Continue To November

Andrewcook

I should say not Andrew. Hoseasons (and Richardsons) show no availability for November, except for Broom and NYC boats. They tried to extend the season last year, but it didn't work and  was abandoned. Having said that, certain yards will hire out of season if approached direct, eg, Bridgecraft, Ferry Marina and Herbert Woods and maybe Faircraft.

We briefly looked into hiring in either November or December with Ferry Marina or Brooms, but decided against it. Though there's some spectacular YouTube videos of cold, crisp, clear December days with barely anyone on the Broads. The reality of a probably very wet, very windy, very cold and very dark week afloat put us off. They mostly only seem to hire out the more expensive boats then anyway, so it's still easily over a grand.

Question, whilst I know all these boats have heating on board etc, I think I'm right in saying it can't be left on overnight or unattended. If this is the case, and temperatures dip below freezing outside, it must be bloody cold inside overnight?

As a syndicate boat owner, we would use a oil filled storage heater to leave on all night - hooked up to the electric post. The thing about late autumn cruising, is that the moorings are very quiet, and as such you can be 99% sure you will be able to get an electric hook-up.

• Like 1

A hirer taking boating holidays all year and in all seasons  perhaps should look into a shared ownership boat instead. With the correct precautions they can be very snug as well, whatever the elements are like outside.

Fred

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

I should say not Andrew. Hoseasons (and Richardsons) show no availability for November, except for Broom and NYC boats. They tried to extend the season last year, but it didn't work and  was abandoned. Having said that, certain yards will hire out of season if approached direct, eg, Bridgecraft, Ferry Marina and Herbert Woods and maybe Faircraft.

I don't think that's the case. There were bookings for last November and there were a good few boats out: i photographed a number of them. What killed November hiring in 2020 was the second lockdown. Holidays that had already started were permitted to continue to the end but none that were due to start could commence. 

This a Woods' boat heading back on the 7th November and I know Woods also has at least one other boat out which was due back on the 14th having booked a 2 week break. I have some shots of a Bridgecraft boat returning to base on the 7th Novemeber also. Demand was there; legality wasn't.

homeward bound.jpg

37 minutes ago, 750XL said:

We briefly looked into hiring in either November or December with Ferry Marina or Brooms, but decided against it. Though there's some spectacular YouTube videos of cold, crisp, clear December days with barely anyone on the Broads. The reality of a probably very wet, very windy, very cold and very dark week afloat put us off. They mostly only seem to hire out the more expensive boats then anyway, so it's still easily over a grand.

Question, whilst I know all these boats have heating on board etc, I think I'm right in saying it can't be left on overnight or unattended. If this is the case, and temperatures dip below freezing outside, it must be bloody cold inside overnight?

It is what you make of it. Many's the time I've been afloat over winter and if it's peace and quiet you want (which you will NOT get in Spring or Summer) it's perfect. Yes, short days, but no shorter than being at home. Take a heater, get a shorepower lead and plug in overnight as you're guaranteed to be able to moor by a leccy post. 

26 minutes ago, Oddfellow said:

I don't think that's the case. There were bookings for last November and there were a good few boats out: i photographed a number of them. What killed November hiring in 2020 was the second lockdown. Holidays that had already started were permitted to continue to the end but none that were due to start could commence. 

I thought that's what I said Andy. To clarify: They were available to book last year, right through to early December. All my November bookings (through Hoseasons) were subsequently cancelled, yes as a result of the lockdowns. It doesn't look like they are offering them again, or they would be available to book through Hoseasons or Richardsons. Just as last year, you can probably book November through Herbert Woods, Bridgecraft, Ferry Marina and maybe Faircraft direct.

We loved winter boating on our own boat and would certainly consider hiring in November, December or January.

Even on sub zero nights we never left the heating on overnight. It gets too hot if you do. We instead took an extra blanket.

First person up in the morning stuck the heating on an hour or so before we wanted to get up and we got up to a toasty warm boat.

Only thing to watch is just how low the temperature goes and if the water is likely to freeze. Probably not so much a problem on the Broads with it being tidal but we got caught out a few times on the still waters of the Fossdyke and had to ice break our way back to the marina!

2 hours ago, 750XL said:

Yep a big-ish boat with large windows can get cold inside very easily making having a remote to turn the heating on whilst still in bed a gods send.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Yep a big-ish boat with large windows can get cold inside very easily making having a remote to turn the heating on whilst still in bed a gods send.

Sounds like a godsend, sadly with us it is a quick dash out of bed to turn on the heating, we do however leave an oil filled radiator on in those out of season weeks if required.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

When we are winter cruising which we do often, if it’s a proper cold night then the heating stays on all night, we just turn down the thermostat 

Griff

I was led to believe this is a complete no-no, partly due to the risk of fumes entering the boat and also the noise it produces.

I would, of course, love to be corrected 

17 minutes ago, 750XL said:

I was led to believe this is a complete no-no, partly due to the risk of fumes entering the boat and also the noise it produces.

I think the difference here is that Griff probably installed all the heating components on his boat, and knows it's weaknesses. On a hire boat, you're in someone elses hands. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Sounds like a godsend, sadly with us it is a quick dash out of bed to turn on the heating, we do however leave an oil filled radiator on in those out of season weeks if required.

We have an app for the heating and hot water on the van so that it can be controlled remotely. No need to get out of bed now to turn the heating on :default_biggrin:

It is also gas heating which is so much quieter than the diesel heating on the boat was. No more noisy fuel pump ticking away.

I think that's the biggest issue people have with the warm air systems, they can make a lot of noise.

When I was in syndicate, I could never understand why people had such a problem with running the 5KW diesel system. This had got to the extent where people had tried to use oil rads etc on the inverter (no, I have no idea what thought process led to that being a good idea, either) and it kind of dawned on me that people must not like the fan noise of the diesel system. The fuel pump is usually fairly quiet in comparison.

We'll forget the fact that it was much more powerful and using relatively little battery power, as the person plugging an oil rad in to an inverter clearly has no technical knowledge anyway.

I do wonder why hydronic systems aren't more common on boats, either with an LPG or Diesel boiler and then a mixture of fin and matrix radiators. They don't make much noise and would prevent engines being run early/late for hot water.

And I know they are hated on the Broads (but not the canals, where they're seen as a luxury) but a diesel-fired stove is quiet and kicks out loads of heat.

Decent heating (and a lack of insulation) is the real enemy of winter boating.

• Like 1

Anyone even thinking about using a diesel system should invest in a battery powered CO detector. After our fire we religiously keep the batteries fresh, and yes we have run it overnight but very infrequently. Boats in sub zero are like tents, surprisingly warm. Don’t forget you’re  sitting in a medium that unless it’s exceptional will not drop below 4 degrees.

it’s not nearly as chilly as you might think 

• Like 2

Noise - I’ve fitted a silencer, when running overnight on a low setting the fan is ticking over so noise is virtually not heard

we have two co sensors

i fitted the low noise diesel pump option and yes I installed the whole system. We have been using both the former Mikuni and present Planar units overnight when required over the past fourteen years with no problems. Battery drain is negligible 

Griff

Absolutely love winter on our boat.

Stunning morning light when cruising and so peaceful and quiet.

We use an oil filled radiator when on shore power and just use the diesel fired heating when on the move.

We also use those 'stones' you heat up in the microwave and then put in the bed.....Stay warm all through the night and much safer than water bottles .