Just A Heads Up- Boat Damaged At Neatishead

grendel

As others have said, this incident of vandalism might be unconnected to the fishermen who frequent Neatishead. However, as I reported in my holiday tale from November, we felt very intimidated trying to moor at there, simply from the determination of the fishermen there at the time not to budge one inch. They had keep nets too. Although we didn’t experience any aggressiveness we felt sufficiently intimidated to be wary of mooring at Neatishead in future during the fishing season.

Although it’s rather late in the day, I am considering contacting the BA to report our experience. If enough of us boaters complain when we experience lack of consideration from members of the fishing community at Neatishead then maybe the BA will either monitor the situation more closely or reconsider allowing fishing there. 

• Like 5

Just a few observations:

There is a fine line between speculation and accusation. Accusation could lead to a nasty legal situation so we should all tread carefully.

Apart from my recent thread regarding starting fishing again, just about every thread regarding fishing on this forum would suggest to me that we as a forum, are very supportive of fishing on the Broads.

It would be interesting to see if this incident has been reported on any fishing forum.

It sounds like we could do with a webcam at Neatishead. We could also do with more webcams generally.

If the boat owners feel intimidated, the chances are that any witnesses would also be.

You would like to think that the local fishermen would see it as being in their interest to catch the person/persons responsible.

• Like 5

3 points - one observation, One bad encounter and to balance it out, good ones too  

a paintball gun would make that sort of mess, shot from anywhere, even over a fence/hedge  

my friend got threatened with being thrown in the water at Womack by a fisherman when I asked him to move as he was in the only mooring left. She had walked round from the pump out to the opposite corner so was standing too close to the man involved for my liking. I held just off the mooring while we waited - for over 20 minutes - to be told we had ruined his day, again with choice language. It was my friends 60th birthday so same applied to her I’m afraid. I think like Ynys Mon I might ring the BA and report it, didn’t think at the time. 

In my experience, there’s always fishermen at end of neatishead and I usually share a bit of friendly banter with them as I try and reverse in. Never had a problem, but will avoid it this trip. 

Never had a problem, but will avoid it this trip. 

Some other boaters have said the same which is so wrong and is giving in to intimidation, when it is your legal right :default_sad: but I do understand why you would make this decision.

If this attitude of the small number of Anglers at Neatishead is allowed unchecked, then we might as well ask the Broads Authority to amend their sign or put up a new one stating no berthing by boats from say beginning of November through to March 15th and be done with it

Griff

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Fair enough, you saw the damage at close quarters. 
Odd behaviour indeed to carry a tin of paint around on the off chance someone upsets you!

ill happily join you all for a social night to fill up the staithe, as long as no one laughs at my attempts at mooring. 
My heart goes out to the owners, boating ownership is worrying enough without wilful damage in the mix. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Never had a problem, but will avoid it this trip. 

Some other boaters have said the same which is so wrong and is giving in to intimidation, when it is your legal right :default_sad: but I do understand why you would make this decision.

If this attitude of the small number of Anglers at Neatishead is allowed unchecked, then we might as well ask the Broads Authority to amend their sign or put up a new one stating no berthing by boats from say beginning of November through to March 15th and be done with it

Griff

I fully support your actions Griff and I certainly don't see it as an aggressive action, but I balanced response to an horrendous incident.

I recall when I was a uniform PC in Cheetham Hill, Manchester around 1995 and got a call to attend the Fairy Lane Estate (you can have a guess what that was like!) In the early hours of the morning due to a vehicle being stripped.

I was with my colleague Don Price at the time and as we drove into the estate and approached Stapenhill Drive where the report was that the vehicle was located I was driving the "panda" and noted the street was pitch black as all the street lights were out and at the bottom of the cul-de-sac we saw a car on blocks with no wheel's

We drove down the cul-de-sac towards the vehicle and the whole street came alive with bricks, bottles and firebombs raining down on our car as it was a trap to target us 

We managed to get out OK and the local youths painted "Police No Go Zone" in large letters across the road.

The next week Don and I would park our panda next to the graffiti, with the windows wound down as we spent the week doing paperwork in the panda parked on Stapenhill Drive, chatting to locals, many of which were extremely supportive and wanted someone to stand up against the thugs who spoiled it for the majority

It worked, the graffiti was cleaned by the council and the police were never targeted again on that estate!

I like to think we brought some good to a bad situation

Sometimes, doing something.....has to be done, to not only send the right message, but to protect your colleagues and the wider public in the future.

• Like 6

Surely on this forum we have someone local who is in the know with these fishermen fishing there.     I am sure if this had happened down in Kent where my son fishes the old jungle drums would have been heard and everyone would have been speaking of it.     Those of us who do live up here should keep our ears open.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Surely on this forum we have someone local who is in the know with these fishermen fishing there.     I am sure if this had happened down in Kent where my son fishes the old jungle drums would have been heard and everyone would have been speaking of it.     Those of us who do live up here should keep our ears open.

well that was my original hope that this thread would stir up someones conscience to report the matter to the authorities, but if we start out making it a them and us situation, then my thoughts were they would rally round the cause and keep quiet.

that - simply put was my original intent, I would still ask that anyone that knows anything, please contact the authorities and pass on the information

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

In my experience, there’s always fishermen at end of neatishead and I usually share a bit of friendly banter with them as I try and reverse in. Never had a problem,

this is how I would like to envisage the ongoing relationship between the boaters and anglers, there is always room for both parties with a bit of give and take.

• Like 2

After dark, silent from some distance going by splatter marks. 
Occam’s razor applies here. The simplest explanation applies. 
Getting fed up contributing tolls and getting edged out with comments like the Broads is for all. 
Nope. Can’t moor up on fishing platforms, can’t moor up here because a mass of paddle boards rafted up.  Can’t moor here because someone prefers fishing from the bank so they will give their craft six feet extra room. Private land taking advantage of public flood defences in order to post signs say no mooring. I know I’m going to be flamed but I really do think the 24hr moorings should be for boats and sailing craft and if you need to fish, do it off your boat. I do. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Private land taking advantage of public flood defences in order to post signs say no mooring.

Or worse, taking advantage of public flood defences on what used to be wild moorings, to charge exorbitant prices to moor with no services provided.

• Like 1

Sorry I forget to add this piece in my last post  topic as the People in the Village must know of this incident as it's in thier interest that thier livelihood is at stake and could they come up there from time to time to check and  to remind those who are Fishing on Broads Authority mooring to allow any Private / Hiring Boats to mooring up 

As I said in my earlier post, I really do believe the 24hr mooring signs should say 'No Fishing'. Not once have I ever found a fisherman prepared to give up his spot to comply with the notice. Most fishermen these days have so much paraphernalia that it's too much effort to move.

Before anyone asks, yes, I do fish regularly and hold a current rod license.

I have heard in the past that Bramerton Woods end used to have problems with fishermen not wanting to shift.     As you say PaulN they have so much gear with them once they are set up and baited up they are there for the duration.  That being said, that is ok on a bespoke fishing platform of which there are many dotted around.   If it was a proper fishing competition then permission would have been sought in the first place by the Club to fish there and of course it would not be given because boats have the right of way.     It is a mindset.   Fisherman have to get it into the heads before they set up that there is a likelihood of a boat wanting to moor.    Trouble is sometimes there is not a lot that gets caught in the net between the ears and common-sense goes out of the window.

I just feel  so much for the couple who have been traumatised by all this.  I just hope it does not put them off coming back to the broads and enjoying their boat once more.    

38 minutes ago, PaulN said:

As I said in my earlier post, I really do believe the 24hr mooring signs should say 'No Fishing'. Not once have I ever found a fisherman prepared to give up his spot to comply with the notice. Most fishermen these days have so much paraphernalia that it's too much effort to move.

On our first trip on Moonlight Shadow, and August Bank Holiday, there was just one spot left at Pye's Mill BA moorings. I called out to a fisherman that it was the only spot available to us and he did move. Didn't look that happy about it, but he continued fishing between our stern and the next boat.

Also in November, we found at least one fisherman at Loddon very friendly. Happy to help out with our ropes, turn the water tap on etc. I've also found that some of those fishing on the bank respond well to a friendly wave, especially if you make an effort not to pass too close. So let's acknowledge that the fishing community is as varied as the boating community.

• Like 6

Reading this rattled me as we were only at Neatishead  a few days ago. I can only begin to imagine what the owners must be going through :( 

We had no problems at all last weekend. There were quite a few fishing and as we reversed in we just said we wanted to be near the electric point and everyone was friendly, pulled in their rods while we manoeuvred into the dyke and chatted with them over the time we were there.  Its only the second time we have been there as we avoid it in busy season.  We purchased a takeaway from the White Horse for the first time and will be doing so again.  I was initially reluctant going back there after reading about this dreadful incident but we intend to use it regularly and will try not to be put off, but admit once there I personally might not be totally relaxed 

• Like 3

I have before now after requesting a bank side fisherman to move offered him ‘B.A’s well deck or foc’sle to continue fishing from if there is no bank left available. Also offered hot / cold drinks too. I will continue to do so. After all I’m an Angler mysen 

Griff

• Like 6

There is no problem here, and I am a fisherman who owns a  boat.

Just ban fishing from all BA moorings unless the fishing is from boat owners/hirers or people who have paid a decent fee to BA for the privilege of fishing for free from BA moorings which have been paid for by boat owners and hire yards. It costs around £10 a day to fish on a private fishery, now if BA charged that to individual fishermen without boats that would be a substantial amount of income for the Broads.

Food for thought Mr Packman?

• Like 2

Just another example of the aggressive confrontational society we live in, poor boat owners. I watched a crew and fisherman have a right good laugh about mooring up last year at gayes, in the end they all ended up chatting and having a beer. Exactly how it should be,and who on earth carries a can of paint around with them. Sounds more like some random vandalism to me...

• Like 2