the name if it isn't shown.

I was just curious, as the blocks on the outside of the spar suggest it's something fairly large. In my youth, I was supposed to crew on the Tall Ships Race, but the route and conditions on the year in question meant plans changed and we just did a trip up the east coast instead. I always think of myself as a motor-boater, but the appeal of sail does keep drawing me in - particularly with historic stuff.

1 hour ago, dom said:

I was just curious, as the blocks on the outside of the spar suggest it's something fairly large. In my youth, I was supposed to crew on the Tall Ships Race, but the route and conditions on the year in question meant plans changed and we just did a trip up the east coast instead. I always think of myself as a motor-boater, but the appeal of sail does keep drawing me in - particularly with historic stuff.

Found 'em, from October 2003:

Glosdocksagain3.thumb.jpg.874e901a56b310ea082ccfb253d3a98e.jpg

Glosdocksagain2.thumb.jpg.a871e7d9946cfd15559295ee6cecca48.jpg

Glosdocksagain1.thumb.jpg.be4229e1cd2c17e401d9fd2b177bb2d9.jpg

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Glosdocksagain1.thumb.jpg.be4229e1cd2c17e401d9fd2b177bb2d9.jpg

That's just brought a smile to my face. I spent a week on Queen Galadriel in the 1980s and have been tracking her on AIS recently to try and catch her in person again. I have a picture from the EDP of a very young me, plus a few others who @Turnoar might recognise stood on her bow outside the Nelson Hotel in Norwich. Unfortunately, the pic is in a storage unit up in Norwich at the moment, but I'll have to post it when I can lay my hands on it.

I'm guessing the original pic I asked about is Julia of Gibraltar. She's built the year after Galadriel and also in Denmark. Almost looks like she was designed by the same person.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dom said:

That's just brought a smile to my face. I spent a week on Queen Galadriel in the 1980s and have been tracking her on AIS recently to try and catch her in person again. I have a picture from the EDP of a very young me, plus a few others who @Turnoar might recognise stood on her bow outside the Nelson Hotel in Norwich. Unfortunately, the pic is in a storage unit up in Norwich at the moment, but I'll have to post it when I can lay my hands on it.

I'm guessing the original pic I asked about is Julia of Gibraltar. She's built the year after Galadriel and also in Denmark. Almost looks like she was designed by the same person.

A couple more from a year earlier. They had started to clear up the docks but were yet to develop them into the shopping mall they are today.

Glosdocks8.thumb.jpg.ebad68eb93afaf5f65a4c3d8216b9722.jpg

Glosdocks7.thumb.jpg.a75ff261288232a879dcac7c1b90a450.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, floydraser said:

A couple more from a year earlier.

Maxine of Marlow is rather lovely. For a second, I thought she might be a Graham Bunn Windboat, as she's very reminiscent of Formby's Lady Beryl II. Apparently she's steel and built by G.J.Meakes though. Wonder if she was designed by Rip Martins?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/04/2024 at 18:38, dom said:

Maxine of Marlow is rather lovely. For a second, I thought she might be a Graham Bunn Windboat, as she's very reminiscent of Formby's Lady Beryl II. Apparently she's steel and built by G.J.Meakes though. Wonder if she was designed by Rip Martins?

Been racking my brains to think what this boat reminds me of and though I’ve never seen it in the flesh I recall an article in Norfolk afloat many moons ago about “Billow”.  Was she around Wroxham back in your time there? https://images.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/uploads/pdf/BILLOW - Sandeman.pdf

10 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Been racking my brains to think what this boat reminds me of and though I’ve never seen it in the flesh I recall an article in Norfolk afloat many moons ago about “Billow”.  Was she around Wroxham back in your time there? https://images.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/uploads/pdf/BILLOW - Sandeman.pdf

Billow looks very much like "Jenetty", owned by Bobby Stephenson of Stephensons Steel Works in Norwich and moored all season on a buoy on Wroxham Broad, outside his own private boathouse.  He had his own full time boatman, complete with reefer jacket and white cap, who looked after her.  Bobby didn't do any sailing, but loved being on Wroxham Broad at weekends and watching the racing, with occasional trips to Oulton Regatta.

I believe she was winterised somewhere on Lake Lothing in winter, and the boathouse is now owned by Mike Barnes. She looked very much like Billow, except the hull was painted an aquamarine (chartreuse?) colour.

Maybe @Tobster remembers her?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Billow looks very much like "Jenetty", owned by Bobby Stephenson of Stephensons Steel Works in Norwich and moored all season on a buoy on Wroxham Broad, outside his own private boathouse.  He had his own full time boatman, complete with reefer jacket and white cap, who looked after her.  Bobby didn't do any sailing, but loved being on Wroxham Broad at weekends and watching the racing, with occasional trips to Oulton Regatta.

I believe she was winterised somewhere on Lake Lothing in winter, and the boathouse is now owned by Mike Barnes. She looked very much like Billow, except the hull was painted an aquamarine (chartreuse?) colour.

Maybe @Tobster remembers her?

Sadly Vaughan, I don’t remember her.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

For the last month or so, I've been trying to remember the name of a large, classic motor cruiser which used to moor in a dyke near to Heronby in Wroxham. It wasn't Formby's Lady Beryl II (the Windboats one), but something which looked like a more serious seagoing boat. She had her name in large letters on dodgers at the aft end. I suspect she was another Windboat, but could have been a pre-GRP era Broom similar to The Albert of Blofield. The name Jenetty rings a slight bell. I wouldn't be surprised if that was her. We used to be up and down that bit of river all year round, so it may well be that my memory is of the off-season - or possibly a later owner?

The name Billow doesn't sound familiar. There were however a lot of fairly large boats tucked away down various dykes in Wroxham back then. In the late 70s, we used to walk down Beech Road and there was a basin full of large and expensive boats, now probably under the modern Burewood property (which I notice the local conservation plan ironically refers to as "unsympathetic and out of scale in the the context of the original developments").

• Like 2

On 27/04/2024 at 19:50, Lulu said:

Anyone who has been following this channel for the last 7 years Im sure will be quite emotional watching this.  So many people involved over the years. I’m really looking forward to the next stage.

I first discovered Tally Ho! when the keel was being poured, and the quite exciting process that involved. I've not followed too closely but she's a gorgeous boat and I love that everyone at the port is giving Leo such recognition for his hard work over the years. I'm not crying it's just... vividly imagining the spray coming over the bow and drenching whoever is at the tiller...

• Like 1