Skyway From Horning Pleasurecraft

NotDeadYet

I know someone who had Sunway or Skyway at Christmas. Not sure which one. But he rated it really highly and actually it was his second time hiring it. 

I saw him arrive at Womack Water so got a look at the outside. There is very little freeboard of any kind so side on mooring would be a challenge. If we hired it we would be planning all moorings to be stern on. Could be tempted at some point. 

• Like 1

Looks great inside from the Hoseasons photos and quite reasonably priced. Hoseasons say " will pass under Ludham at low states of the tide". I would imagine that should say something like " you might get under Ludham now and again but probably not".  It would be a great boat for heading south though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

very little freeboard of any kind so side on mooring would be a challenge

I agree, but we are 2 up and the 'bathing platform' looks to be a handy step off holding both ropes.  Leaping off those high sides ain't for us!  As always, beam winds may be a factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotDeadYet said:

I agree, but we are 2 up and the 'bathing platform' looks to be a handy step off holding both ropes.  Leaping off those high sides ain't for us!  As always, beam winds may be a factor.

I wouldn't recommend leaping off any boat. I think, though, if you want to try a side on mooring, you could potentially ease yourself on to the bank from a sitting or crouching position. I must admit I've never tried from a deck of that height though so don't quote me.

• Like 2

"Freeboard" is the measurement between the waterline and the deck so this boat has a high freeboard.

Sailors refer to a boats "Freeboard"  with reference to buoyancy and it's ability not to take a "Green one" ease of boarding etc is purely co- incidental.

• Like 3

Saw her out on the rivers in October. She looks so much better in the flesh so to speak. She seem to be popular with clives customers. Sten on moorings won't be a problem. To be fair all Horning Pleasurecraft boats I saw in October looked really well turned out. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I agree. If I booked this one it would probably be an out of season trip when moorings should be plentiful and I would think it would be cosy inside. 

Yes, a nice interior but the option of full on Broads views and fresh air whenever you want it, the perfect combination.

• Like 3

Yes the freeboard is fairly high but there is a foothold to make it easier on both sides , she is a lovely very well refitted boat you’ll have a wonderful land comfortable time I’m sure , if you are in any way worried ie the freeboard height then you can purchase a rope ladder such as this one for relatively little money 

D69BB389-5638-4F1F-A781-18A4FB0FACD6.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

you can purchase a rope ladder

I have some irrelevant past experience with this kind of laddery thing, but these days an elevator or a davit/derrick would be more appropriate :-) Thanks for the info about the boat - we are very much looking forward to our week.  

2 hours ago, andyg said:

....To be fair all Horning Pleasurecraft boats I saw in October looked really well turned out. 

They seem to be adding high quality boats (in original gel) as the right ones comes along, and then it will be interesting to see how many of the new design in production appear 

It is a shame not to see the basin full of hireboats but I suppose you have to commend the approach (whilst never giving up hope of some Calypso's, Bahama's.....) 

Perhaps there will be some more additions soon, if the right boats appear

Dan

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I wouldn't fancy trying to moor stern on from the inside helm on that, visability looks pretty poor from the pic.

I agree, but there is a window to stick your head out.  Also thinking about a couple of PMR radios or just sticking to the top deck, rain or shine.

Definitely. I remember taking Commodore 1 in to Silverline because we wanted to go and look at their new boat. It was absolutely pelting it down outside but the visibility was so much better from up top that it was worth braving the elements down the dyke and I got her stern moored easily.

Skyway is a lovely boat, she does have quite a lot of freeboard as others have said but there is a step moulded into the side so you can step down more easily. The view from the flybridge is excellent and stern access is really good too.

I'd forget trying to get into Thorpe - We used to struggle to get Thunder there at 6'9" air draft!

• Like 2

I have known boats to get through one bridge on a riding tide by the time they have cruised to the other bridge the are stuck there till the tide turns. 

If if you want to go to Thorpe I’d suggest noting in the cut near to Thorpe and walk there. 

• Like 2

I'd say Skyway is way too tall to chance it.

You might get through on a really low tide but then you'll be dragging the bottom in places and there's quite a lot of junk such as fishing nets to be found down there on a low tide. And as others have said, you'll need a similarly low tide to get back out again.

I remember touching the bottom in Thunder (and she draws less than two foot) and then a bit further down having to avoid another boat which had got fishing line round the prop.

• Thanks 1