Press Release From BA

Bytheriver

Peter. I have taken on board your comment that the Broads will be around long after the virus has been tamed. And I agree. But will it be the same as we both remember?

I am of an age. Nearly eighty. I can remember, like yourself, an age gone by. I wish for those days on the Waveny, on the Yare, on the Wensum. But they have gone. We have to look back and reflect on those wonderful days. We most allow the new generation to decide their own destiny. Is it so wrong?

Time will tell. I hope that they will take heed of our concern, however that will only be achieved when we are able to obtain confidence with regard to their ambitions for the future and that we are united and confident in in our endeavours. 

Without constant criticism and disdain of those who seek solution.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Spider said:

I don't often post these days but read the forum regularly. However, I'm afraid that I'm now done with it. The crass insensitivity of some people is beyond my tolerance level.

OK 

GO.

But you are one of those people that this forum needs. A person of sincerity. Stay. Please. You don't have to post every day, every week. Just provide us with a bit of sensitivity that we need.

Andrew

• Like 5

I'm going to be just a bit more blunt about this. Can we cease all debate discussion and crusading on the national park issue whilst this crisis is ongoing. To harrang the BA about the NP status in response to work they are doing and arrangements they are trying to put into place is beyond my own tolerance! Also to see valued members with opinions and stories to share being driven out by this is unforgiveable! Please take heed!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, VetChugger said:

I'm going to be just a bit more blunt about this. Can we cease all debate discussion and crusading on the national park issue whilst this crisis is ongoing. To harrang the BA about the NP status in response to work they are doing and arrangements they are trying to put into place is beyond my own tolerance! Also to see valued members with opinions and stories to share being driven out by this is unforgiveable! Please take heed!!!

I just hope the Broads Authority take note of this comment. 

• Like 4

Is that not just a tad personal? No one has to read any of the posts or indeed the posts from any individual user. You might be better off putting people who make you sick on your ignore list, or just not reading those threads altogether.

As much as the corona virus is very serious and needs discussion, its also nice to see some normal life going on somewhere, even if that is another debate about the Broads Authority, as long as its carried out within the T.O.S. I turn the TV on and all I hear on the news is about Corona virus. I speak to my friends on the phone and all you hear about is corona virus. Personally I'd rather there was either no mention of it on this forum as a means of escape from it, or all discussion about it was limited to one thread or forum sub section, but that is just my wish and I accept that this is a forum for people with an interest in The Norfolk Broads to discuss what ever interests them, so it is what it is and I can choose to either read those threads or largely ignore them, which is what I have done for the last few days.

Incidentally I thought toys out of the pram and posts saying people won't be posting again were against the T.O.S. Two wrongs don't make a right and personally I hope that no one leaves the forum as with more time stuck at home the forum helps to keep people connected. I just wish that people would learn to accept that others have their own opinion, they have their own crusades and it is better to just not read those sections, or threads that don't interest you or annoy you, than retaliate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Spider said:

I don't often post these days but read the forum regularly. However, I'm afraid that I'm now done with it. The crass insensitivity of some people is beyond my tolerance level.

I am sorry you feel that way but if you are referring to me you couldn't be more wrong, I live in London the epicentre of the current crisis and am of an age etc that puts me in the at risk category, I also have family and friends who are the same, my only trips outside the house are for a weekly shop and a scheduled weekly hospital visit so I am very aware of the seriousness of these times, while I may be restricted in my physical movements I refuse to let my brain stagnate or engage in navel-gazing, life goes on regardless of whatever it throws at us.

Fred

• Like 3

This is, first and foremost, a Norfolk Broads Forum. Look at the top of the page, the clue is in the name. 

It is wonderful that the many members here can discuss Corona Virus, it's impact on themselves and offer support to each other. That is what communities do, and this online community has been doing that extremely well in my opinion. But this is not a Corona Virus forum, I'm sure there must be some out there by now, so if all you want to read about and comment upon is Corona Virus then go and find one. Perhaps you might want to return here after this is over, perhaps not.

I find all the "I'm off" the posts very tedious. I you don't want to be here, then that's your decision but don't insist that everyone else on the forum should conform to your opinion of what should and should not be posted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

this thread IS about the BAs press release regarding their actions during the crisis, but as always as soon as the BA is mentioned the thread is taken over by rants about their shortcomings thus diluting the purpose of the thread, by all means dicuss whatever but speakers corner is the place to do it on a thread about the subject.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chameleon said:

this thread IS about the BAs press release regarding their actions during the crisis, but as always as soon as the BA is mentioned the thread is taken over by rants about their shortcomings thus diluting the purpose of the thread, by all means dicuss whatever but speakers corner is the place to do it on a thread about the subject.

Sorry but the initial reply's related directly to a misrepresentation within that press release and in all walks of life we should be able to report inaccuracies within public press releases nothing to do with BA bashing, the only fault there was within the BAs PR department, the thread was taken away from the press release by many of the posts that followed.

Fred

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

I find all the "I'm off" the posts very tedious. I you don't want to be here, then that's your decision but don't insist that everyone else on the forum should conform to your opinion of what should and should not be posted.

I couldn't agree more! I used to post in "the other place" but do so no longer. Did I make an "abdication speech? No. Why not? Because if something is said there which I get to hear of and feel strongly enough, I still can post without egg on my face.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bytheriver said:

Our rangers are still out there, keeping those that are on the water safe

This in reference to folk who's homes are boats. The Authority has had some bad press lately, justified I might add, and I can appreciate their efforts in trying to paint themselves as being the Good Guys. The Authority has, at best, regularly shown complete indifference to residential boaters. Now, all of a sudden, having ignored them all winter, they are keen to keep them safe! 

Let's be charitable, perhaps a corner has been turned! On the other hand, an opportunist bit of spin, but I can't blame them for that! We are in this together, and in the nicest possible way may that continue long after the virus has been conquered. It's a long time since we have been 'in it together' on the Broads, possibly since the days of Aitken Clarke and Charles Collier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Authority has had some bad press lately, justified I might add, and I can appreciate their efforts in trying to paint themselves as being the Good Guys. The Authority has, at best, regularly shown complete indifference to residential boaters. Now, all of a sudden, having ignored them all winter, they are keen to keep them safe! 

I don't know if I am on the appropriate thread to say this, as there are so many different ones now, but what Peter says should be noted and remembered. If not right now, at least when we are "over the hump".

The BA planning department has a despicable reputation with regard to living on boats and Jenners Basin was the classic example. One of the main reasons we have people living on overnight moorings at the moment, is down to the BA, for having driven them off private (paid) moorings where they were doing no-one any harm.

Right now, the BA are doing all they can to support the "liveaboards" (a nomenclature that I hate) and quite rightly so. And let's face it, they could not be seen to do otherwise at this time.

Once we are all "back on the water" again, this issue will again be questioned by the likes of Peter and myself but for the moment we will, of course, call a truce.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1