Cars To Be Banned From The Broads?

JennyMorgan

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

If this unlikely ban is brought in what then for the Broads? The area isn't a national park thus such a ban would surely not apply. Indeed the BA has no responsibility for road traffic. I wonder what the real national parks would then say if the Broads maintained the NP masquerade yet ignored the NP traffic ban?  Electric or diesel, not the issue, it's the sheer number of cars and visitors that is the problem. As we have seen during this past winter North Norfolk has suffered a massif influx of cars, it's not just an NP issue. As far as the Broads is concerned the area might be the route but it's not necessarily the destination. Ban cars that want to go from Norwich to Yarmouth, it would be an absolute nonsense! I don't see this scheme reaching fruition but interesting times ahead if it does.

Blimey, calm down Peter, it's not going to happen. You'll be declaring war on Fredonia next! :default_smiley-char054:

Here's your man:

"Writer, angler and amateur naturalist. Conservation, environment and fly fishing are specialities.

Gray's Sporting Journal (USA), BBC Wildlife Magazine, BBC Countryfile Magazine, Derbyshire Life, Fallon's Angler, Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Magazine, Yorkshire Post, Sunday Telegraph.

Podcasts for BBC Countryfile Magazine.

Photography.

Story consultant.

Communications consultant.

Fly fishing guide on England's historic River Dove. (Contact for details.)"

Just a journalist then, and a fellow fisherman. "Story consultant" - creativity part of what he does then. So creating a provocative little article is more likely to get published, and the more reaction to that article will in turn, provoke more of the same. I'm not taking the bait. :default_coat:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Has anyone bothered to ask the local residents and businesses in the NPs let alone the Norfolk towns and villages adjacent to the Broads how they are going to conduct their everyday lives.

Fred

My thoughts exactly -  I have read some tripe recently but this takes the biscuit.     Just because on 1 day a year the sun comes out and so does the public - well I'll go to the foot of our stairs, shock horror, ban them.   Get on with it. Thinking about it , what I would give to have it safe enough to go out and about once more.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, floydraser said:

Blimey, calm down Peter, it's not going to happen. You'll be declaring war on Fredonia next! 

I don't see it happening but when the village idiots gain power then Bob's your Aunty!

There was an interesting article on BBC's Countryfile the other day concerning The Mendips and the extreme pressure the national park there is under. Once the seed has been planted . . . . . . . . . . . .  

I am lucky to live in a beautiful village in the Peak Park, it is an old estate village in the grounds of a grand house, we get inundated with tourists wanting to park for free, and avoid the couple of quid to park at the big house. All the residents have no parking signs , these are ignored. During the first lockdown our village like lots of other places was deserted, it looked wonderful, empty of cars, when viewed from the nearby walks. I have long been an advocate of not allowing cars into our village, even parking the residents cars out of site, this would be easy to do as we have plenty of hidden spaces.Cars bring nothing to our village but increasingly rude passengers, we have a tea rooms that would probably object, but plenty of walkers.

I think this needs to be an option for areas of our national parks, but a blanket ban is unthinkable, I for one don't trust the powers that be, to make the decision.

One thing the pandemic highlighted, just how beautiful our countryside is without cars, if youre lucky enough to live here.

And there I think is the problem.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

I think this needs to be an option for areas of our national parks, but a blanket ban is unthinkable, I for one don't trust the powers that be, to make the decision.

To the above I would add areas of outstanding natural beauty. Both Norfolk & Suffolk have such areas and last summer, when restrictions were eased, many country roads were at absolute standstill, often as a result of inconsiderately parked cars and oversized motor homes making roads impassable. At the moment many miles of double yellow lines could be the answer but what an eyesore that would be! Inevitably there would be the obvious danger of mission creep. In truth the countryside was not prepared for last year's onslaught and in many areas a very real onslaught it was too! Call me lucky but I live 9/10s of a mile from Oulton Broad's village centre and we had scores of visiting cars parked outside. Mind you, that was a bit of fun as many asked us the way to the Broad itself to which we  sometimes gave a few a lift across to the Park by boat. For most that was a real adventure in itself and we had some good laughs on the way. Nevertheless such days were few and far between. I don't know the answer but I do know that by and large my wife and I are enjoying the extra folk using our lane and pausing for a chat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Just another example of the BBC trying to promote its metropolitan-focused agenda, which sees the countryside as a kind of picturesque museum or a very rich person's playground. 

We are not all rich let alone very rich but yes, you have a point. The demands on the toll payer, especially at the big boat end, are testament to that perception.

• Like 1

Have you noticed how many tv programmes  are featuring Devon and Cornwall at the moment, perhaps the commissioning editors are indulging themselves by making these pointless cheap tv programmes to highlight their own second home backyard beauty spots, bet the ordinary inhabitants are going to love the outcome of that come the lockdown being lifted.

1 hour ago, Victoryv said:

Have you noticed how many tv programmes  are featuring Devon and Cornwall at the moment, perhaps the commissioning editors are indulging themselves by making these pointless cheap tv programmes to highlight their own second home backyard beauty spots, bet the ordinary inhabitants are going to love the outcome of that come the lockdown being lifted.

The last remaining Tier 1 area before Lockdown, much easier to film in.

The Estate that we live on is currently featuring on a TV programme aired weekly, my wife has been involved in some of the filming, the crew, in total, amounted to two, we watched some of the filming during the summer, technology, drones etc. seem to make filming very easy, even during the lockdown period.

I went to do a job in Grantchester, Cambridgeshire in November and they were filming another series at the time with a lot of the locals involved, that is until one of them cane down  Covid and they had to stop until all was clear.

John

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

We are not all rich let alone very rich but yes, you have a point. The demands on the toll payer, especially at the big boat end, are testament to that perception.

I was thinking rich in terms of those with sufficient wealth to dedicate large tracts of land to the "re-wilding" projects that seem to be so beloved of BBC Countryfile. These initiatives seem to involve stocking land with wolves, beaver, otters and other species that were so pesky the first time round that we hunted them to extinction.  The other key feature of these great works is that the species involved are always allowed to "escape"  into the wild to become some kind of hyper-protected "totem" animal to the joy of the birdie boys and other nature fanatics and the general annoyance of anyone within a 50 mile radius who has to try to make a living out of the land.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victoryv said:

...bet the ordinary inhabitants are going to love the outcome of that come the lockdown being lifted.

Likely to be more crowded than before the lockdown given that travel abroad are going to be restricted in many ways, at least in the near future.

2 hours ago, Victoryv said:

.... technology, drones etc. seem to make filming very easy, even during the lockdown period.

With a drone you can do aerial filming without the need for a noisy helicopter and at a faction of the cost (I am aware that drones are not silent but the noise level is far lower than for a heli).

26 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I was thinking rich in terms of those with sufficient wealth to dedicate large tracts of land to the "re-wilding" projects that seem to be so beloved of BBC Countryfile.

Are you, perchance, thinking of the initiative, published today, to bring  Sea Eagles to Norfolk, in large numbers and release them onto the marshes near the coast around Snettisham?  That apparently, will bring about re-wilding of tracts of farmland if they have their way.

But it's all right, because the eagles have promised they are only going to eat fish and the odd Greylag gosling at weekends. Of course, they are not going to take piglets, new-born lambs or swan cygnets. That would not be playing the game!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Of course, they are not going to take piglets, new-born lambs or swan cygnets. That would not be playing the game!

Bet the local moggies will be a bit worried though. They are a bit bigger than your local starling. Is there any history of sea eagles in Norfolk?

• Colin :default_beerchug:

48 minutes ago, Islander said:

Bet the local moggies will be a bit worried though. They are a bit bigger than your local starling. Is there any history of sea eagles in Norfolk?

• Colin :default_beerchug:

They have been seen flying over Norfolk. Indeed I was fortunate to see one last year flying very high over Strumpshaw.

• Like 1

Walk a tight line here.

Once again, lose the public interest and you can kiss goodbye to public grants and protection.

Land grab time by those who see the countryside as a painting by Constable.

Cant help feeling the BA was lobbied by the canoe and paddle board section as to the November exclusion to motorboaters.