Breydon Water Catches People Out Again!

CeePee1952

1 hour ago, grendel said:

for most people pets are an integral part of the family

Granted,I have two cats, my friend has two pet chickens, would it be OK to take them aboard. You have to draw the line somewhere. What about these ppl that keep pet pigs would that be OK. I guess in the case of last two examples, if you did get stuck on the mud for any length of time you'd have a food source 😉 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, andyg said:

What about these ppl that keep pet pigs would that be OK. I guess in the case of last two examples, if you did get stuck on the mud for any length of time you'd have a food source 😉 

You'd be surprised at what people shop for!!!

70mlhoqsm7161.thumb.jpg.82f7d72dd00562dbf45ca72c99c720a9.jpg

20 minutes ago, andyg said:

Granted,I have two cats, my friend has two pet chickens, would it be OK to take them aboard. 

I'm sure you could purchase one of these for your cat.

cb29719fc63d15f6c75da63d06f50669.jpg.8e81f2e38a3f4090bb7351a7a419142d.jpgI guess if your mate really wanted to, he could always have a handle sewn onto one of these to make recovery easier!!

1359436340_R(1).thumb.jpg.96e1de4a6a1c2ca1de05157a81bae7df.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When we were in he pet trade we used to board rabbits,  their devoted owners (not just children) used to send them cards from their holiday destination which we used to dutifully attach to their pens. If they had been able to take their pets with them they would have done so.

Carole

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyg said:

Hemsby lifeboat have just posted on fb about this incident. 16 ppl 2 dogs and a pet rabbit were rescued. Now I know il take some flak for this, but what on earth are ppl taking their pet rabbit onto a boat for...jeez what next pet mice.

Maybe it just hopped on board 😎

12 minutes ago, addicted said:

When we were in he pet trade we used to board rabbits,  their devoted owners (not just children) used to send them cards from their holiday destination which we used to dutifully attach to their pens. If they had been able to take their pets with them they would have done so.

Carole

Oh really, each to there own I guess. I love my cats but haven't got round to teaching them to read yet. On the to do list tho. Personally I find that just a little weird, why would you send a cat a postcard?? Am I missing something here... I must be such a bad owner 😕 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I'm sure you could purchase one of these for your cat.

cb29719fc63d15f6c75da63d06f50669.jpg.8e81f2e38a3f4090bb7351a7a419142d.jpgI guess if your mate really wanted to, he could always have a handle sewn onto one of these to make recovery easier!!

1359436340_R(1).thumb.jpg.96e1de4a6a1c2ca1de05157a81bae7df.jpg

Why wouldn't you ?? I mean cats love water and chicken like a good paddle. Il txt my mates chickens and see what they say. I'm so glad my wife isn't on here, you'd of cost me a fortune 🙃 

3 hours ago, andyg said:

Hemsby lifeboat have just posted on fb about this incident. 16 ppl 2 dogs and a pet rabbit were rescued. Now I know il take some flak for this, but what on earth are ppl taking their pet rabbit onto a boat for...jeez what next pet mice..

Ummmm, I used to take my pet hamster with me as a kid when mum and dad hired connoisseurs. I had to take the wheel out of the cage at night otherwise everyone complained 

• Like 4

I am going to share a few thoughts and quell a few speculators and also defenders. I do know the full facts, although I cannot share them but suffice to say, that emergency responders are required to act and respond when requested to by members of the public and when the public pass information that dictates a response is required, it is not questioned, and nor should it, especially when risk assessed alongside poor weather conditions / high wind forecasts etc. Even though someone may be deemed as being 'safe for now' they cannot be safely assessed on a mud flat.... and so a rescue decision was taken at a Tactical and Strategic (Old Money = Silver and Gold) command level. Yes it is expensive but cost is never a consideration until after an event. I am just thankful that there are many professionals and volunteers on our doorsteps willing to render aid and this was one of far-too-many incidents, diligently responded to by those agencies in just a few short days.

Holiday makers and some private owners, stray outside the posts on Breydon, When it was under the control of the old Port of Gt Yarmouth, now Peel, it fell under COLREGS and skippers may have faced consequences for failing to maintain a proper lookout, nowadays, that is a remote if non-existent possibility. Hire companies have never had less of an onus to ensure hirers understand that they have legal 'master' duties and sell the idea that they are doing little more than renting an 'easy to drive car,' and the modern world has removed the sense of danger - hence children are often seen bouncing around on the fronts of craft across Breydon without any form of buoyancy aids, chairs and picnic tables fly off (Whoever thought that was a good idea plonking them on the roof), and vessel skippers make poor navigational and handling choices.

In Ireland and the EU, before you hire you need to undertake a CEVNI (Rules of the Road) and a competency test = here the handover has been replaced by a 'contactless handover' - in some cases amounting to little more than 'Have you watched the video links we sent you' and off you go..

Having spent many thousands of pounds being promised a 'safe' and 'easy' holiday and not being told that engines stop when ingesting gallons of mud and that 'there really isn't any water outside of those posts' = Is it really hirers faults that they become frightened and fearful when things go very badly wrong?

Maybe there is need for change, but with an outdated hire/holiday model that is self-policing, maybe we should be asking them and the Authority the question why? well away from those who found themselves, sadly, in this situation - whether it was their fault or otherwise!

As a last note - I have been boating my entire life, I am a competent navigator, worked commercially when I was younger and have a boat festooned with Nav and GPS equipment - how strange that I too often find myself off the beaten track far too often!

Stay safe and let's all have a safe 2022!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Maybe I’m out of order here, but looking on social media those unfortunates who were crewing the craft concerned have been on trial and vilified without anyone having the full facts.  I doubt whether what they did was intentional, therefore it was surely an accident.  We all have accidents - that’s part of being human.  Anyone who claims to have helmed a boat without ever having a problem, must be kidding themselves.

I read on one FB group that someone actually proposed that closing Breydon would solve the issue and improve Broads safety in general.  A typical opinion from someone who is  frankly clueless.  We drive cars and have accidents, folk go skiing and have accidents.  Holidaymakers go to the coast, go exploring and get cut off by the rising tide, necessitating risky rescues.  All these things happen without trial by social media.  Even on here, we’ve descended to questioning why someone has taken a pet rabbit on holiday.  It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a cage bird on a hire boat.  Who are we to judge?

The fact remains that hundreds of craft cross Breydon throughout a season without issue.  It’s important to follow the channel and important to cross at the correct time (generally speaking).  To me, it’s easier than crossing Barton Broad, which has poorly marked channels and can be confusing, depending on where you enter and propose to leave.

I’ve probably said enough, but the families concerned probably now wish they’d never set foot aboard a boat, following all of the attention that’s been focussed upon them.  Have they not been embarrassed enough without us now dragging it out too?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Maybe I’m out of order here, but looking on social media those unfortunates who were crewing the craft concerned have been on trial and vilified without anyone having the full facts.

I think you'll find this has shown social media for exactly what it is. Despite the potential positives of the platforms it will always be overloaded with the lowest common denominator.

I just wish all the best to those onboard and hope that they choose to give the Broads another chance :default_smile:

Fully agree with Mouldy, especially about Barton Broad been confusing. We're on the Broads next month and will be crossing Breydon, as with the last twice we've visited the week before we go I'll be phoning GY yacht station asking them the best time to cross, even though we have the tide times chart. 

• Like 2