Favourite Unusual Locations

Broads01

I was once privileged to be given permission by the then owner to moor through the bridge at Dilham - just quirky getting through the hole! I think anywhere above Potter has to be high on the list because it is usually calm, no rushing tide so you keep having to check the moorings and the vistas are superb!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Not before he'd taught the French a lesson.  

Bit surprised that the French allowed you in, you being a true son of Norfolk!

I must admit that French "café" conversation should not include the Royal Navy. At not just because of Nelson!

• Like 4

Good thread this.

I'm definitely in the Surlingham camp.

Nothing better than anchoring out on Bargate with the mothership/floating bungalow , rigging the sails on the jolly boat for some afternoon pottering, and then put the kayak in for some evening paddling getting lost in the Surlingham backwaters. Round the day off with a juicy steak on the over-the side barbeque rig and sit on the top deck with a sundowner. Next morning round to Coldham Hall or the Ferry Inn for a long dog walk and lunch.

Roll on the day.

Meanwhile back to isolation. 😞

• Like 4

I was giving this some thought. Perhaps it could be my current isolation but I really miss the camaraderie and friendship of the denizens of the boat yards and boat sheds. Listening to their stories over a pot of tea, learning something new every day. Chatting with members of the 'Old Coots Club' and discovering the history of the Broads. I find that I'm missing the byways of the villages just as much as the rivers.  I miss sitting around my campfire at night with a beer and good company as the flames dance and crackle
DSC_0160.JPG
and I miss the kettle singing on the fire in the early morning and the coffee brewing.
DSC_0146.JPG

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

OCC membership requires that the member is 'as bald as a (old) coot thus is Vaughan suitably qualified? 

Actually I missed going to the hairdressers over a month ago before we were locked down and I think it is now longer than it has ever been in my life.

"Am I 'urting you, young man?"

"No, Sarn't Major"

"Well I bleedin well ought to be I'm STANDIN ON YER 'AIR!"

I am sure that  Timbo is suitably conversant with Latin but I once knew a wife who wasn't. In the days before sticky letters boatyards employed sign writers, one such being the now departed Ernie Warnes at Oulton Broad. Ernie was famously down trodden, under the thumb of the Petty-coat Government, both his wife and his mother-in-law. Don't remember now how we got onto the subject of coats of arms, motto's and Latin but we did and then the whole workforce became involved in designing a suitable coat of arms for Ernie. It ended up as a quartered shield, in one sector was an iron, as in ironing the sheets, next was a hoover and thirdly was a mop as in washing up and lastly a saucepan. Ernie dutifully produced a creditable work of art, complete with motto,  Non possum vincere. Like most men Ernie had grown used to uttering that well used 'man phrase', 'Yes Dear', until one day SWMBO accused him of being indecisive, indeed, Ernie could not win! 

Until she died Ernie's wife looked proudly at Ernie's handiwork, seeing the funny side of it perhaps, but innocent as to its meaning, unaware of Ernie's minor act of quiet rebellion! 

True story, honestly! The spirit of the boatyard.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 12:50, Jemaki said:

Upton Dyke is one of our favourites with the short stroll to the White Horse. Easy to manouvre in the basin when we had our 23ft Norman, not so sure now with the bigger boat(34ft).

Upton 2.jpg

Upton 1.jpg

Love it there too - our mooring is in the dyke.  We can turn out yacht quite easily  probably close to 34' with boom overhang and bowsprit though we've had a lot of practice over 14 years or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

Love it there too - our mooring is in the dyke.  We can turn out yacht quite easily 

I have to agree I was there last summer so convenient for the village with the pub and shop combined, it does seem so very Long time ago, I wonder if we'll see it this summer?

upton.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, eddybear said:

I have to agree I was there last summer so convenient for the village with the pub and shop combined, it does seem so very Long time ago, I wonder if we'll see it this summer?

upton.jpg

I shall .

• Like 1

We really like Commisioners Cut. 

Lovely walks for the dog. A great curry house just down the road and it was really nice and quiet by night.

Hope to get there again next summer now we are keeping the boat we may as well bring her to the Broads again for another summer holiday :)

• Like 1

Mudweighted in the middle of the outer South Walsham Broad shortly after a spectacular thunderstorm with wonderful double rainbow to follow.

I’m nostalgic for mudweighting...can’t do that with a collie on board (not without a dinghy anyway).

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Mudweighted in the middle of the outer South Walsham Broad shortly after a spectacular thunderstorm with wonderful double rainbow to follow.

I’m nostalgic for mudweighting...can’t do that with a collie on board (not without a dinghy anyway).

I get that Helen. I've always loved mudweighting but I've never done so for the night because I've been unduly anxious about being safe. I was about to pluck up the courage to do it I felt when our dog Rollie came in to our lives and that was that. 

• Like 1

Mudweighting, we used to love it too. I have often thought about walking the dogs late then nipping onto a broad for the night. As sure as eggs are eggs, one of them would undoubtedly decide they needed to go out during the night! It doesn’t happen very often but we couldn’t take the chance. At least we can still mudweight for a breakfast or lunch stop.

• Like 2