Investment Opportunity In Reedham

NorfolkNog

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

So what was the attraction of the place when the tea room was open? I'm sure the owner wouldn't have opened it if there hadn't been visitors already. . . . . . . . . . .

Reedham used to have a little general store by the river, a post office and the two pubs.  I believe what used to be the post office has been changed to residential accommodation now and the general store is no more.  The shop itself is close to the rangers hut, on the opposite side of the road.  There is still a shop there, next to the fish and chip shop.  
Back in the eighties, it used to be difficult mooring at Reedham, unless you double moored.  Petitts used to attract a lot of visitors when they used to make things from feathers - then it turned into an animal park.  We used to take our son there when he was young.  They had an enclosure with pygmy goats and other small animals in that you could go in and feed, as well as other cages and enclosures with birds of prey.  There was a taxidermists workshop that was open to visitors, too.I think it’s more of an adventure park for young children now, but quite expensive to go into.

It’s difficult to say what’s happened at Reedham, but it seems to have lost whatever it was that made it so popular back then.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Reedham used to have a little general store by the river, a post office and the two pubs.  I believe what used to be the post office has been changed to residential accommodation now and the general store is no more.  The shop itself is close to the rangers hut, on the opposite side of the road.  There is still a shop there, next to the fish and chip shop.  
Back in the eighties, it used to be difficult mooring at Reedham, unless you double moored.  Petitts used to attract a lot of visitors when they used to make things from feathers - then it turned into an animal park.  We used to take our son there when he was young.  They had an enclosure with pygmy goats and other small animals in that you could go in and feed, as well as other cages and enclosures with birds of prey.  There was a taxidermists workshop that was open to visitors, too.I think it’s more of an adventure park for young children now, but quite expensive to go into.

It’s difficult to say what’s happened at Reedham, but it seems to have lost whatever it was that made it so popular back then.

To be correct - Three Pubs (One at the Ferry) Post Office opposite the Rangers Hut open Mon /Wed /Fri Mornings incorporating the Tea Room (Hours according to season including 7 days a week in summer) Grocery Shop 7 days a week (Hours according to season) Fish & Chips + usual extras Thu Fri Sat at lunchtime and evening (all year round except proprietors holidays. 

Back in the days of more than double the number of hire craft there were Two Grocery Shops on Riverside & two on the Hills including a Coop

Mustn't forget the Train Station serving Norwich & Lowestoft with some direct trains to Great Yarmouth (All new rolling stock) 

20 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

The Ferry + The Lord Nelson ( under new management for 2021 ) The Ship

I hadn’t included The Ferry as it’s away from the rest of the village and has its own moorings, which are considerably fewer now than before, too.

• Like 1

Reedham is surrounded by nature reserves, not far from either Yarmouth or Norwich, has a brewery & Petitts, plus all those pubs. By boat it is near the Roman remains at Burgh Castle. It also has an excellent wall for sitting on and watching the world go by. Wroxham or Reedham? Reedham every time for me! It may not be the holiday resort that it was but for a rural, riverside village it's a lovely village. It lacks the shops and crowds of Wroxham, it has riverside car parking, brilliant! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

it is still the best daytime stop-off on the Yare for me.

And me. The moorings are nearly always full overnight, and it attracts many motorists, who park up overlooking the river. Once the triangular walk to the Ferry Inn reopens, that will add another string to it's bow. We used to visit the Lord Nelson when the last deceased landlord was there. Used to offer a wonderful evening of entertainment, with the various bands and live music in general. Always a stopover point for me, as so much going on with the passing/mooring river traffic. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, marshman said:

Oh dear - you build information centres in areas of high footfall and I promise you that Reedham has none of that! There is nothing in Reedham to attract visitors other than a mooring and I think a info. centre would be empty all of the day!! Who goes to Reedham just to visit it - its no reflection on Reedham itself but its has nothing to attract, or even keep visitors.

I accept it has two pubs and a little brewery but are the sort of places you would go out of your way to get to - why keep it as a car park when there is plenty of on road parking and I am sure, however nice a place it is, it is just not the sort of place you would just go to to visit - its hardly Ranworth!!!! It used to have a very nice tearooms but even that had to close, or so I believe, because of lack of custom. ( My apologies if its still open! ) But sadly, even though I live less than 10 miles away I cannot remember the last time I went to the place.

And as for listing the shed - one day in a decent breeze it will probably blow down!

I have a feeling the site might include the old Halls yard well known for building wherries - or it might not but if it isn't, expect that to be developed too as I believe it to be owned by a well known Broadland individual.

I do not recognise the Reedham that you have described. But I do recognise that you have not visited for some time.

It is a most delightful place. 

A place of history, of tragedy. Of importance in it's day. Please don't belittle it Marshman, it is worth more than that.

• Like 3

The idea of a riverside property with moorings at the bottom of the garden has definite appeal but ideal location really depends on how precious you are about your boat. I'm sure I recall a gentleman up towards the Ship end who was constantly frustrated with the amount of wash created by passing boats.

Sad to see Sandersons go for sure however Reedham ticks lots of boxes as a place to live: views, trains and beers!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Reedham ticks lots of boxes as a place to live: views, trains and beers!

Yep! Humpty Dumpty just up the road. Lottery and all that. 

I'm sure there was a programme on TV about that guy. I wish I'd recorded it. Called his boat Mudbucket or something similar. He had a camera set up in his lounge I seem to recall. Kept dashing out to remonstrate! 

• Like 1

I accept that Reedham must offer something to some people but I wasn't sure about PW's idea of a Tourist Information office.

I am glad it has its charm, to some people, but the fact you can almost always park alongside the river says something to me too! But it takes all sorts......!!! 

Incidentally I am aware of the existence of The Ferry Inn - but sadly not to my taste and not really part of the village! How much better, to start with, it would be if they did something about their moorings! 

Guest Jayfire
43 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

You back again? :default_norty:  :default_biggrin:

Thought it had been a bit quiet around here :default_biggrin:

Ah, sorry about that me old :default_biggrin: 

Not been having a great time over here for a while but I'm throwing myself into my running in a maybe not so sensible way to cope with my mental health issues :facepalm:

Anyway I'm around again now, so if you've enjoyed the quiet and sensibility on the forum....sorry :default_rofl:

41 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Early release ? :default_rofl:

:default_biggrin: something like that