Oulton Broad Yacht Station This Morning

JanetAnne

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'd have thought it would be up to a lot more than that.

I wasn't there of course, but the forecast looked as though the first of the storm would be blowing south westerly, right down the broad from the entrance.  This would whip up quite large waves by the time it got to The Wherry.  The boat is purely a river boat, with a very low freeboard and was moored beam on to the wind.  Doesn't need much to guess the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I wasn't there of course, but the forecast looked as though the first of the storm would be blowing south westerly, right down the broad from the entrance.  This would whip up quite large waves by the time it got to The Wherry.  The boat is purely a river boat, with a very low freeboard and was moored beam on to the wind.  Doesn't need much to guess the rest.

Agreed, the storm was a south westerly, but surely that would mean that the fetch for the waves would be from Everitt Park and the Yacht Station, not very far at all?

Oulton Broad.jpg

As usual with a south westerly, the waves came down the broad from the north bay, refracting off the north an bank and smashing all along the eastern edge of the broad. The swell was close to 1m at times.

with no where to go but back out into the broad creating a double up effect all along that eastern side of the broad.

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

Sorry, we will just have to differ on that one then. Waves come from the wind direction, i.e. in this case south west. 

I don’t think it’s that simple. If the wind is blowing toward a narrowing area of water it will probably amplify the effect, even if the narrower area is around a bend.

Sorry, I know I’ve not described that well. 

I can remember from physics at school, its possible to get waves to do remarkable things, we even had practical experiments with wave tanks showing where the waves doubled in height due to the reflections from obstacles, so waves in an enclosed area can often  be predictably unpredictable

• Like 3

We had waves on our tiny pond yesterday. In 2010 I persuaded a friend to accompany me in WR to Oulton Week. We booked a mooring from the Harbour master just off the Wherry. He said it was secure a train wheel! On the Monday a hoolie blew up during the end of the cruiser race and the waves were terrifying and as soon as possible we retreated to the Dutch Tea Gardens for 48 hours before we got back across Breydon! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulN said:

Sorry, we will just have to differ on that one then. Waves come from the wind direction, i.e. in this case south west. 

The waves were coming down the broad from the south west, but due to all the concrete and steel that lines the northern bank of the broad, the waves are reflected back at there angle of incidence. This would have changed the wave direction to a nice South Easterly direction, directly onto the beam of Southern Bell as described by Vaughan above. This would appear to be what happened yesterday.

Is also worth considering, with the wind strength yesterday any waves coming back from the eastern banks meeting the incoming waves made the area in front of the Lock gates, Wherry Hotel & and River Tours moorings very rough.

It is called Constructive Interference.

Where two waves meet of similar wave length and phase, a new wave is formed with a height (Amplitude) = to the sum of their individual heights.

In the physics lab mentioned by Grendel this would be double.

You just have to watch the return wave off a sea wall meeting one incoming to see this adding height effect.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

It is called Constructive Interference.

Where two waves meet of similar wave length and phase, a new wave is formed with a height (Amplitude) = to the sum of their individual heights.

In the physics lab mentioned by Grendel this would be double.

You just have to watch the return wave off a sea wall meeting one incoming to see this adding height effect.

thinking back, to school we did some cool stuff back then in physics, we even had an air rifle to play do experiments with.

Yes,the lab workwas practical and instructional. The collapsing oil can for one.

I am not sure what the HSE would say about open dishes of mercury which we floated old pennies in with a needle attached for magnetic field experiments though.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

thinking back, to school we did some cool stuff back then in physics . . . . . . . . .

Yeah . . . . . . . . . . . . . I remember them.  The Van de Graaff generator was one (and I don’t mean the 60’s prog rock band!).  Put your hands on the dome as the teacher turned the crank and your hair stood up.  All was well until you were told to take one hand off the dome and touch a classmate!  Electrifying!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Yeah . . . . . . . . . . . . . I remember them.  The Van de Graaff generator was one (and I don’t mean the 60’s prog rock band!).  Put your hands on the dome as the teacher turned the crank and your hair stood up.  All was well until you were told to take one hand off the dome and touch a classmate!  Electrifying!!

Glad I'm not the only one that experienced that!! Those were the days! Bunsen burners galore on the wooden benches in the chemistry lab, setting light to magnesium strips, taking phosporous out of it's jar and watching it combust, oh and not forgetting the dissection of frogs legs in the biology lab! (Must be a bit windy here as I've drifted off topic :default_gbxhmm:)

Chris

• Like 2