Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

We had intended to return under the bridge sometime close to low tide this afternoon. However, on waking I checked the weather which was promising a band of heavy rain late afternoon, around the time of low tide, so we hurriedly set off hoping that the pilot would be able to take us through at 8.30 or soon after. We got there just before 8 though and thought we had sufficient clearance, so took her through ourselves again. 

We are now sitting in yet another White Horse ...the Neatishead one. Harry is quaffing a pint of that whisky cask cider that the Admiral likes so much. Harry does too. 

:default_drinks:

• Like 3

Would be nice to meet, but the rain has really set in. We are softies and have abandoned our planned walk.

So glad we came through Wroxham when we did this morning, I'd hate to have to take the roof down in this. 

58 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Would be nice to meet, but the rain has really set in. We are softies and have abandoned our planned walk.

What?  No fudge?  Helen, fudge is almost obligatory when there.  Surely a little rain isn’t going to prevent a visit to the fudge lady?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kpnut said:

I nearly ended up at Nestishead too Helen, I’m just round the corner at Gays Staithe. Depending on the rain I might come and say hello later, but looks like it’s a bit set in now. 

Thanks very much for coming over Neatishead Kate. It was lovely to meet you. I hope you got back to Gaye's Staithe before the heavens opened!

Well, I did time it a bit wrong didn’t I? Plenty of trees along the lane to shelter under, but trousers slightly more than damp and dry dog towel day it certainly is not!

Very lovely to meet you and family and beautiful Seren, hope to see you again soon now you’re based ‘up north’. 

Enjoy the rest of your trip, suns due out again tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 18:15, Lulu said:

Well done Helen! I’m not sure I’ll ever get enough confidence to do that :( 

I hope to get the confidence one day, but at the moment I'm happy to pay the bridge pilot who I think is well worth it.Well done though M S. for doing both ways.

On 11/05/2022 at 12:36, YnysMon said:

We are now sitting in yet another White Horse ...the Neatishead one. Harry is quaffing a pint of that whisky cask cider that the Admiral likes so much. Harry does too. 

I hope it didn't have the same effect on Harry as it does with The Admiral, Helen?   :default_biggrin:

Enjoying your tale and photos as always!

Might be tempted to do write another tale for our trip in July

43 minutes ago, tim said:

I hope it didn't have the same effect on Harry as it does with The Admiral, Helen?   :default_biggrin:

Enjoying your tale and photos as always!

Might be tempted to do write another tale for our trip in July

Harry confined himself to a pint fortunately. That stuff is probably stronger than it tastes!

Please do post a tale, I love reading what others have got up to on their Broads holidays.

• Like 1

We returned to our new home mooring late afternoon yesterday. Our turnaround day has switched to a Friday, which suits Graham and I as we always went home Friday anyway. Brooms fuel kiosk hours and their prioritisation of their hire fleet effectively meant that MS had to have a re-fuel and pump-out by 4pm on a Friday anyway, so making the handover day officially a Friday will give us a full day on Saturdays. 

We've had a lovely week with only one rainy day. Our best May week on the Broads so far, weather wise. 

• Like 5

Glad you had a lovely break Helen.  Your trip up to Coltishall has definitely made me want to go (pilot assisted though!). The last time I was the other side of Wroxham bridge was back in the early 90’s I think when hiring a connoisseur. Now you are north, hopefully our paths/rivers will cross at some point :) 

On 10/05/2022 at 09:06, YnysMon said:

We spent the night in our new Marina and were up early again this morning. Currently moored up on the BA moorings at Potter H, waiting for the rain to ease off before visiting Latham's. We are thinking of going up to Coltishall later, low tide at Wroxham not being until mid afternoon.

Photo of us moored at Horning yesterday evening, and a rather more gloomy looking one from this  morning.

IMG_20220509_153114785_HDR.thumb.jpg.27611df160c35add38a93f1125b0e7b0.jpg

Looks like your new mooring is near us, we are further down the pontoon, third boat from the end. It's a lovely marina.

• Like 1

Back in June last year Peter (Grendel) posted here a suggestion to look out for ‘The Death or Glory’ outside the Belaugh boatyard (ref to Arthur Ransome’s Coot Club). This year as we passed we noticed a boat called ‘Come Along’. (A tug referenced in the same book.)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I posted about the first day of this trip on my normal thread 

When I woke this morning (just before 5) I checked when the Aweigh App thought low water would be at Yarmouth this morning, and was a bit alarmed to see it was an hour and a quarter earlier than the tide table I had printed off. I woke Graham and we set off, trying not to disturb the peace and quiet. In fact it took us about half an hour to reach the Bure as we were trying to be mindful of the boats moored along Fleet Dyke. As soon as we spotted a suitable bank we stopped, with Alec holding the ropes whilst Graham looked after Seren. 

It was about 8.30 by the time we were approaching the Yacht Station and there was just under 8' showing on the first guage, 7'9" on the second and 7'6" on the final one. As we approached the yellow post we could see the tide flowing in at a great pace, so I suspect the Aweigh App was pretty accurate. 

IMG_20220716_085056309.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I like the Aweigh app. Do you know if it has real time updates about tides or is it just that it has a different opinion in the first place?

Not sure to be honest.  The lads at the Yarmouth Yacht Station usually post tide times daily on Facebook and to be honest, I’d go by those.  They’re there and know the tides and times better than anyone I would imagine.  When we crossed last Sunday, all three times were different (Yacht Station published, Broads.org website and Aweigh app).  We followed the yacht station ones and they were spot on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1