Just Back From A Week Up North, Now Planning The Next Visit.......

Some more advice required please....

Just back from our 2nd week this year on the Northern Broads, the tide times were bad for us so we couldn't get South unfortunately.... but, we have booked for May next year and will be definitely going South.... you have already helped me by suggesting places to eat, stop etc but can you help me re the bridges and any clearance issues I need to be aware of?

For example I know for the Northern rivers that Wroxham and Potter are not accessible for us and we need to be careful at Ludham, but I have very little understanding of the South (except for Great Yarmouth) when it come to which bits of the rivers we will and won't be able to navigate, we are thinking of staying South for about 3-4 days with the hope of seeing most of what we are able to (we like to cruise a lot at a slow pace and will have lots of daylight hours!)....

Any named bridges or areas we need to be careful with would be appreciated, I will then do some research..... boat height will be 8ft 4ins

Thanks in advance.....!

You might just squeeze under Beccles at low water but I wouldn't recommend it with an aircraft of 8 foot 4 as you'd have to wait until absolute low water to get back. St Olaves will need care but you may have a small window either side of low water. I think at Norwich you'll have a bit more flexibility.

At 8'4" you should get under st.olaves bridge below half tide (there's gauges either side) no problem, you won't need reedham bridge to open at any time, always look to see which way the tide is running and go past and turn if needed so you moor into the flow as you will have much better control at lower speed.

The two Thorpe Bridges have a clearance of 1.83m at high tide, but getting under them gets you to the Rushcutters pub and a few more half decent ones within walking distance. We ate at the Oaklands the other night (opposite the Rushcutters) and they’ve really raised their game food wise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BelgianExile said:

The two Thorpe Bridges have a clearance of 1.83m at high tide, but getting under them gets you to the Rushcutters pub and a few more half decent ones within walking distance. We ate at the Oaklands the other night (opposite the Rushcutters) and they’ve really raised their game food wise.

If you want to visit any of the pubs in Thorpe, moor at the Commissioners Cut and walk.  It’s not far and you wont be restricted by water levels.

The only bridge at Norwich that may cause an issue is Trowse rail bridge, but you should get through at any time other than high water.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t chance going under Thorpe bridges. If you are coming towards Norwich, try to moor in the Commissioners cut which is on the right just downstream from the bridges. If you cross over the railway bridge just behind the mooring, go up to the traffic lights and turn left, the Rushcutters are up the road on your left Oakland’s is on your right and the Town House is further up on your left. You can also get a bus into Norwich from Thorpe Green.

• Like 2

I am a bit nervous about it, I will be taking extra care at St Olaves in particular now after seeing the latest hire boat stuck under there on youtube, I am glad I wasn't hiring that the week after them.....

Anyway, I will see what the tides and weather are like when we arrive in May, it's a long way away and if I have to stay North either because of high tides or winds then it's hardly a disaster is it :default_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, 81011 said:

I am a bit nervous about it, I will be taking extra care at St Olaves in particular now after seeing the latest hire boat stuck under there on youtube, I am glad I wasn't hiring that the week after them.....

Anyway, I will see what the tides and weather are like when we arrive in May, it's a long way away and if I have to stay North either because of high tides or winds then it's hardly a disaster is it :default_biggrin:

It’ll be much easier to go south in May, as you have more daylight hours.  Not only that, but as long as you cross Breydon at the optimum time, St Olaves shouldn’t be an issue.  Failing that, cruise The Yare.  There are some good moorings and pubs for overnight stops and a visit to Norwich by river gives a very different perspective to the city, although I wouldn’t overnight there.

Im sure you’ll be fine.