Broad Mooring Charge?

Keebz

I’ve seen on another social that there will be a charge to drop your weight on malthouse broad and salhouse next season, they used to charge on salhouse and we used to pay it but I was told by to boat yard owners if your on your weight they haven’t really got rite to ask you to pay if this is the case it’s two more places I won’t moor, i stress I have no problem at all in being charged for mooring with facilities but for swinging on your mud weight I’m not sure it’s worth it think I’d rather wild moor I’ll probably get shouted down now but when you pay the river license to ba and there reducing there services/facilities it’s the usual private owner frustration!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

If this is true it is very bad news and also sad to see that cruising on the northern Broads is being continually affected by profiteering.  Some might call it "killing the golden goose".

Both Salhouse and Malthouse Broads are on private land but they are tidal; so the landowner owns the bottom of the broad but not the water in it.  So you are allowed to cruise over the broad but if you drop a mud weight, you are on the landowner's land!

In the old days the lease on Malthouse Broad and the staithe was held by Blakes, so no problem.  The lease on the staithe is now with the BA but I don't know if they also lease the broad.  Presumably not, by the sound of it!

• Like 1

My old grandfather, (all grandfather's are old.........I'm a grandfather) told me that there is an ancient statute bound in the history of time, in days of old when boatmen were bold, you were allowed to anchor in tidal water for one full turn of the tide. Anywhere. Free of charge. Makes sense dunt it if you were under sail and the wind dropped. This statute was created before people even knew about engines. It applied to all craft,  why would anybody change it ?

Even today some of the iconic Hunter craft do not have engines, just a quant. 

No wind, after sunset, a mist descending, a murky night ahead, no lights quanting to a refuge, a safe mooring for protection against marauding private night cruisers.

I wud tell im to sling his ook i wunt sling mine, wus he a goin to do about it?

Old Wussername 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, andyg said:

My memory is probably playing tricks here. But I'm sure back in the 70s on salhouse you had a guy going round in a dinghy with an outboard on it,collecting mooring fees. I'm sure thats correct. 

Dont know about 70s but they tried it in the late 80s early 90s and when challenged said it was for the lifeboat fund also some youngsters about 10 or 12 years ago that didn't last long.

Fred

34 minutes ago, andyg said:

My memory is probably playing tricks here. But I'm sure back in the 70s on salhouse you had a guy going round in a dinghy with an outboard on it,collecting mooring fees. I'm sure thats correct. 

I remember this in the eighties 

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Both Salhouse and Malthouse Broads are on private land but they are tidal; so the landowner owns the bottom of the broad but not the water in it.  So you are allowed to cruise over the broad but if you drop a mud weight, you are on the landowner's land!

Two questions:

Does that mean that making a charge for mudweighting is legal and enforceable?

Are Salhouse and Malthouse under the same ownership?

I think Marshman could answer the second question better than I.

When Black Horse Broad was re-opened (forcibly) by Herbert Woods and Co, because it is tidal, the rule was that you could cruise around it but not moor anywhere or drop a mud weight.  Even though there is an old staithe, which leads up to where the Black Horse pub was.

Wroxham Broad is private because in those days it was not tidal.  It is leased from the Trafford estate by the NBYC, who allow access and mooring by mud weight but used to charge for it.  I have heard they normally don't bother any more.

Cockshoot dyke and broad were leased by Blakes, until it was closed for a very successful mud pumping experiment but unfortunately never re-opened.  Malthouse Broad also was leased by Blakes.  Ranworth Inner Broad should technically be open as it is tidal, but who is going to enforce it?  Herbert Woods and Co are no longer with us.

I think what it boils down to is that all these ancient rights have had to be fought for, at some time in the past.  Maybe this means we should continue to fight for them now?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Two questions:

Does that mean that making a charge for mudweighting is legal and enforceable?

Are Salhouse and Malthouse under the same ownership?

Yes by members of the Cator family with pretty much everything inbetween, this includes Horning village marina, Woodbastwick to Cockshoot, Southgates and now Ferry Marina.

I had a lot of respect for Charles, sadly since his passing there is a totally different emphasis on their holdings including what happened with the moorings at  Percys Island and Woodbastwick, 

Fred

Horning 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing about tidal rights, is it only applies to natural waters, before the rediscovery that the broads were not natural , that thought was used to keep various waters open. 

But we now know the broads are not natural. So legally the land owner of a broad has total rights to close it off.... UNLESS Some rights are otherwise granted. Such as access to a staithe, or say Barton broad where the river was diverted through the broad. Access to a staithe, does not give the rights to mudweight.

Sutton ( originally called Stalham broad), apart from the fact it could do with being reopened into its original broad size, it's now just really a wider bit of river. Yes rights of access.

Bridge broad, not sure who actually owns it but access is allowed.

Wroxham broad, no rights, never been a staithe, no reason for any one to use it. NBYC hire it from Trafford estates and have total rights.

Salhouse broad, ex gravel pit. As far as I know no staithe  and no rights to use it but no objection from the owners. In the distant past there was a charge to mudweight, various chancers have extracted money since . What the current position for mudweight charging is I don't know.

Hoveton Great Broad and associated minor connections , closed off by the Blofield family, no staithe, but reports are it was a wherry short cut, I believe there's a photo of a wherry on the broad, so closure of the broad is doubted legally.

Hoveton little Broad / Black Horse Broad the wherry men used to moor in the north east corner to walk up to the black horse pub without objection. So some rights have been earned 

Cockshoot broad, no staithe no reason to use it so doubtful we'll ever get access again.

Ranworth Broad, no staithe but is it really part of malthouse broad? Should there be rights to navigate?

Malthouse broad has a staithe therefore rights to navigate.

South Walsham  broad, the Weirs,  well there is a staithe in the Weirs area so a right to navigate, but does that apply to the main part of South Walsham broad?

Hickling broad, and associated open waters to get there, there are  staithes and there must have been a waterway through it so yes rights to navigate.

Horsey Broad, access to Horsey staithe and Waxham cut which once led to a brickworks, so yes rights to navigate whatever the national trust say.

Trinity broads, I believe there was once wherry access to the broads, and that it's still possible by canoe, but I can't see the right of access ever being restored.

Southern broads I don't know, and I've missed out some bits of the northern broads. 

I'm sure others can add to this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 18/09/2021 at 21:28, andyg said:

Yes I clearly remember that too