Your Number Is Up!

Vaughan

I have just been on the phone with an old friend of mine who attended Barton Regatta.

He tells me that a BA ranger was patrolling in his launch, issuing warnings to all those who were not displaying Broads registration numbers on their paddle boards. 

His attitude was described by those who saw it, as Little a dictator.

I very much hope hope that someone, somewhere, was joking????

The BA want a toll & Registration for all paddle boards, I think from memory it’s 28 pounds.

people are far better off joining the British Canoe Union for a little more money, and then have the right to paddle on any of the uk rivers etc. Including the broads.

I personally don’t understand the cost for a paddle board it doesn’t add up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tobster said:

people are far better off joining the British Canoe Union for a little more money, and then have the right to paddle on any of the uk rivers etc. Including the broads.

Quite correct , and the obvious sensible choice.

The problem however , as I’m led to believe, is that you get issues with a membership card and not a means of displaying such on your canoe or paddle board which would make a lot more sense 

If the BA are going enforce this on the paddle boards then they will need to come up with a way of displaying the reg on an inflatable paddle board, that won’t simply fall off. ( current situation)

I’m not so confident they will because they couldn’t supply tax disc’s properly a few years ago.

with the very low impact paddle boards and Kayaks have the toll should be  set at around 5 pounds at the most.

just my opinion 

Let’s hope they come down here to Thorpe River Green. We get loads down here plus inflatable canoes. 
The registration mark could be done with an armband with a waterproof pocket for the mark or canoe union card. If they insist on the reg being on the board then a plastic reg plate on a bungee could be used.

Just my thoughts, I’m there will be others with better ideas. 

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 1

Well the BA can continue on as is, issuing reg stickers that fall off, to I guess about 10% that toll there paddle boards or Kayaks & have the rangers waste there valuable time chasing.

or as mentioned before issue a waterproof tag or the like for a greatly reduced cost and receive a lot more tolls revenue, as a great deal more would toll there craft if the cost was reasonable. I’m sure this would out weigh the administrative costs.

• Like 1

Just write the number somewhere  in permanent marker?

I have two paddle boards and a canoe, all registered and tolled with the BA. I have memorised the paddle boards numbers and have been asked for them on occasion. 

Myself and young Tobster disagree on the BCU membership. Whilst I could run with a BCU card anywhere in the country, my BCU membership fee can also be spent anywhere in the country. I pay the BA tolls because I want the broads to be maintained. (Well I live in hope...)

• Like 4

The BA will receive a % of money from the government under the right to paddle scheme.

it’s also worth noting that BCU is the person not the craft, so if like me you have more than one you are covered whichever one you are using.

the other benefit to BCU is the liability Insurance that comes with BCU.

• Like 1

The paddlers could raft up and put a proposal to the BA to suggest, eg, they have a number on their paddle blade instead to wave at the inspector. I seem to recall Traditional broads classes had a similar debate and can’t think that I’ve seen reg nrs on half decker classes eg. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tobster said:

it’s also worth noting that BCU is the person not the craft, so if like me you have more than one you are covered whichever one you are using.

Oh, that would be good for us as we own 5 boats (4 in the water) and only use one at a time. 

22 minutes ago, Islander said:

Oh, that would be good for us as we own 5 boats (4 in the water) and only use one at a time. 

You would have to check with the BA as 4 in the water may not be covered with BCU.

if only 1 put in at any given time, then they would be covered.

10 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have just been on the phone with an old friend of mine who attended Barton Regatta.

He tells me that a BA ranger was patrolling in his launch, issuing warnings to all those who were not displaying Broads registration numbers on their paddle boards. 

His attitude was described by those who saw it, as Little a dictator.

I very much hope hope that someone, somewhere, was joking????

I think I know what Vaughan is referring to. It's not so much that paddle boards should have some form of tolling whether BA or BCU but the manner in which it was being enforced.

My last visit to Barton Regatta was 2019 but every recent Barton I've attended the BA launch appears and goes round all the boats to check in my opinion in an unnecessary way! They are primarily checking the Wroxham Broad boats including all the dinghies, and accompanying flotsam (when kept at Wroxham they are not tolled) to check they have paid up for visitors toll.

In my mind it's just over zealous. I am sure some of you will disagree. I would prefer they were checking for speeding boats on the Ant!

• Like 4

I was just thinking how much cheaper it would be if the BA only charged us only when we used one of our boats but that’s never going to happen. Let’s hope they do something worthwhile with the £900 toll fee I paid this year.

I do hope they catch-up with a lot of the casual sup and inflatables that appear here evenings and weekends.

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

The rangers seem to be having a purge on numbers at the moment. I was quizzed on Saturday at Ranworth by one who couldn't see my stern number. In fact it is fairly close to the waterline and impossible to see when the boat is moored stern-on, which it was. I think he went away shaking his head.