Vat Tourism Cut To 5%

ChrisB

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Hylander said:

So if you have already booked a holiday August onward you should get a reduction on the balance to pay.  Am I correct.   Or even a refund?

I am in the same situation I have a boat booked and paid for (Carried over from April) I have been told VAT is payable at point of sale. So it doesn’t apply. You may be different if you haven’t paid the full amount.

Thank you.   Just about to pay the balance.   As you say may be at point of sale and think it is from August so I suppose anyone booking a holiday from August to January would be applicable.    Why is everything so blasted complicated.    I would normally have paid the balance just like that and thought nothing of it.

Ours is not a hire boat but a holiday cottage.   However, I think Graham is right.   I have paid the full amount but have still asked the question regarding the VAT.   When I get a definitive answer I will let you know. This holiday cottage is not Hoseasons but  Dont even think about ringing Hoseasons , spent another 3 hrs today telephoning and got nowhere.    Have tried, cancelling your holiday, booking a holiday and enquiring about a holiday and you get the same scenario, they just dont want to answer.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Bluesman54 said:

Hoseasons are using some very confusing excuse not to drop the VAT to 5% though so having to pay the full 20% for our September holiday, needless to say will never book with them again.

Are any of the boatyards passing on the reduction? When I booked our holiday with Waveney River Centre the price was the same whether direct or through Hoseasons 

10 minutes ago, Bluesman54 said:

Hoseasons are using some very confusing excuse not to drop the VAT to 5% though so having to pay the full 20% for our September holiday, needless to say will never book with them again.

Sounds like a very easy way to lose a lot of future bookings.

Goes to show that Hoseasons is nothing like the company many of us know from many many years ago.

Jeff

Believe me Hoseasons is not the only holiday company to adopt this stance.   We are booked in September for a holiday cottage and when I dare mention about the reduction in VAT I was put in my place immediately by being told this was NOT a perk for the customer but a perk for the holiday provider because of their losses over Covid19.   Make of that what you will.

I believe government guidance is that businesses should pass on the VAT saving to customers if they can.

'Hoseasons' and 'good customer service' are not phrases I would ever find the need to use in the same sentence. I've been stung by them too often and just don't bother with them now.

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Believe me Hoseasons is not the only holiday company to adopt this stance.   We are booked in September for a holiday cottage and when I dare mention about the reduction in VAT I was put in my place immediately by being told this was NOT a perk for the customer but a perk for the holiday provider because of their losses over Covid19.   Make of that what you will.

Same here with a September holiday cottage in Devon.

• Like 1

If the holiday was £1000 pounds and it was considered good value at the time of booking, is it not still good value ?

The fact the supplier can claim the Vat reduction to put towards loses incurred since March may well make the difference between being in business next year or going bust.

How many people will complain next year if fewer holidays are available and because of reduced capacity, prices rise.

I have businessess and I can confirm that many businessess have been very badly affected by Covid, it isn't fun and many won't be around next year, every bit of support to companies is desperately needed.

• Like 2