Rationing

Andrewcook

As it's been seen TV food shelves  are running low Including MC Donalds Milk Shakes and do we need to go back to the pre War day's on having rationing books and going on the Broads would not be easy getting the food or Fresh Veg we need I don't like using tin food such as Spam or Mushy Peas. 

I remember my mum saying that just after the war, they took their ration book with them on holiday whilst boating on the broads, when presenting it to the local shop keepers only to be told" madame we dont bother with any of that here, how much would you like?"Coming from south east London my parents couldnt believe it and were more than pleasantly surprised!

• Like 1

Hi Old Berkshire Boy well theses    big convenience stores wants HGV Drivers yet you are dead right to using7.5 Ton Vans as it's a bit dearer transporting the distribution around then using the Six wheeler lorry's but this will help the Employment rate quickly I hope? 

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

As it's been seen TV food shelves  are running low Including MC Donalds Milk Shakes and do we need to go back to the pre War day's on having rationing books and going on the Broads would not be easy getting the food or Fresh Veg we need I don't like using tin food such as Spam or Mushy Peas. 

No.

As above. The shortage is with drivers. If you do not have enough drivers you are not going to fill the trucks you do have with high volume or high weight low value items.

We don't have the mainland European drivers anymore a large proportion of whom did not have to pay to become class 1 or 2 drivers because their home country still had national service and they got their qualifications in the army until recently.1304606885_Screenshot_20210828-115719_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.9c74f2d022ccfaced98491e488924499.jpg1139419925_Screenshot_20210828-115738_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.f4ffaf6376cfdcf39b2fbcd58e6c89f6.jpg1251894874_Screenshot_20210828-115755_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.534c3256007d33961a017e94ea12150d.jpg

well from personal experience traipsing around the shops this morning, the only shortage I saw was the expensive brand of lightweight cat litter, more than adequately compensated for by a plentiful supply of the cheaper heavier brand, other than that, in 3 different supermarkets the shelves were full as usual.

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

No need for ration books, supermarkets are getting aound the HGV drivers problem by buying 7.5 ton vans.

Even 7.5t vehicles are now subject to LGV (HGV) licensing requirements, unless you have the entitlement on your licence.  They were reclassified several years ago.

The other issue is payload.  A 7.5t vehicle equipped with a tail-lift will probably carry about 2.75 tonnes, so legally could only carry 2 pallets of baked beans or say Coca Cola, whereas an artic will carry 26 pallets.  This will not solve the problem, it’s merely a knee-jerk reaction to an issue which has been evident to those in the industry for several years.

During the ten years working in the logistics industry, prior to my retirement, I only knew 2 school leavers who wanted to become truck drivers.  That type of employment is not encouraged by our school system, where a university education is promoted as the way forward to achieving a good career and high earnings.  Until there is a realisation that more mundane jobs within the building and logistics industries are essential, this situation is unlikely to get better.

The government are talking about extending drivers working hours and introducing longer vehicles, but neither of these are going to encourage people to enter the profession, where it is already legal to work up to 84 hours a week, be in control of a vehicle with a gross maximum weight of 44 tonnes and follow very strict road traffic regulations where a momentary lapse of concentration could result in the loss of your liberty.

They’ve announced that they will be looking to fill the vacancies with the UK’s labour force.  Good luck with that one!

• Like 3

It seems to be hit and miss and, as Coryton said, items randomly running out. I was in our local (large) Tesco supermarket last week surprised to find no fresh milk whatsoever. Absolutely nothing, nada. No such problem this week, seems to be frozen peas and other frozen veg in short supply at present. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It seems to be hit and miss and, as Coryton said, items randomly running out. I was in our local (large) Tesco supermarket last week surprised to find no fresh milk whatsoever. Absolutely nothing, nada. No such problem this week, seems to be frozen peas and other frozen veg in short supply at present. 

I don’t like to mention the word, but Christmas is coming and the extra demands placed on the logistics industry during the lead up to the festive season will make any shortages become even more evident as it approaches.

Supermarket RDCs used to hire in additional resources (trucks, trailers and drivers) on thirteen week contracts around this time of the year to cope with the demand.  They will probably be able to hire trucks and trailers, but there’s no way that there will be drivers to man them.

The moral of the story here is to buy your festive treats early this year, because you may otherwise be disappointed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of scaremongering, but this situation has been developing over a number of years and ignored by those with the capacity to do anything about it.  Brexit and the lack of drivers from EU countries has compounded an already bad situation and will impact all of us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Even 7.5t vehicles are now subject to LGV (HGV) licensing requirements, unless you have the entitlement on your licence.  They were reclassified several years ago.

The other issue is payload.  A 7.5t vehicle equipped with a tail-lift will probably carry about 2.75 tonnes, so legally could only carry 2 pallets of baked beans or say Coca Cola, whereas an artic will carry 26 pallets.  This will not solve the problem, it’s merely a knee-jerk reaction to an issue which has been evident to those in the industry for several years.

Just for clarity in no way ,shape or form was I saying the problem was solved by using the smaller trucks but every little helps (excuse the pun).

• Like 1

I know a fair few truckers (it's hard not to in Felixstowe),  they reckon its poetic justice that Macdonalds have run out of stuff. During the lockdowns when MacDs drivethroughs were the only food outlets open they were instructed not to  serve truckers who walked up to the window having parked their rigs elsewhere, not being able to get under the canopy. 

• Like 5

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of scaremongering, but this situation has been developing over a number of years and ignored by those with the capacity to do anything about it.  Brexit and the lack of drivers from EU countries has compounded an already bad situation and will impact all of us.

I’ve heard this time and time again over the last few weeks. Listening to Jeremy Vine last week sometime, a chap phoned in who had trained as an HGV driver. Passed all his exams or whatever is required but he can’t get a job because he can’t get insured due to lack of experience. Surely this can’t apply to all new recruits?

I don’t like to mention the word, but Christmas is coming and the extra demands placed on the logistics industry during the lead up to the festive season will make any shortages become even more evident as it approaches.

This is also being quoted by the ‘experts’ on tv and radio so it looks as if :default_xmas6: needs to be planned and purchased as soon as in order to avoid problems down the line. Anyway, it’s time for the :default_xmas6: displays to appear in Roy’s and Latham’s! 

17 minutes ago, unclemike said:

seems that mixers are in short supply all over, no peppermint cordial and no bitter lemon round here

Tonic has been in short supply round this way (south east) and in Tesco’s Stalham for a while. Good job I prefer my gin neat! :default_smile:

• Haha 1

On 28/08/2021 at 13:12, Mouldy said:

Doesn't it depend when you got your license? I think that if you were entitled to drive them then you still are, but if you got your license after the rules changed then you need an extra entitlement.

• Like 1