Boat Show

Andrewcook

Hi to Forum Boating enthusiast as there always been a Boat Show in London every Year in January that has now been sunct by this awful Virus . I like going to the show  seeing different Boats including Sailing and dinghies plus Jet Boats also New Engines that I like seeing and having Shows where different  Pool side Village been created around it. So when is the Boat Show for us all to meet again  as Vera Lynne says ?

Oh happy days. About 6 or so years ago I used to book a days holiday, weekday ticket for the London Boat Show £10, book train tickets in advance - £7 each way from Market Harborough. So after a hard day walking round the show and stopping on the way back to take in Tower Bridge at night, treat myself to first class trip home for £14.

The only downside being the cost of what they tried to pass off as Guinness was nearly as much as the train ticket!

• Like 1

I well remember when the Earl's Court Boat Show was as much a part of Christmas as is holly and mistletoe, when folk in the industry worked though the holiday period to ready their exhibits whilst the punters sobered up sufficiently to be able to board a train to London, meeting old and new friends on the journey. A long day ending with dinner at a top restaurant followed by a show before catching the last train home. Good old times! The Excel never generated the same atmosphere, too much unattainable bling for one thing! 

A boatshow.jpg

• Like 4

And not forgetting the Guinness stand, always in the centre near the pool and the place where everyone arranged to meet their friends when visiting the show.  It was always rumoured that Guinness made a special brew for the Boat Show, as they sold probably millions of pints.  Don't know if that was true but it certainly seemed to taste better there, somehow!

• Like 4

The boat show was never very good after Earls Court which is now demolished and replaced with flats. Would always arrange to meet up with friends on the Guinness Stand, as did so many others. Walking around the first floor balcony looking over the pool, gave such a great view of boats below and added to the fabulous atmosphere we got there in the depth of winter. RIP Earls Court you are sorely missed. 

• Like 5

We always went to the Earls Court boat show on the last Sunday. Usually we were able to park right outside the main entrance, and just walk up the steps till  they put in the red route. Being the last day there were usually some good deals to be done.  I was sorry went they moved  it to Excel, Nothing like the same atmosphere.  We only went to a couple  after that.

Carole

• Like 2

Earls Court had a good atmosphere, but it was a pain during build up and breakdowns especially upstairs having to share the lifts to move equipment around.

Excel was good in the early days and access was fantastic, no where to eat in the evenings without a cab journey though.

• Like 1

The boats exhibited on Blakes and Hoseasons stands had to be there at least 10 days before the show started, as they were all craned into place one by one, like a giant jigsaw puzzle and then the rest of the show was built up around them. Each boat was booked in on a certain date, so as not to cause traffic problems as each one amounted to an abnormal load.

There was one occasion when Blakes had boats exhibited afloat on the pool and one of them, delivered there days before, had a problem with a seacock and sank, about 2 days before the show started!

• Like 2

Earls Court which is now demolished and replaced with flats.

Really? - I didn't know that, proper sad to hear this.

The first time I went to Earls court was 1977.  It was the year of the silver jubilee.  I was part of the Royal guard for the opening ceremony of the Royal Tournament.  The event was attended by 'The Boss'  We marched onto the sawdust with the Royal marine band.  Formed two deep and gave her Maj a Royal salute.  She then came down onto the sawdust (Which was not planned to happen but then who could refuse her?) to inspect the guard. 

She stopped in front of just one sailor and had a brief conversation with him.  A Yorkshireman (Boy) of just 17 Yrs old (Young) that sailor was me.  Later that night on ringing my Mum n Dad they proudly announced they had seen me with the Queen on News at ten!

The rest of the tournament, we were allowed to watch the whole event, the only time I have seen the Royal tournament in person.  During the breaks I had been pre ordered to hand out my service name / address on pre hand written cards to as many pretty girls as I could - officially it was for pen pals etc, this was 77 after all.  What with us still being in our guard uniform I ran out of cards in minutes.

Then came numerous times attending Earls court to see the boat shows.  That venue certainly has some happy memories for me.

Griff

• Like 3

I went to the Royal Tournament every year with my school. The Royal Navy Field Gun Run was my highlight.

The Daily Express Boat Show and motor Show were also yearly musts. Excel and the NEC lack that magic ingredient, The West End, with it's Hotels, restaurants and shows and in the case of the Boat Show, in January, the "Sales" at Harrods and the like. Many made it a short family holiday after Christmas looking forwards to Summer.

The last time I attended Excel was 2006 and Judith and I went two days running as we were serious purchasers. We stayed at The Four Seasons, Canary Wharf for two nights. We came away a lot poorer and swore we would only ever do Southampton in future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

The Daily Express Boat Show and motor Show were also yearly musts. Excel and the NEC lack that magic ingredient, The West End, with it's Hotels, restaurants and shows and in the case of the Boat Show, in January, the "Sales" at Harrods and the like. Many made it a short family holiday after Christmas looking forwards to Summer.

Exactly right! Mind you, not always family events, for many of us the Boat Show was a full blown, extravagant 'lads' event! Heavens, if we'd taken the ladies along they would have insisted on buying curtains and having shoe lockers installed!  

• Haha 1

Ah, smaller halls and a cloud of nicotine smoke hovering just above the heads of the crowds... the good ol' days!

NEC prices are through the roof! I remember them shouting about free parking when it opened but I suppose as long as we are mug enough to go there....   Can be cheaper by rail, if you can make it out of New Street Station on the right train.

Excel is fun to get to, an interesting place and combined with a bit of London viewing is a good day out from here. Plenty of places for a drink and something to eat. Southampton would be a bit more of a challenge travel wise and I imagine even more so the further North you're from. 

23 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Same after the car show left Earls Court and moved to the NEC (?).

Went to the bike show at NEC one year and whilst sitting in the car in the car park witnessed four guys get out of a car, put their leathers & boots on and stroll in - Prats! 

It's still the same with County and Game shows where people, especially dog owners, parade around in a pastiche of County clothing, a bit like some of the presenters on antiques related programs, leather hats and big checks! 

Hi Broad Ambition

Yes I'm afraid Earls Court has been demolished (or rather dismantled, they took the roof and cladding off then dismantled the steel frame).

I always hoped the show would return to Earls Court, but before I retired in 2017, I use to stand on the platform at West Brompton tube station each morning and sadly watch the exhibition centre being taken apart. :default_crying1animated: 

• Sad 1