Illusion Or Reflection

At high water the BA list it as 6'6" so it certainly would be exciting!

Interestingly though , when it goes, it certainly goes out quickly!! I was up at Geldeston once and the tide was overlapping the moorings - by the time I got off the mooring and down to Beccles, there was tons of room!!!!!

Im not sure which one it was but one of this class was totally gutted a few years back and completely rebuilt internally , it looked very smart when finished. They do seem to do a very good job when building boats. The fleet is clearly very well looked after and presented in first class condition. I've seen some shocking looking boats out and about this season. 

4 hours ago, marshman said:

At high water the BA list it as 6'6" so it certainly would be exciting!

Yes, they similarly list PH as the same. 6'6" at high water. That's why I keep asking the question as to whether it (Beccels old bridge) has suffered the same reducing clearance over the last decade and a half.

Hi David All three bridges are to all intense flat the northan Thorpe bridge has a inch or so more clearance then the southern one, if going up to Gelderstone don't cut the corners at low tide you may run aground, can be shallow on inside bends the nearer you get to the pub. John

Thank you everyone, some really interesting information.

I have been under the Thorpe bridges in the very early 90's when I hired an Ocean 30 with a single aft cabin from Richardsons. I think the name was San Louis, but I may be wrong. If there is enough height we may go through on the way up to Norwich.

Geldeston is a different matter, I am pretty sure I have never been there, certainly not as an adult anyway, and it sounds as though it should be relatively easy, other than an hour or so either side of High Water.

Reflection was refitted in 2014. We have never hired from them before and it looks stunning, very much looking forward to it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, annv said:

All three bridges are to all intense flat the northan Thorpe bridge has a inch or so more clearance then the southern one,

Actually it was always the downstream bridge that was an inch and a half higher than the upstream. There was an article in the EDP in the 60s which suggested that this was caused by the new Jenners development, which had caused the island to sink at that end!

To which my father replied that in that case, it would have gone up at the other end!

• Like 2