June 16th 2020

4 hours ago, RealWindmill said:

Electric cars, I trust.

I hasten to add I meant that in a no carbon and little damage to road surface context.

4 hours ago, Poppy said:

If cyclists want to play that game we should insist on full third party insurance. Come to think of it...

Fully agree. All road users should have to have liability cover for their modes of transport.

Have to have it for the kayak on the waterways  - and can't even use it.     Grrrh !

56 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The case for Anglers:

What they clearly state is that no angler is to fish within 15 metres of any other angler.  15 metres? Where did that figure come from?  I thought "social distancing" was supposed to be 2 metres?

The boating fraternity on the Broads will also be expecting lockdown restrictions to be relaxed in the near future for exactly the same reasons of public health and well-being that are being put forward by the anglers.  But boaters will not have the same amount of mooring available in future, with pubs and boatyards closed.

So to maintain this figure of 15 metres distance, there is no question that the BA should allow fishing from the bank to be done on their 24 hr public moorings.  Otherwise, the anglers will be preventing boat owners from mooring in places which have been financed by their river tolls, but not by the anglers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The boating fraternity on the Broads will also be expecting lockdown restrictions to be relaxed in the near future for exactly the same reasons of public health and well-being that are being put forward by the anglers.

But boaters have no organisation that is willing to put forward the case on their behalf.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

15 metres? Where did that figure come from?  I thought "social distancing" was supposed to be 2 metres?

15 metres is the 'best practise' between pegs or swims at a fishery. Obviously many fisheries have rammed in more pegs, the best to generate money and optimize profits. At our fishery all pegs are 15 metres apart with exception of the 'junior' and disability pegs which are closer together to allow ease of access for disabled members and parents supervising junior anglers.

8 minutes ago, Paladin said:

But boaters have no organisation that is willing to put forward the case on their behalf.

That would be the Royal Yacht Association. I check my members section regularly.

"The RYA is making representations to Government and the marinas sector trade body, The Yacht Harbour Association (TYHA) regarding the issues for boat owners arising out of the closure of marinas. This reflects the concerns of members who have contacted us about their inability to access their boats and protect their assets. We are acutely aware that worries about boat security, maintenance and the impact on insurance cover are all creating anxiety and stress for boat owners at this time.

We are also making the case that there are many people who could visit their boat while adhering strictly to Government guidelines on hygiene and social distancing. For many, the opportunity to spend time on their boat and possibly do some simple maintenance or cleaning would greatly enhance their well-being and provide peace of mind in respect of the issues of concern."  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Sadly I don't think the BA will not do anything or at least until the NP's take a lead and they, I suspect, will cling on to the"essential travel" peg as long as they can - but what about those who live within them? I suspect they haven't "closed" the footpaths either but are just "discouraging" people from using them!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, marshman said:

I suspect they haven't "closed" the footpaths either but are just "discouraging" people from using them!!

Maybe not but the footpath that runs down the side of my home has never been so busy as it has been over the last few weeks, haven't seen 9/10th of these born again walkers before!  Cyclists & joggers too.

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Maybe not but the footpath that runs down the side of my home has never been so busy as it has been over the last few weeks, haven't seen 9/10th of these born again walkers before!  Cyclists & joggers too.

Has a "Born again cyclist" been "recycled"?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, colino said:

A  good reason to Join the NSBA and get the green book free member

The Green Book is invaluable but the NSBA has shown itself as being seemingly 100% flaccid in regard to the lock-down. Granted they are not a political party but lobbying on behalf of their members wouldn't go amiss occasionally, and this is one of those occasions, surely? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Green Book is invaluable but the NSBA has shown itself as being seemingly 100% flaccid in regard to the lock-down. Granted they are not a political party but lobbying on behalf of their members wouldn't go amiss occasionally, and this is one of those occasions, surely? 

I agree totally better in than not  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Perhaps the NSBA think that boating is not in the spirit of "stay at home", and don't wish to be seen to be "making waves".

That depends on what "stay at home" means.  It would certainly be 100 miles or so, whereas 10 miles?

I find "stay at home" a pretty clear instruction. I find that if you look at the deeds of your home , there will be a very straight forwards description of what is your home and what is not.

If some people find it necessary to go fishing, kayaking or to partake of any other exercise not included in the fairly straight forwards list of what is permitted, then I hope they hold their heads high when the next round of infections takes hold. Maybe that fisherman didn't know he was infected when he handed his maggot box to the tackle shop owner. Perhaps that Kayaker  had no idea that the lost fender he so kindly rescued was contaminated.

My imagination has no bounds when it comes to thinking up ways the virus could spread. 

No!! Never mind all that, all you who wish to go out and spread it about do so, we know you care little for us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

who sets the limit though - 5 minutes walk, 20 minutes walk, 5 miles 10 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles . I think that when restrictions start to be lifted, the limits should be set fairly low, then slowly lifted to de restrict movement, unless the govenment set strict distances travel is allowed then you are going to get people who will stretch the boundaries past breaking point, this is one area i dont think should be left open to interpretation.

• Like 1