Cancer And Me.

I had a problem in January. Was seen in James Paget.Tests Xrays and a scan.They thought at first  I had a blood clot on the lung.At that stage they ruled out anything  serious. February  I saw at Thoracic consultant. He thought they may be Cancer again. Five more scans CT,PET and MRI.Then transferred to Oncology  at James Paget.Saw the Consultant (Zag).Cancer this time a small spot on my spine.Due to my lungs not being that good,we agreed to have Radiotherapy. I had five treatments at Norwich  Hospital. Some side affects, the main one,tiredness. Has not stopped me doing things,just when tiredness hits I stop.

Saw Zag on Tuesday,will have a CT scan next Tuesday due to have another phone appointment next month.I was at first surprised that it was in my spine,worried for a time.Zag reassured Marina and myself that the Cancer is small and hopefully the Radiotherapy should work.I know it's not easy for Marina  and the family and thank them for their support. I would also like to thank Carole for her support  too.We PM one another. 

Ian.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 7
  • Love 3

Thank you Ian.Tony and  I will be thinking of you next Tuesday.   I  also valued your support when I was thrown my recent curveball.  Tony knows only too well how Marina and the rest of your family  is feeling.

With every good wish for your speedy recovery,

Carole

• Thanks 1

My thoughts go to you and your family. I think the worst part of. cancer is the initial not knowing, waiting for results etc. As long as you are happy that the medics have it right, and no reason to doubt them really, then it’s just what it is. Go with the flow of it. You personally cannot do much about it apart from do what’s asked of you treatment-wise, so use each day as you wish-if tired, just relax, if energetic, get out and about. As ‘the family’ of a patient, my advice is to share your thoughts with them. Don’t keep it to yourself until it becomes a subject difficult to broach. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Sorry to hear that Ian, all the best for your treatment. I've also had a shock this week, I was at the dentist  and he is concerned about a white patch I have on my upper gum and has referred me to the hospital. Unfortunately I'm a smoker and even more annoying I actually enjoy smoking. Stay positive and all the best 👍 

• Thanks 1

Good luck Ian. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in February and am now 11 days post op (robotic assisted radical prostatectomy) and radiotherapy as some spread was found during the procedure (I am part of the NeuroSafe study, a pathologist was present to examine both removed prostate and surrounding tissue). 

I’m feeling both positive and also terrified at present, and the temporary incontinence issues are really getting me down….

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, andyg said:

Sorry to hear that Ian, all the best for your treatment. I've also had a shock this week, I was at the dentist  and he is concerned about a white patch I have on my upper gum and has referred me to the hospital. Unfortunately I'm a smoker and even more annoying I actually enjoy smoking. Stay positive and all the best 👍 

I understand  I was a heavy smoker,but managed  to give up.I had patches ,which worked  for me.You do however want to give up if you are able to succeed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I understand  I was a heavy smoker,but managed  to give up.I had patches ,which worked  for me.You do however want to give up if you are able to succeed. 

Ian I've tried some many times and failed. I know it's wrong but I don't think I actually want to. My kidds and grandkids keep on at me to. I've spent a small fortune of vapping and failed. I guess I'm a lost cause...

Yes you are a lost cause. So was I. First thing in the morning a cup of tea and a fag.

Never ever went anywhere without a packet of fags and a lighter. First thing I checked on leaving the house. Fags, lighter. Good to go.

And then I had the cough from hell. Still smoked on top of that.

And then.

A bronchospasm.. Several.

Patches, vapes, gum. 

Then I decided to give up. Ignored all the gimmicks. I just stopped.

I have not had a fag for 15 years. Still remember the fag of course I do. I cannot, I must not even contemplate having even a puff. It would be the end of me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oh Ian, youve had enough thrown at you this last year or two (not least concrete bridges). It's that whole bubble of misery you're cast into following a cancer diagnosis that hurts. It affects you and all your family and it doesn't go until that bubble is burst by a successful outcome. No point telling you not to worry. Just do everything the docs tell you, and and on the basis that peace and solitude are healing for the body, get back on the boat as often as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wussername said:

Yes you are a lost cause. So was I. First thing in the morning a cup of tea and a fag.

Never ever went anywhere without a packet of fags and a lighter. First thing I checked on leaving the house. Fags, lighter. Good to go.

And then I had the cough from hell. Still smoked on top of that.

And then.

A bronchospasm.. Several.

Patches, vapes, gum. 

Then I decided to give up. Ignored all the gimmicks. I just stopped.

I have not had a fag for 15 years. Still remember the fag of course I do. I cannot, I must not even contemplate having even a puff. It would be the end of me.

Well done, very similar story to my sister. She just stopped after a very bad cough.

I have told this story  before.The reason I stopped goes like this.I had tried  to stop a few times without  success. Long flights to Canada and America. Where I could  have killed for a  fag.Then working at Abbey  Road. I just didn't feel right,and money wise.A visit to the Doctor then discussing options with the nurse.We decidided a date and patches for me.so picked the 2 November 2005.That night Stevie Wonder was in the studio. I was asked to stay in case he wanted food.Which in the end he didn't. I got home about  1.00am.So didn't  stop that day.Following evening I Got home 11.30pm.I had six cigarettes in the packet, I smoked five.Broke and throw away the last one,washed the ashtray. Went to bed,when I woke up I put a patch on and have not smoked since.I the family and friends never thought  I would.Think I had a reason to stopped that's what helped me do it.

I never  nagged other smokers,I used to enjoy  smoking, but am pleased  I stopped.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Wish you all the best Ian.

Could I just ask is your consultant Zag ot Zak?

The reason I ask is my wife had a consultant at N&N and he was a Greek guy with a surname about a foot long who was simply known as Dr Zak. If it is the same guy you are in very good hands. We have private health cover but never felt the need to use it as the NHS treatment was so good.

She is now 5 years cancer free.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I used to smoke about 30 Rothman international a day. I used to keep a lighter and a packet of cigs in my bag,ditto kitchen, lounge , bathroom, bedoom and ditto in both cars! Tony used to nag me to give up constantly. I had a close friend with whom I used to spend a lot of time. She was a single mum to 2 and didn't have an easy life. She met a man who was perfect for her but who was vehemently opposed to smoking and said there was no future for them while she smoked, so she promised to give up on New Years Eve 1989. I really wanted her to have this chance of happiness so I also gave up  to make it easier on her. I've never smoked since. She failed to give up and he married her anyway!

Carole

• Like 1