Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

sadly, need to be treated in a different class and until travel restrictions are relaxed a bit more, so do private owners living over say 100 miles away at least in the very short time ( sorry chaps!) but penalising the local private owner is wrong wrong wrong whichever way you look at it!!!!!!

There is no distance rule in England we can as from Wednesday travel any distance and no ruling on returning times

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

well I have found this- is this the new guidance they have been telling us about?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

If so, there is not one word about boats or boating.

its not a 50 page publication though, unless it is in very large print.

Thats where I got my post info from as you say nothing about boating but surely thats then left to interpretation and access. If I wanted to travel down and go out my boat I don't see that I would be breaking any laws?

I think this is the telling paragraph

4. Visiting public places

You can exercise outside as often as you wish and from Wednesday 13 May, you can also sit and rest outside – exercise or recreation can be alone, with members of your household, or with one other person from outside your household, while keeping two metres apart at all times.

From Wednesday 13 May, you may drive to outdoor publicly accessible open spaces irrespective of distance, but should follow social distancing guidance whilst you are there. You should plan ahead to ensure that, where you are visiting places like National Parks, you have checked that they are open and appropriately prepared for visitors. You should not go to ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces.

I have highlighted the two phrases that to my mind say we probably cannot take our boats out yet, Its down to whether the Broads Authority say they are prepared for visitors or not

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

well I have found this- is this the new guidance they have been telling us about?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

If so, there is not one word about boats or boating.

its not a 50 page publication though, unless it is in very large print.

That document does contain the following regarding businesses that must remain closed.

hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campsites, caravan parks, and boarding houses for commercial/leisure use, excluding use by those who live in them permanently, those who are unable to return home and critical workers where they need to for work

Thanks to British Marine, the trade body for many boating businesses and marinas pushing the government for clarification, they gave the following guidance

We have asked the UK government and their response was that marinas should be treated the same way as caravan parks which have been directed to close.

I would guestimate that unless the government can be persuaded that marinas are a totally different scenario to caravan parks, then we will be looking at the start of June when other non essential shops are possibly allowed to reopen, or the start of July when hospitality might be allowed to reopen, before we see marinas being opened.

Without marinas being opened, for many boating, or visiting their boat remains off limits. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

You can travel whatever you want in England, you can't stay overnight anywhere other than your own principal residence.

My marina has confirmed it is remaing closed and we shouldn't visit, they will check boats and report back..

yes it specifically says travel to a public open space, unless your boat is a public open space, that means you cant travel to it.

• Like 2

From my speed reading, it's full of waffle with none of the clarification the Waffler - in - chief led us to expect !

Lot's more making it up as we go along, and loads more room for interpretation together with opportunity for 'words of advice' to be given .

11 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

You can travel whatever you want in England, you can't stay overnight anywhere other than your own principal residence.

My marina has confirmed it is remaing closed and we shouldn't visit, they will check boats and report back..

I cant seem to find anything about overnighting was that in somewhere other than the PDF?

The page that Grendel linked to still has the over riding advice to stay at home, but you can go out for a limited number of reasons. To quote one of them, to exercise or, from Wednesday 13 May, spend time outdoors for recreation. So unless you intend sleeping outside, it would appear to mean once you have finished your outdoor recreation, you go home.

9 minutes ago, Simondo said:

I cant seem to find anything about overnighting was that in somewhere other than the PDF?

The following may clear things up for a lot of people. This is the updated guidance for the 13th May.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home for a holiday or other purpose is not allowed. This includes visiting second homes.

taken from that guidance seems to cover it, your boat classing as a second home no doubt.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The following may clear things up for a lot of people. This is the updated guidance for the 13th May.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

thanks, that is about the clearest document I have seen thus far.

54 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

If marinas deny requested access for maintenance checks and something drastic happens to a boat that could have been prevented with a simple visit by the owner, will the marina therfore be liable for the damage. Bearing in mind that some insurers stipulate that regular maintenance checks by the insured is required.

5 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

If marinas deny requested access for maintenance checks and something drastic happens to a boat that could have been prevented with a simple visit by the owner, will the marina therfore be liable for the damage. Bearing in mind that some insurers stipulate that regular maintenance checks by the insured is required.

Doubt it as they are following government advice. I suspect if that would be to happen then it would be uninsured but I'm sure it's happening and there will be in interesting test case to go through the courts at some point. 

7 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

The marinas have been told to close by the government, therefore it would be hard to hold them responsible. It is really a matter for your insurer. I would imagine that if a problem occurs then the insurer would be liable, but if the problem is down to long term lack of maintenance then they would look less favourably at your predicament.

9 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The marinas have been told to close by the government, therefore it would be hard to hold them responsible. It is really a matter for your insurer. I would imagine that if a problem occurs then the insurer would be liable, but if the problem is down to long term lack of maintenance then they would look less favourably at your predicament.

The government advice is very grey on the area of what can and cannot open, I think it would therefore be pragmatic for the marinas to open for set time, say 9am-5pm so owners could make a quick check on their vessel.