Oulton Broad Yacht Station This Morning

JanetAnne

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Yeah . . . . . . . . . . . . . I remember them.  The Van de Graaff generator was one (and I don’t mean the 60’s prog rock band!).  Put your hands on the dome as the teacher turned the crank and your hair stood up.  All was well until you were told to take one hand off the dome and touch a classmate!  Electrifying!!

This was one of many methods of punishment at my school for getting a low (ish) mark in a physics test! Chemistry lab next door had a patch in the ceiling where, rumour had it, an experiment went wrong...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roy said:

Did they have any luck raising the southern belle yesterday? 

They didn't try. Seems the current thinking is to raise her mid march when the tides are lower.

She should have got a decent hold of the mud by then.

• Like 2

Easy solution, hire a bouncy castle for the weekend, shove it in through a door and inflate it, once off the bottom pull a big tarp under the boat up to roof level and pump the water out.

Return bouncy castle.

I guess the thinking is that unless the engine is going to be sorted straight away it will be better off under water away from air and it will corrode less, but leaving it under for longer makes for a much bigger repair job, unless of course it's being written off.

47 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Easy solution, hire a bouncy castle for the weekend, shove it in through a door and inflate it, once off the bottom pull a big tarp under the boat up to roof level and pump the water out.

Return bouncy castle.

I guess the thinking is that unless the engine is going to be sorted straight away it will be better off under water away from air and it will corrode less, but leaving it under for longer makes for a much bigger repair job, unless of course it's being written off.

I hope she’s not going to written off I can remember reading a interesting article about her history can’t think where that article was but she’s had an interesting life. 

The problems are that all the normally dry interior parts become increasingly saturated so the boat gets heavier and then, as it settles into the mud it gets a better hold of the river bed. Breaking that suction will be the hardest part.

It's a bit like lifting your mud weight after a couple of hours or after a couple of weeks. The longer it's down there the more it's stuck! 

• Like 1

Yes, sorry. I thought someone else was going to post the news but they haven't!

She was up by about 20.00 last night. She is sitting with a list to starboard which is the way she was laid when on the bottom so I reckon there must be quite a collection of silt in the hull.

She is not out of the woods yet but they did get her up which was an achievement

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...