From Monday Next Easing Out Of Lockdown.

So if you can and be safe.Help out pubs, Restaurants,Hotels etc.Boy they need all the help they can.Those in the know have:default_drinks: worked out we all need to drink at least 124 pints each and a packet of crisps.Thats a bit much dont think I can manage  the crisps!:default_winko:

• Like 2

strangely enough, many years ago now, the viking group i used to belong to was banned from a pub for not drinking enough beer, as most of us had to drive home we mostly had soft drinks and quite often food too, the soft drinks were the same price as the beer, so we reckon 10 people on soft drinks with food was quite a sizeable chunk of profitable custom to chuck away on a wednesday night.

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire
19 minutes ago, grendel said:

strangely enough, many years ago now, the viking group i used to belong to was banned from a pub

Strangely enough, a group I belong to got banned from many pubs, many times...but for very different reasons :default_norty:

:default_beerchug:

Guest Jayfire
11 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

So what’s with the Mordor looking avatar Jay? Bit of a change of mood? Thought your previous jogging Homer avatar looked quite jolly.

I'm hot :default_biggrin:

Guest Jayfire
8 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

You know Jay’s postscript? I should learn from that and not ask him silly questions.

:default_hiding:

Ahh Helen, and I did it all for you too.

I felt sure you'd tell me who I look like 😊

I started  this in a light hearted way,but there is a serious point  also.My business like many has been deeply affected,by Covid many of us have lost our jobs,many business gone to the wall.

So pubs,Restaurants, hotels.Along with high streets need support. When you can call into your local say hello and perhaps not 124 pint,but a few will help.

• Like 1

If the weather was more like last spring it would help! I see rain in the forecast again this weekend and still chilly. 

I think it’s really sad that Debenhams closes it’s doors for the last time today after 240 years. I doubt that Covid alone has caused that one. But no amount of furlough could save it. More empty stores on our high streets and a business we won’t get back. 

• Like 1

Agree Jean.Sadly the high Street has suffered for many years and Covid has speeded  that up.My thoughts on this is big stores  in the high Street need to share with others.Big single shops are perhaps a thing of the past.I don't think online only is the way forward.A mix of online and in shop,smaller units.Make it interesting. Having been to Berlin in recent  years the big name stores there offer a better mix.From a food point  of view in those stores,are light years in front on us.

Covid alone has not put many of the pubs in Cairo Street either. The "Boozer" has been dying for yonks with hundreds if not in the thousands closing year on year.

24 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . I think it’s really sad that Debenhams closes it’s doors for the last time today after 240 years. I doubt that Covid alone has caused that one. But no amount of furlough could save it. More empty stores on our high streets and a business we won’t get back. 

There can be no doubt that Covid has accelerated the closure of many stores.  Even John Lewis, which has thrived for years, has hit hard times.  Lockdown forced most of us to turn to online shopping and to realise the convenience of having wanted items delivered to your door, instead of travelling to the shops to make the purchase.  There are few things now that I actually go to the shops for, however we haven’t availed ourselves of online grocery shopping despite the pandemic.  Whilst we are both physically able, we felt it best to leave the available slots to those who really needed them.

I wonder what will happen to the shopping malls that sprung up all over the country, like Lakeside, as retail outlets close and smaller retailers are unable to afford the rents charged in such places.  Out of town retail parks had already hit town centres hard and the increase of online marketing will inevitably hit the high street again.  Northampton town centre, close to where we recently moved from, is a shadow of what it used to be.  A small shopping mall was built there about 25 years ago and when I last visited a few months before we moved, there was only one unit occupied in it.

There can be little doubt that our high streets have changed forever.

• Like 2

I'm one of those that enjoys going shopping.It needs however  to be interesting. I enjoy  going to Bluewater.Enjoy whilst there a coffee or a pint and a meal.To many shops have not moved with the times.Think it's possible  for the high Street to survive,to work must be a good mix,smaller units interesting. Lower business rates perhaps.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Covid alone has not put many of the pubs in Cairo Street either. The "Boozer" has been dying for yonks with hundreds if not in the thousands closing year on year.

Add The Ship at Reedham to the list of closures - word on the Quay is that it will not re-open as anticipated however the old Cup Cakes Café seems to be re-opening soon selling fresh food ( Staff wanted for anyone interested)

• Thanks 2

When I lived in Plumstead South East London  in the early seventies. There were pubs on every street corner. Very much the same everywhere. Over the years tastes and habits changed. Covid has added to that.However a well run pub is half way there.We all have our favourites,local to us and the broads.For me a mix of a good feeling,comfort and food.

2 hours ago, Bytheriver said:

Add The Ship at Reedham to the list of closures - word on the Quay is that it will not re-open as anticipated however the old Cup Cakes Café seems to be re-opening soon selling fresh food ( Staff wanted for anyone interested)

Farm shop, Deli and patisserie they are advertising, sounds really good. ‘Cannell’s by the river’ they are called and I wish them every success. 

• Like 1