Mooring Fees

Andrewcook

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Can you still stop at the WRC for a lunch/beer break for free and shower for a quid? That was very handy last year as a land shower is always better than a boat shower.

Used to love having a shower on the boat. It was like having a jet wash in wardrobe, very refreshing.

Spoiled now with the shower on the van. It is massive compared to the boat shower and it has heating in there. Luxury.

We always use the shower on the van now even if we are on a site. 

Going back to the OP on the New Inn, I have a different view on the mooring charges.

I have already booked and paid £15 to moor at the New Inn Sunday 3rd July, obviously I'd prefer it to be as it was, book a mooring, book a table and it's free!

Sadly, it isn't, and we like to stop at Horning for a wander around a drink by the river and a meal in the evening!

Mooring in Horning is not plentiful, we're crossing Breydon in the morning and £15 for a guaranteed mooring, without the need to hurry in a place you cant moor is just part of the holiday fund, and as we only breakfast on the boat, the amount we will be spending in the Norfolk pubs, this will barely scratch the surface!   :default_beerchug:

By comparison for a tenner you can moor at Ranworth Island with only goose poo as a facility!  :default_wink:

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

I believe Ranworth island is now £13

Actually Grendel it was £12 and the young girl collecting it managed to spread more Goose Crap on my doormat, not my Goose not my crap, Too much for no facilities plus the problem of the Geese in my opinion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tim said:

Going back to the OP on the New Inn, I have a different view on the mooring charges.

I have already booked and paid £15 to moor at the New Inn Sunday 3rd July, obviously I'd prefer it to be as it was, book a mooring, book a table and it's free!

Sadly, it isn't, and we like to stop at Horning for a wander around a drink by the river and a meal in the evening!

Mooring in Horning is not plentiful, we're crossing Breydon in the morning and £15 for a guaranteed mooring, without the need to hurry in a place you cant moor is just part of the holiday fund, and as we only breakfast on the boat, the amount we will be spending in the Norfolk pubs, this will barely scratch the surface!   :default_beerchug:

By comparison for a tenner you can moor at Ranworth Island with only goose poo as a facility!  :default_wink:

If I use a privately owned mooring then I expect to pay a fee towards the upkeep, if I use that part of an establishment where I am giving them my custom I dont expect to pay for the privilege but then I am not a holiday maker and given the amount of time we spend there pubs are low on our priority list, if a pub dosnt appreciate my custom during the peak periods then as  a 12 months of the year boater they dont get it off season when they could do with it.

Fred

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

If I use a privately owned mooring then I expect to pay a fee towards the upkeep, if I use that part of an establishment where I am giving them my custom I dont expect to pay for the privilege but then I am not a holiday maker and given the amount of time we spend there pubs are low on our priority list, if a pub dosnt appreciate my custom during the peak periods then as  a 12 months of the year boater they dont get it off season when they could do with it.

Fred

That's the same argument as parking charges to go shopping in a shopping centre.

And for the record, I usually avoid going to shopping centres where they charge me to park, for that very argument - if they want me to spend my money there, don't charge me to park !

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Can you still stop at the WRC for a lunch/beer break for free and shower for a quid? That was very handy last year as a land shower is always better than a boat shower.

I was wondering about that too. One of the families who have joined our syndicate last year reported recently that they moored up at WRC during the day for free so that their kids could have a swim in the pool.

Hi,

Just back from a week on the Thames paid between £8 Eton and £12 Henley to moor where charges applied. Most had little or no facilities however you were largely in major venues. WRC charges £25, the New Inn £15 without a refund, Ranworth island £12. They are perfectly entitled to charge what they like however it does seem strange that the Broads the affordable waterway is getting pricier than the Thames for moorings in places. I do hope the Golden Goose doesn't get shot because it's certainly suffering from shrapnel at present.

Neil

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

That's the same argument as parking charges to go shopping in a shopping centre.

And for the record, I usually avoid going to shopping centres where they charge me to park, for that very argument - if they want me to spend my money there, don't charge me to park !

Totally agree I shop at Roy’s of wroxham as free parking

• Like 2

It's never been a cheap holiday or hobby I guess. Boat owners will hold on as long as they can if times get hard because it's a passion but if needs must some may sell, but it wouldn't be a good market.

On the other hand a year is a long time when things are volatile and the world and it's economy may be in a better place.

It's anyone's guess how some major "situations" are going to play out and some speculation may drift into the dreaded political sphere so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hang on to my boat no matter what 👍

• Like 1

As I have said many times:- Compared to other places The Broads are still very good value for money.

Be thankful that they have not cottoned on to "By LOA" for overnight moorings. ( or beam )

You will pay £4.00 to £6.00 per metre for an overnight all along the South Coast.

• Sad 1

And as Ray say's "it has never been cheap"

From a humble sailing or outboard dinghy to a Med Super yacht, be you owner or charterer. Boating is expensive.

• Like 2