Keeping Active On Boat's

Andrewcook

I would like to ask any forum Members if ever having a Knee Replacement or Hip Replacement or may be both at some stage of our lives and still be able to participate in any Boating Activities' on Boat's i.e. getting on and off and other's things with out not being held back on any Boating Activities that we like to do.  

Sold my boat as i was having knee replacement. op, had to wait 6 months for op but missed boating so much bought another 10 weeks after first op and got on and off ok. Main thing with knee replacement is to keep bending it and you wii be ok.

Hi Andrew yes i have had a knee replacement back to normal only difference is the loss of sensation in the knee and need to use a pad when kneeling down( which if i had done when working/kneeling on concrete i wouldn't have needed one) and i am unsure about jumping, stepping off no problem climbing etc no problem   now awaiting other knee was booked for february year before last but cancelled at last moment because of covid  one thing i will add you must push yourself with exercising it early and through the pain barrier if you want full use to come back i bought a pedal devise that i could pedal while sitting down watching tv  some other people who had theres were still bitching and not trying when i left the weekly rehab exercising course they were there when i started and still there when  left. John 

Kathy had her first TKR over Easter weekend, we came up last Friday to see how she got on getting on and it all went amazingly well. Onto aft deck, over cockpit roaming and down onto stern seat. Caravan step halved the step down into cockpit. No problems getting 2 steps down into the accommodation. We had the first check up today and her consultant reckoned that the slight wobble of an inland boat would be a good thing.

4 hours ago, vanessan said:

Both of my replaced hips are titanium, great until you go through airport security and the alarms go off!

Have a sister with titanium hip and knee to make matters worse she takes capsules of little white homeopathic tablets with her on holiday. We got used to waiting for her to get through security whilst we sat in the bar on the other side.:default_beerchug:

8 hours ago, vanessan said:

Both of my replaced hips are titanium, great until you go through airport security and the alarms go off!

I've a certain amount of ironmongery in my right thigh - I once dropped my keks in Malaga airport to show the "No speeka Ingles" jobsworth the impressive scars where it went in. Got a round of applause from the growing audience behind me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyone who knew Uncle Albert knew that when he was boating he liked a pint, liked his fishing and liked to explore the Broadland landscape. There once was a time that he and his wife hired a boat with his sister and brother in law for two weeks. It was very rare for Uncle Albert to telephone to ask for help with anything, but four days into the holiday I received a telephone call from him requesting I come to Norfolk ASAP.

The holiday had started well enough, but shopping trips into Roys for 'holiday essentials' had gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. The second evening of the holiday and the boat was still moored in the boatyard basin. They had not moved. Uncle Albert's suggestion they go for a pub meal had been pooh poohed as his sister and brother in law were aggressively tea total, vegan and, despite having the shape and dimensions of small bungalows, fitness fanatics. 

Finally they left the boatyard and headed out into the wilds with the sister and brother in law claiming they were 'sea sick' every fifteen minutes. On the third evening, Uncle Albert had found a nice wild mooring and started to tackle up only to discover brother and sister in law had put half of his fishing tackle back into the car and 'free'd' his bait back at the boat yard. Uncle Albert was not happy. He was even unhappier that despite all of the shopping trips there was no beer or alcohol of any description on board the boat. The brother and sister in law produced several  jigsaw puzzles of immense size and spent the night inside the boat puzzling.

The following day Uncle Albert headed to Lathems and bought fishing tackle. His Mrs promised she would stock up on beer. Back at the boat and they headed off again for a wild mooring so Uncle Albert could finally get some fishing done. Tackling up, he cast in. As his float hit the water there was a load 'thud' from the boat. This was followed by another and another and another. Thinking something wrong Uncle Albert nipped back to the boat from the bank to discover his Mrs and her sister and brother in law doing star jumps inside the boat.

With not a fish in the vicinity, probably the whole of the northern Broads, Uncle Albert put away his fishing tackle and reached for a beer. He took a swig from the bottle and spat it out. Looking at the bottle it read 'Alcohol FREE'.

My telephone rang.
"Son, come and get me NOW PLEASE!"
I set off for Norfolk at haste and collected Uncle Albert from the pub. Uncle Albert had had enough. He'd packed his belongings into the dinghy they had hired and after making sure the boat was secured and giving his Mrs and the inlaws instructions, leaving them the car keys he'd set sail for the pub.

I dropped Uncle Albert off at home with my fishing tackle. He spent a fantastic holiday fishing and propping up the bar.

The wife and inlaws? Oh, Uncle Albert had first sailed to the boatyard and explained the situation. As a regular customer hiring three or four times a year, the yard erupted in gales of laughter. While a couple of chaps arranged to collect the hire boat and brought it back to the yard the next morning, the yard owner had then taken Uncle Albert to the pub where he joined him for a few drinks. The wife and inlaws did not move the boat from the yard for the rest of their holiday. They did jigsaws, ate lettuce and did star jumps. 

• Haha 8

Poor uncle Albert that's all I can say to be stuck with 2 aggressively tea total vegans on a Broads holiday Plus the wife who then went and bought him non-alcoholic beer, it's a wonder he didn't wrap the mud weight rope round his neck and Jump in 

On 16/05/2021 at 14:39, eddybear said:

Poor uncle Albert that's all I can say to be stuck with 2 aggressively tea total vegans on a Broads holiday Plus the wife who then went and bought him non-alcoholic beer, it's a wonder he didn't wrap the mud weight rope round his neck and Jump in 

It was bad enough being stuck with ONE vegan at our table back at the Friday evening dinner during the 2015 German Gliding Conference in Freudenstadt (nice little town in the Black Forest).

Said voluminour young lady discovered that her colleague had booked the restaurant but the message that a total-veganer had to be fed did not get across (latter lady said that if it was so important the V should have taken care).  Not only did her salad appear with grated cheese on top but all they could conjour up at the last minute was some plain steamed veg.

Thankfully after a while the V left in the proverbial huff & our table of 6 could relax.

3 hours ago, HEM said:

It was bad enough being stuck with ONE vegan at our table back at the Friday evening dinner during the 2015 German Gliding Conference in Freudenstadt (nice little town in the Black Forest).

Said voluminour young lady discovered that her colleague had booked the restaurant but the message that a total-veganer had to be fed did not get across (latter lady said that if it was so important the V should have taken care).  Not only did her salad appear with grated cheese on top but all they could conjour up at the last minute was some plain steamed veg.

Thankfully after a while the V left in the proverbial huff & our table of 6 could relax.

As my dear old Mum would have said (in broad Suffolk) "Best you have bread and pullit then dear!"

• Haha 2