Fuel Prices

Microbe

Hi all, I note that the fuel prices section has not been updated for a little while. I have just received an invoice for fuel and thought I would share for you all:

Norfolk Yacht Agency (Brundall) date 16/04/2021, 60/40 split diesel, £1.24 per litre.

I'll be out and about from 23rd May and would appreciate knowing the experience of others.

Cheers for now.

Boulters Horning 95p per litre but you have to ring first and book as space is at a premium. Simpsons Stalham £1.35 per litre. 

Hmmmm, £1:35 per litre with a 60/40 split, meaning of course that 60% is taxed at road going rates and 40% is left for the heating.

I noticed this evening on my way home that road going white diesel 100% taxed is currently at £1:30 per litre - ish

There's some serious profit making going on somewhere

Griff

• Like 1

I expect a marina gets through a lot less fuel than a roadside garage but still has the same insurance loading so not surprising they are a good deal more expensive, they also don't have competition 5 minutes down the river.

The other thing I like about Boulters is that they have diesel bug additive already in the fuel, do other suppliers do the same? Also they have a loyalty card for pump out, get 3 stamps at £12 per empty and the fourth one is free so to speak, so 12x3÷4 works out at £9 per pump out (that's for a single, not sure how doubles work)

Sutton Staithe yard do a similar loyalty scheme with their pump outs too, and their diesel prices are more sensible compared to the bigger yards although not been since October last year so cannot report on up to date prices

They are also very handy for us being within 20 mins from our home berth

Griff

I just called in at southgates for a tank top up, as Water rail only has a little tank, £35 to fill from about 1/3 tank (as far as I could see from the dipstick), I didnt ask about cost per litre, they didnt ask about 60/40 split, which I shouldnt get as she doesnt have heating, so my assumption is they charged me for 100% propulsion (they do know the boat).to be honest, I think my volvo has a bigger tank than water Rail does.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I just called in at southgates for a tank top up, as Water rail only has a little tank, £35 to fill from about 1/3 tank (as far as I could see from the dipstick), I didnt ask about cost per litre, they didnt ask about 60/40 split, which I shouldnt get as she doesnt have heating, so my assumption is they charged me for 100% propulsion (they do know the boat).to be honest, I think my volvo has a bigger tank than water Rail does.

You don't have to have heating to claim domestic use on your fuel. Your engine is also generating your electricity and providing hot water. These are also domestic use.

Our new van will certainly have a bigger tank than Water Rail :default_laugh:

At 90 litres it feels like filling the boat up at the petrol station :default_blink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

no hot water either, so just charging the battery for the fridge.

You've only got a fridge because I couldn't find any boatyards with capacity for exchange ice blocks for the o-so-cool cabinet :default_biggrin:

I dunno.. these youngsters and their new fangled ideas.... :default_coat:

• Haha 3

Thanks all for your responses.

I'll be up at Sutton Staithe at the end of the month, so I'll haunt Rob for a pump out and a top up - that's assuming the Richardson's boats have not taken all the moorings!

I'm on a Horizon 35 called Summer breeze (H814 formerly Tranquil Freedom), give us a wave when you spot us.

Bye for now!

Microbe

(Thank goodness I'm not working in NHS labs these days)

• Like 1