Cancer And Me.

2 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Wish you all the best Ian.

Could I just ask is your consultant Zag ot Zak?

The reason I ask is my wife had a consultant at N&N and he was a Greek guy with a surname about a foot long who was simply known as Dr Zak. If it is the same guy you are in very good hands. We have private health cover but never felt the need to use it as the NHS treatment was so good.

She is now 5 years cancer free.

My mistake should  be Zak. ( Dr Tasigiannopoulos ).

• Like 1

I have had cancer bowel cancer. My grandfather died of bowel cancer,  my uncle Bill died of bowel cancer. My farther died of bowl cancer. 

When I was told that I had bowel cancer I felt so desperate. Those desperate mornings, 3am, 4am were the worst. Just lying there. In the dark. Not for myself, I resigned myself to the inevitable. It was the loss, not seeing the grandchildren grow up, my wife, my relatives, my friends, which caused me distress.

My possessions funnily enough matterd not.

Cancer will effect one in two of us. True. You will have it and will not know. Have it and live with it. With a good quality of life. Some will have a journey, it may be difficult, as mine was. An amazing journey. Accomplished by a dedicated team of consultants, surgeon's, nurse's and not least my family. 

Do not despair. Do not give up. Do not fail to visit your doctor with a concern.  DO IT.

Join us, you will not be alone.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

I've now had Cancer  twice.On both occasions being told that in the beginning  wasn't  easy to take.For me I wanted to know what was the best  treatments available. There is lots of support I can call on.I have four lung nurses and four Cancer care nurses I can call on.The Cancer care nurses  phone me about every two weeks. There's also the big C at Norwich  hospital. Its a drop in centre. My advice to those like me,stay positive  listen  to Doctors and nurses. Get on with your life.Dont forget your family.They will be worried  at times .

• Like 4

I think it's important  that Cancer  is spoken about.Growing up in the sixties. People didn't  want to talk about Cancer, at best just saying its C.Cancer treatment  thankfully  has come a long way since. If I can encourage anyone that thinks there's a problem  with there health  to seek help.That's a success. Yes not easy to get a GP appointment. If that's not easy phone 111.

• Like 4

A number of our owners have suffered from cancer or leukemia, some wished to talk over their condition with myself or other members of the team and others sadly switched off and asked to sell their shares, others are still with us and are still enjoying their boating. Illness in any form affects us all in different ways, it is how we cope with it that effects us and our families.

Alan

• Like 5

When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. The mental impact was huge and for about 6 months I was completely unable to actually say the words "I've got cancer".  I went to see my GP to ask her to arrange some physio to help me with my arm that had impaired movement following the surgery I had had done. When I was going to the surgery Tony insisted on accompanying me despite me  saying that it was unecessary.  I asked the doctor to arrange the physio for me and because I had had my operation privately the details had not shown up on my records so she wanted to know  why I wanted physio and despite umpteen attempts I clouldn't get the words out and Tony had to tell her for me which was of course why he had insisted on coming She understood perfectly and  said to me "and aren't you just bloody furious with your body!! How right she was. This  time round, I dealt with the mental aspect much better. When I was given the news by the surgeon, the first thing I asked was, is it treatable? the amazement on his face that I should have asked what was clearly in his  opinion such an absurd question  was very reassuring.

Carole

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I spoke with my Consultant yesterday. Very pleased  to say the results  of my scan was good. The spot on my spine and two in my lung seemed  to be under control .No further  treatment  just a blood test November  and a follow up scan in December. 

It's been a tough time for not only myself but the family  too.I'm thankful  of the support  of family friends and nurses. The other week I went to the Macmillan coffee morning  at JP.It was good to put faces to those nurses  I'd spoken to over the weeks,also meeting others suffering  from Cancer.It wasn't  a sad day .Light hearted,leg pulling and a up lifting morning.

• Like 11

Thanks, my guess I'll  be checked for the next five years.My lung operation  for Cancer was 24 October 2020.So almost two years in.My Spine  Cancer  treated with Radiotherapy this June.

Once again if anyone  thinks they have a problem,get it checked. If your worried PM me, I will help if I can.

Ian.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...