Womack Boatyard

andyg

Hi everyone, I'm looking for info or any pictures members may have and would like to share of a boatyard we use to hire from on womck water in the mid to late 70s. Two of the boat names were ST Tristan Sir Galahad, I think. My father and older brother use to hire from them and the cine film we have has now perished unfortunately. 

img003.thumb.jpg.d8241b63467e7b102b8fac4b10155cf0.jpg

This was the yard, photo taken at the start of our first season.

We lived in the bungalow on the front, which had a small riverside shop off the side.  There was a dyke leading back to a slipway, car park and a shed big enough for 2 boats.

The one that Andy hired is at the left hand end and is the same as the one on the right.  These were both ex Brooms Wavechiefs and are the same as the infamous Pelican but I don't think the Pelican was either of these two.  At least I hope not!  The sea-going cruiser in the centre was built privately by Landamores on the lines of a Vestella but she was a private customer - not one of the hire fleet!

1240201894_SirTristram2.thumb.jpeg.59d5763126662e90a3c3e871d9c4093d.jpeg

I suppose my favourite boat was this one. Ex Hamptons Classic Safari and was in private hands when I bought her.  Fitted with navigation lights but I hid the switch up under the dashboard. Its location was shown to selected regular customers only!  A lot of maintenance on the varnish, but an excellent hire boat.

I'm sorry I don't have many photos. I must have been too busy, at that time!

• Like 12

Hi Vaughan, thats it exactly how I remember it. Thank you very much. The only film we have that is still watchable is of mum and dad on the old Hampton boat. They went one sept it's was quite windy with strong sunshine, they both came home with what my dad called wind burn lol, bright red faces with big white patches around there eyes lol. Great memories of them, dad went on to hire the old Gainsborough girl a very similar boat to yours a think. Thanks again for the photo I will show my brother. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

img003.thumb.jpg.d8241b63467e7b102b8fac4b10155cf0.jpg

This was the yard, photo taken at the start of our first season.

We lived in the bungalow on the front, which had a small riverside shop off the side.  There was a dyke leading back to a slipway, car park and a shed big enough for 2 boats.

The one that Andy hired is at the left hand end and is the same as the one on the right.  These were both ex Brooms Wavechiefs and are the same as the infamous Pelican but I don't think the Pelican was either of these two.  At least I hope not!  The sea-going cruiser in the centre was built privately by Landamores on the lines of a Vestella but she was a private customer - not one of the hire fleet!

1240201894_SirTristram2.thumb.jpeg.59d5763126662e90a3c3e871d9c4093d.jpeg

I suppose my favourite boat was this one. Ex Hamptons Classic Safari and was in private hands when I bought her.  Fitted with navigation lights but I hid the switch up under the dashboard. Its location was shown to selected regular customers only!  A lot of maintenance on the varnish, but an excellent hire boat.

I'm sorry I don't have many photos. I must have been too busy, at that time!

What a very well turned out yard, a credit to you.

• Thanks 1

I was not very happy with the quality of that photo so here is a version when it must have been a bit less misty. The black and white photo shows where it was and the booklet may be of interest.

Let me know if you want to see the rest of the booklet.

Nigel (Ludham Community Archive Group)

MF209e.jpg

MF210.jpg

MF211.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, woodwose said:

There it was...

..... and then its gone...

I can't say I appreciate you posting those last photos, when I had already said I used to live in that bungalow.

I now feel as though someone has just walked over my grave.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I can't say I appreciate you posting those last photos, when I had already said I used to live in that bungalow.

The Ludham Archive can tell you the history of Ludham but it can't change it. I assumed you knew.

There have been a couple of threads recently where members (not you) have asked for information and I have supplied photos from the Ludham Archive. These pictures are drawn from the larger Archive Collection and are not on our website. If they are not appreciated then, that's fine. There will be no more.

If members need historical information about Ludham or the surrounding area, then its: enquiries@ludhamarchive.org.uk

Nigel (Ludham)

• Like 2

I rented a  Sachina from  Womack Boats, I think it was 1973. On arrival we were given a spark plug and plug spanner and told the boat had a new engine, two stroke I think, and it kept oiling up and might need the plug changing.

Off we went and had a great time. I  remember having to change the plug bobbing around at Thurne mouth after the engine just stopped. Loved it!

52 minutes ago, woodwose said:

The Ludham Archive can tell you the history of Ludham but it can't change it. I assumed you knew.

That is one hell of an apology, that is!

For posting photos that were taken on what was my land at the time but entirely without my knowledge. I suggest you take more care over your sources.

19 hours ago, andyg said:

St Tristan Sir Galahad,

Both names of boats that I remember as being built at Knights Creek, Oulton Broad during the 1960's. As a young 'un I used to help deliver groceries to both boats on a Saturday. Whether they are one and the same I don't know.

I was very sad to read this. I can fully understand Vaughan’s reaction and obviously a home and business to which you have devoted an important part of your life is very special to you. I don’t believe for a moment that Nigel had the slightest intention of causing any offence and I think the whole situation is most unfortunate. Both Nigel and Vaughan have a wealth of knowledge and have been able to share with us much of the past regarding the Broads which is so dear to us all.

It is very rare that issues such as this crop up on this Forum. Nigel has been posting here and on the other Forum for many years and as far as I am aware this is the first time any issues have arisen.

I really do wish that two people for whom I have the utmost respect could be reconciled. It really is a shame that this should cast a shadow over what is a very friendly and informative place.

Sorry, but I’m afraid I had to say something. Please don’t shoot me down in flames.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I now feel as though someone has just walked over my grave.

There it was,

and then it was gone,

and then it was a house.

I have to agree with Vaughan on this one and for me, it was a poor taste of words!

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I was very sad to read this. I can fully understand Vaughan’s reaction and obviously a home and business to which you have devoted an important part of your life is very special to you. I don’t believe for a moment that Nigel had the slightest intention of causing any offence and I think the whole situation is most unfortunate. Both Nigel and Vaughan have a wealth of knowledge and have been able to share with us much of the past regarding the Broads which is so dear to us all.

It is very rare that issues such as this crop up on this Forum. Nigel has been posting here and on the other Forum for many years and as far as I am aware this is the first time any issues have arisen.

I really do wish that two people for whom I have the utmost respect could be reconciled. It really is a shame that this should cast a shadow over what is a very friendly and informative place.

Sorry, but I’m afraid I had to say something. Please don’t shoot me down in flames.

Excellent post, Howard. I love discussions and photos about boatyards of years gone by. I too value Vaughan and Nigel's contributions both on this thread and elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Nigel, I feel a bit guilty as it was Me that asked for old photo. In my opinion thats exactly what both guys have done. I don't personally know either gentleman apart from seeing there input on this forum and enjoying Vaughan voice overs on the many harts cruiser video on you tube ( very good btw Vaughan ) I never intended to cause a fuss. 

• Like 2