How To Mudweight?

750XL

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

should not be used on the broads ? and if so, why?

Ships are held at anchor by the length of chain, not the anchor itself. Usually the chain is three times the depth of water.

The anchor is designed to pull itself into the seabed when it is pulled by the chain, so it is anchoring the chain, not the ship.

Most "grounds" for anchoring are sand or gravel bottoms, so the bottom of Barton Broad would not be appropriate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Ships are held at anchor by the length of chain, not the anchor itself. Usually the chain is three times the depth of water.

The anchor is designed to pull itself into the seabed when it is pulled by the chain, so it is anchoring the chain, not the ship.

Most "grounds" for anchoring are sand or gravel bottoms, so the bottom of Barton Broad would not be appropriate!

when does a boat become a ship ?

12 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Am I correct in believing that normal anchors, Bruces Danforths etc. should not be used on the broads ?

In my experience a suitable sized Bruce is excellent for holding in mud. Indeed I also carry a 5kg one that I can lob a fair old distance in the event of my running aground & wishing to kedge my way back into deeper water. A 'fisherman' anchor is next to useless in Broads mud but by heck they hold well when lobbed into the reeds.

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

I'm enjoying this thread and learned a lot.

Another mudweight question - if I want to use a wild mooring where there's a tree for tying up the stern but no bank for a rhond anchor at the bows, am I safe to use the mudweight? 

This is a method often used and seen along the Ant , when using this method always approach the spot very slowly with your bow , checking carefully for any underwater obstructions .

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I'm enjoying this thread and learned a lot.

Another mudweight question - if I want to use a wild mooring where there's a tree for tying up the stern but no bank for a rhond anchor at the bows, am I safe to use the mudweight? 

Exactly what I did when I broke down the other week whilst I fixed things

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, marshman said:

And I felt quite guilty contradicting Mr AB!!!!!!

Don't be. I get things wrong all the time, just most (some?) of the time I stop myself from vocalising or typing my mistakes. :-)

There are many reasons you might want a second mudweight, but you need to be aware of the benefits and the detractions.