Just A Heads Up- Boat Damaged At Neatishead

grendel

21 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Hmmm, which team would I be in? 

Ok, If were up to me I would say as you you own a boat (or part thereof) that disqualifies you as an angler. :default_fishing2:

Edit: It also prevents you switching teams when the results are announced! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Conversely, we've experienced far less animosity from anglers on the Broads than we ever did on the Gt. Ouse where in the main they were just plain nasty.

Especially once you get into the fenland bits (like where you were), the middle levels are even worse where most of the anglers were considered too aggresive for isis membership.

• Sad 1

Circular firing squad. 
the issue is limited space. 
As boaters, we are very restricted to areas we can stop. 
As anglers, free spaces are rare but more space is available if you fork out and join clubs. 
And if times turn tough, more anglers are going to use the 24hr moorings. 
Our space just isn’t expanding and what we have got needs protecting because I think the battles for space will grow.
As a hobby, fishing can be a cheap pastime but a major cost is a place to fish. 
Free fishing only serves to attract anglers to these spaces to what is a limited resource  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, addicted said:

Conversely, we've experienced far less animosity from anglers on the Broads than we ever did on the Gt. Ouse where in the main they were just plain nasty.

I can second that.. The abuse we use to get especially if they was on GOBA moorings and they had to move for us to moor up.. 

• Like 1

When my parents were in Kenya after the war, troubles were simmering under the surface and you were able to buy 12g and 20g loaded with granular salt for petty thief ery. They were fine for the odd chicken thief when fresh and dry but in the atmosphere of the highlands you often ended up firing something akin to a slug round. The Kikuyu were begining to swear their "Go! Go!" Oaths which when spoken in Kiswahili translates as "Mau Mau" Otherwise my birthplace would have been Kenya. 

14 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

I can second that.. The abuse we use to get especially if they was on GOBA moorings and they had to move for us to moor up.. 

Ely can be pretty bad as well. In fact had my worst argument there. We were hirers and I needed to be near Bridge Craft.

A friend of mine many years ago had maggots thrown over his boat he turned found jumped off, the Angler ran so he throw all his tackle in the river. i often wonder if the fisherman ever attacked another boat, A boat hook on the keep net has good results, they cost quite a lot. My yard had no fishing signs up along river bank didn't work.  he then put up Private fishing signs worked a charm.  apparently fishing club waters are sacrosanct. John

Edited by annv
addition
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I knew of a guy that got loads of abuse as he cruised past a fishing match on the middle levels so cruised back towing a mudweight listening to reels screaming.

Mustn't laugh though....

Perhaps this would be a good time to remember everyone has an equal right to use our rivers not just boaters and criminal damage is just that however caused, while not making any judgement on the latest incident there was another boat set loose at Neatishead recently plus incidents at Irstead, Gays Staithe and Barton Turf, who are we blaming for those.

Fred

• Like 1

This thread , as was the initial worry , is descending into a boater v anglers thread something I thought our members were far better than , the Broads are there for all to enjoy not just those of us that cruise the waterways it is my humble opinion that the NBN would be best served if members refrain from adding to this thread UNLESS they have pertinent (factual) information regarding the original and abhorrent vandalism suffered by friends of many on here .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

fisherman always seem quirt normal when speaking to them on a mooring but when there are more of them they can be awkward and uncooperative, when sailing on the Waveney they can be hidden but often the rod might show, when possible if i come across a fisherman i cross the river and give them space very rarely do you get a wave but if on occasion you cant do this and boat is coming the other way you cant do this and as my boat is very quirt you are suddenly on top of them you then get varying degrees of nothing to the most Appling languid and maggot throwing, it seems they think i do it deliberately, it dosn't go to one thinking well  but the worst. Very strange tribe are fisherman. I have even had them refuse to move of off my home mooring on a Sunday afternoon when i returned after the weekend and wanting to pack up and go home. John

Blokes will be blokes I'm afraid and anecdotes are more often than not, exagerated to make them interesting and/or embelished to make one party seem to get one over the other. The best place for them is in the pub over a few beers. On a public forum, while everyone has a right to free speech etc etc.. it is a written record and could be used to justify some else's opinion in the future. 

• Like 3

Knowing how things go on this and ever other forum, I'm surprised it was posted in the 1st place. Is it really a surprise that it's taken the path it has ?? Absolutely not !! So why allow it ?? Maybe it's me but I just find it bizzare, that a moderator posts it then ask for no adverse comments...I'm I being nieve here ?? 🙃🙃🙃

• Like 3

We arrived at our boat late one evening during the autumn and didn't wake until about 8am, a group of fishermen turned up ready for a match on our moorings, unfortunately the peg marking was right by the stern of our boat, we lay in bed listening to the fishermen grumbling, one of the competitors said" its not a problem, just untie it and let it go" he looked a bit sheepish when I popped my head up.

The man allotted to our mooring turned out to be very reasonable, but we have heard from boatyard staff that if there are many more complaints, then they will ban fishing from the moorings, they can be quite nasty when you want to come in and moor, I get fed up of explaining that we pay for the mooring and they don't.

• Like 3

no, you are not being naive, the topic was locked for a short while, and then we get the messages and phone calls  telling us we are stifling necessary discussion on an important topic to boaters.

my original post asked that you didnt speculate, I asked this in the hope that I could trust most of the members to take heed, ah well it seems some will always think they know better.

just remember this next time we lock a thread and you complain. we dont do this to stifle the discussion, we do it because any accusations made are in writing and the forum can be held accountable- and even shut down with no recourse, so we do it for the protection of the forum

remember this when we ask you not to speculate - because we will remember.

• Like 2

This topic has been removed from a number of fb groups and forums .

As Peter says, the mods are doing their best not to have to lock it or hide it.

The amount of mods time this has involved over the last few ( holiday ) days is unacceptable.

It is now locked permanently.

Please do not try to resurrect it in another thread.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5