Worrying About Our Holiday... Advice Sought

750XL

Hello all, this is my first time creating a thread here so please be kind :default_blink: Hopefully not broken any rules during the process, please let me know if I have.

Hoping to seek some advice from the seasoned boaters on this forum, as we've just booked a week on the Broads in October and I'm starting to get in a flap about it. 

Bit of background info. I've been on the Broads a few times (twice on Brinks Duet in recent years) so I'm not completely new to the Broads or boating but have always been on the Northern Broads except once as a kid when I recall being traumatised crossing Breydon and visiting the South for a few days...!  

The 2 of us have booked a week on "Waveney Pegasus"  from 1400 9th October to 0900 16th October. I understand there might be mixed opinions on this boat design but we decided to treat ourselves to a bit more 'luxury' than the cheaper boats we've hired in the past, mostly hoping it'll be a bit warmer on board given the time of year.  We ideally wanted to spend the majority of the holiday on the Northern Broads but I've started to get myself into a right old flap about crossing Breydon, whether we'll have the time/daylight to achieve it etc.

I'd really appreciate some insight, advice, hints, tips, or simply being told I'm wrong and it's unachievable.

image.png.09b24cfc54f51cd804531829c16ecabd.png

We pick up the boat at 1400 on 9th October from Waveney River Centre (near Oulton Broad) with the view to crossing Breydon on 10th. I think we should be able to make either St Olaves or Somerleyton but I understand there's a low bridge at Somerleyton. High tide seems to be around 1723 or so. I've been unable to find out the boats air draught so far, can anyone offer a guesstimate at Waveney Pegasus' air draft and whether we'll make it under Somerleyton or not?

As for crossing Breydon on the way 'up', I think I'm good with that - Leave St Olaves or Somerleyton first thing and aim to hit Yarmouth for 1047 on 10th October then on wards to the North.

However, the part that's worrying me, is getting back to the south with a 0900 return time on 16th. Assuming Thursday isn't achievable due to slack water being 1643 and sunset 1800 we're looking at making the crossing Wednesday 14th.

Weds 14th showing slack water as 1550 and sunset 1800. Would crossing Yarmouth/Breydon at 1550 and reaching the first moorings on the South be achievable in your experienced eyes? Is it possible to pass an hour earlier than the advertised slack water times or am I then risking not getting under the Yarmouth bridges given the height of this boat. I'm very apprehensive at the thought of crossing Breydon with the daylight rapidly disappearing and there being no room at the first moorings (presumably these are at Barney Arms or Burgh Castle?).

I'm sorry for all the questions, just a little unsure on it all especially given this is one of the taller boats available on the broads and don't want to find myself in a pickle once I'm there.

Thank you! 

we have our lads week in october every year, and we always manage to cross Breydon, sometimes its cross and moor up at great Yarmouth, or reedham if going the other way, but generally its light enough at one end of the day or other to get across, it looks like we might be going the opposite direction to you as our lads week starts on the 9th and we generally head south. somerleyton is a swing bridge, and as its not mid summer stands a good chance of being able to open, im not sure what its height is, but it should be passable at lowish tide no matter what. this year it seems reasonable at 11 am ish for low slack, which might be a bit of a push for us heading south from potter heigham.

you can pass at other than low slack, but one way or another you will then be fighting the tide, (or carried with it down  the bure) best bet is to phone the yacht station and ask what the height is under the bridges to see if it has the clearance you need, I believe the most clearance isnt at low slack, but earlier. worst case get under the bridge and moor up at yarmouth until the flood begins and then continue up on the flood.

First thing - don’t worry!  That is the last thing you want on a holiday on the Broads.  I’d say that crossing Breydon on Saturday is ideal, time wise.  There are moorings at Somerleyton, Herringfleet or St Olaves to head for when you pick up the boat.  Yarmouth from there would be about two hours cruising time, so leaving around 09:00 from your overnight stop should see you through there around slack water.  As Cambridge Cabby said, passing through Yarmouth doesn’t have to be exactly at slack water, there is some leeway either way, but it may cause you to punch the tide for a while.  Once across you would have plenty of time to reach safe moorings for Saturday night.

The return could be made on Wednesday at low water, just before 15:00, which would allow time to reach your moorings in plenty of time.  Alternatively, return south on Tuesday and spend a couple of days exploring some of the southern rivers.  A trip down the Chet is well worth it and there are some good moorings at Pyes Mill, just before Loddon basin.  
As far as the air-draft of Pegasus is concerned, I would suggest it’s around 8’3”, although that is purely a guess.  A call to WRC would settle your curiosity and calm some of your fears, so just call them.  Answering your questions is part of the reason they are there.

Have a great time.  

• Like 1

For what its worth , I think its all doable given fair weather.

Somerleyton Bridge is a swing bridge and  if you hang around, he will open if no trains are around, so you can easily make Somerleyton moorings just the other the other side of the bridge, or Herringfleet a bit further down. Somerleyton you can walk to the pub, or Herringfleet a bit more isolated. 

No rush to leave early doors - no need to leave until about 9.15. Going north you can leave it up to an hour after slack as the tide runs out of the Bure for at least 30/45mins later than slack usually  - otherwise you can face a bit of a push from the mouth of the Bure to well past the Yacht Station, although it is neaps.

Coming back you can easily be at the Yacht Station an hour before slack, i.e.around 15.00 because around then the tide will be about to begin turning up the Yare and then you have at least 3hrs of daylight or more given its only sunset - Oulton Broad easily in that time without much of a problem! If you don't want to push, then all the places as going up!

As the other posters indicate, you can ring Yarmouth YS as you come down the Bure - just before you get to the old Marina Quays which is a bit of a wreck these days, the river is quite wide and flows relatively gently around there, slow down, do a circle until you have spoken to them, and then come down the last bit when they have confirmed its OK. As you go up , you will see where it is quite wide and use that as a reference point. Don't try and hang up further down as it quickens rapidly as the river narrows

7 minutes ago, webntweb said:

St Olaves bridge has an average high water clearance of 8ft although I have known it to be less, so that may have to be taken into consideration with your timings. 

Heading towards Breydon, travel would be with a falling tide, so there should be sufficient clearance depending on airdraft.  The return journey would potentially be on a rising tide, or around slack, so again shouldn’t be an issue.  However, it would be possible to head towards Reedham and bypass St Olaves completely, if necessary.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum 750XL. You seem to have ‘done’ the northern broads previously so why not spend your time aboard on the southern side? You won’t have the worry of crossing Breydon at appropriate times and there is much to see and do on the Yare, Waveney and Chet. It will probably be quieter too. 
I have seen Waveney Pegasus about a few times over the last couple of weeks, it looks an interesting boat and should give you plenty of comfort for October. 
Have a great time wherever you decide to go. :default_stinky:

I do not think, unless he is miles out with his timing, he should be anywhere near St Olaves at high water - nonetheless a prudent Skipper will always be checking the height indicators furthest from the bridge to just check before finally committing!

• Like 2

Looking at the tide table I would be looking to return on the Wednesday or Thursday. We’ve done a latish passage through Yarmouth northward a few years back and ended up mooring on an emergency pontoon as we found that we weren’t going to reach Stracey Arms before sunset.

Anyways, given the advantage of quieter rivers that the southern Broads offer, why the dash north? (Just an observation as we’ve been lucky enough to spend some time both north and south this month.)

I would not be at all surprised Dave. The fella is quite a charcter. Can keep you amused and informed about anything for hours. Interesting background as well, his sister is Sarah Royal of Royal Boats at Wroxham. He had a cracking yard up ay Wayford bridge which was not expensive, had excellent facitil;ities for diy and assisted repairs. Saved my holidaybig time on one occasion on 'Gelmore'. Huge fan of his. Now concentrates on Boat transport.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the informative and helpful replies, what a lovely forum this seems to be! Most other places I'd have expected half a dozen sarcastic unhelpful responses. 

Sounds like we'll give it a shot and try make it across to the North and back if the weather is favourable. Will of course ask for a second opinion when doing the handover at Waveney just in case I've missed something and they don't think it's achievable.

My main concerns were making it under Somerleyton on the Friday to reach moorings by sunset (assuming there's none on the Waveney side of the bridge?) as high tide looks to be 1730 ish.

Along with my concerns of not making it back across Breydon to reach moorings by sunset on the Weds or Thurs, but other members seem to have settled my worries here regarding that :)

Re punching against the tides... This doesn't bother me too much, as the weeks rental is fuel inclusive - may as well get my moneys worth :default_biggrin:

I know staying in the Southern Broads would probably be easier, but for some reason we just really want to head back onto the Northern Broads as this is what we've enjoyed the last few times. I may of course be wrong, but I seem to recall the South not being quite as nice when I visited a long time ago as a kid - perhaps this has skewed my perception of it! I just vaguely recall lots of sailing with nothing much more than tall reeds either side

• Like 1

I won’t go into the techie side as there are far better than me to comment on that, but like you the first time I crossed Breydon as non ‘fireproof’ adult 8 years ago (I did it in 1981 as a 21 year old with no advice from the boatyard  and made a bit of a ‘cods’ of it) I like you worried myself to the point of thinking this isn’t a holiday!

It turned out to be doddle and since that day I’ve crossed a number of times, so my advice, DONT WORRY!

The fact you are thinking about it means IMO you’ll be absolutely fine!

Personally, I think ‘the south’ is rather special. There’s quite a lot of banter here and there on the forum jokingly trying to dissuade people from coming down south. It’s generally quieter. Bit more distance between places, but given the advice to run your engine for a certain number of hours that’s an advantage.

• Like 4