A Mooring On The Northern Waters

MauriceMynah

As I may have mentioned, I am looking for a larger boat though I'm in no rush. I'm going to need a mooring on the busy side of the bridge as I don't seem to be able to find a boat that I like, that will go under given the new normal bridge clearance. Hey ho! great shame as I love the mooring I have at the moment.

I think the sensible thing is that I get a northern mooring as soon as is reasonable for me, then hunt down the larger boat later. Now, I've e-mailed two moorings over a week ago but neither has had the courtesy to reply. (Coughs very loudly at a member of this forum who has a big hire fleet!!! ) regarding prices terms etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated as long as they don't end with the word "off"

I take your point Marshy, but I'm rather glued to Essex at the moment, looking after my mates mother. I would like to read prices and T&Cs so I can start the procedure and sort out some of the early stages. Richardson's and Broadsedge have a lot to offer as I like the Ant. Percy's island is another possibility, so if anyone knows a name to talk to I'd be interested.

Having moored in two other marinas before, I cant imagine ever moving from Broadsedge. Its so pretty and relaxing we don't always feel the need to go out for a cruise because its just a lovely place to be.  

I think the real problem with emails is that they probably get a similar one at least once a day, many from people only half interested and some just out of interest - I suspect to be honest that they all have better things to do with their time in what are the busiest weeks of their season. Get a boat lined up and it may be a different tune - if you were to buy off a broker, most have so much space at the mo ,I am sure they would find a slot to park it whilst you looked around!

What  I am trying to say, politely, is that its not urgent for them - although I accept it is to you! Personally I think it its a bit cart before the horse at the moment, especially as there is probably bu**er all around at the moment - the market looks as though its going to be tight for some months ahead is my guess.

For me Richardson’s worked well. Great mooring with just about everything you need close and I must admit, friendly staff. 
And yes I did buy one of their ex hires. 
Also I did do the email thing to just about every yard and I got 2 replies. 
So face to face works 

Guest Jayfire

Having been looking at private moorings lately for a "friend", I've found that there are a number of marina's not very good with the old emaily replyy thingy MM. Whilst obviously there are other forms of communication, like you it doesn't seem to be great customer service.

Anyhoo....my "friend" required a smaller mooring than you require but the only Northern spot available was Richardsons at Stalham, who were very helpful via all communications although the available moorings were only the undercover ones. So maybe give them a try, or get some sexy lady to do the legwork for you like I...erm my "friend" did :default_norty:

My "friend" is on the waiting list at most yards now though :default_biggrin:

Thank you all for the replies. and CambridgeCabby,  yes please I would appreciate your enquiring. 

There are three things to happen, and prioritising these issues as a whole is a bit catch 22.

I need to buy a bigger boat.

I need to sell Nyx, and

I need to find a mooring for the new boat.

My idea had been to find a stern on mooring that would accommodate a boat up to 45' max. I hope my new boat to be 35' +, then to find the new boat and finally to sell Nyx (without a name as the name Nyx will go on the new boat.) That seemed to be the best order to do it all.

If I buy an ex-hire from Richardson's I would be interested in moorings there, either temporary or preferably permanent. Actually, a Stalham mooring would be my first choice.   ( I wonder if there's a space on the staithe :-)   )  

Suffice to say that being temporarily tied up here in Essex does not help, but equally, some of the possible outcomes might accelerate my requirement for a boat. and I am trying to avoid being cornered by circumstances. 

Edited to add best wishes to Jayfire's friend.

• Like 1

I'm with Maurice and Jay on this one. Businesses don't have to have an email address. If they are not going to respond to them, then don't advertise an email address, publish telephone numbers only. Mind you the face to face thing doesn't always work that well either. Called into a large yard in Brundall last year for fuel and asked for a quote on some repairs. Wait for a suitably qualified person to come along and take a look. Takes all my details and says he'll get back to me. Nothing! obviously don't want the business, but a courtesy call to say they are too busy, job not big enough for them, not enough money in it for them, anything would be nice. Had similar with a small well recommended yard in Stalham last year. Went for a quote, was contacted with a price a few days later all good. Ring up two weeks later to book the boat in for work to be told the person who gave the quote has now left. No problem I still want the work done. You'll have to come back in again for us to look and quote again, we have no record of the last quote!

Best wishes to Jay, sorry Jay's "friend" sounds intriguing!

Over the years of communicating with Norfolk, I have found email probably the worst method.  I use email a lot, my way of communication but this isn't always reciprocated and to be honest the phone works best but then there isn't a paper trail which sometimes you want!

Having sent an email, with no response, I will ring and the answer is 'oh yes we got that' but needless to say they didn't respond to say 'thank you for your email etc. etc. '

• Like 1

You know I’ve found this problem in a lot “marine” environments. 
some say it nails your colours  to the wall as to what is said

others say some aren’t literate enough With the spalling 

still others say they are swamped with emails and it takes me away from paying work

and those that say this is a face to face business 

Me? I say that modern life now expects new forms of communication and expect to lose work if you don’t keep up 

Have you considered Sutton Staithe Boatyard?  Pretty sure one or two Forum members are moored there and Rob, who runs its, seems a decent enough bloke.  
http://www.suttonstaitheboatyard.co.uk/

Might be worth a call, but with boat sales being so buoyant at the moment, possibly due to folk buying boats instead of holidaying abroad, moorings are becoming quite scarce just now.  Talking to Paul at Swancraft, he said he has never had so many enquiries for moorings as he is getting now.

Our absent friend Boyce moored at Sutton Staithe and introduced me to Rob. He is indeed both friendly and helpful, we are certainly happy there and having a very good boat shed n hand for repairs etc. is a bonus. There are no for never pontoons between boats, doesn't seem to bother anyone, including us.

Sutton Staithe Hotel within staggering distance.

Rob's number is Office - 01692 581653

Mobile - 07500 190718