Paradise ?

Aboattime

So i took the dog out for his early morning walk yesterday along a stretch of river that i hadnt walked for years and wow, where was this wonderful place?Just perfect quay heading,room for abour 20 boats,large grass banks,picnic tables,newly planted trees,benches,and even cycle racks.Not one boat moored there,was i dreaming?No it actually existed,so where is this little part of paradise in "The Broads National Park"?Answers on a post card please, i know it wont take you long, but it got me wondering if the broads authority needed to get its priorities right as i walked back to the boat that was moored cheek to jowel with every body else, ot the alternative was to pay £20 for overnight stay.

Yes Griff is right, i knew it wouldnt be long before the right answer came along.As Heron was talking about Hoveton,the park is in a right state,large parts of it fenced of,as the so called Capital of the broads,shouldnt the council be making more effort to keep it looking good? 

As for Potter,is there any thing the BA can do to make it more visitor friendly for private boats, now we have lost the quiet moorings? Herbert Woods can only take so many visiting boats,if it wernt for Lathams is there any point to a visit?

3 hours ago, Aboattime said:

So i took the dog out for his early morning walk yesterday along a stretch of river that i hadnt walked for years and wow, where was this wonderful place?Just perfect quay heading,room for abour 20 boats,large grass banks,picnic tables,newly planted trees,benches,and even cycle racks.Not one boat moored there,was i dreaming?No it actually existed,so where is this little part of paradise in "The Broads National Park"?Answers on a post card please, i know it wont take you long, but it got me wondering if the broads authority needed to get its priorities right as i walked back to the boat that was moored cheek to jowel with every body else, ot the alternative was to pay £20 for overnight stay.

The reason it was empty probably has something to do with the bridge.  

56 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

The reason it was empty probably has something to do with the bridge.  

Yes i get that but as there are so few moorings the other side my point is cannot something be done for the majority of us, who unlike Griff and BA , who are no longer unable to get under the bridge? If you dont get a space at the Broads Authority moorings then the only option is HW at £20,and thats assuming there is space.

2 hours ago, Aboattime said:

Yes Griff is right, i knew it wouldnt be long before the right answer came along.As Heron was talking about Hoveton,the park is in a right state,large parts of it fenced of,as the so called Capital of the broads,shouldnt the council be making more effort to keep it looking good? 

As for Potter,is there any thing the BA can do to make it more visitor friendly for private boats, now we have lost the quiet moorings? Herbert Woods can only take so many visiting boats,if it wernt for Lathams is there any point to a visit?

Hi The only real answer is to make the bridge navigable perhaps cut a slot at end of bridge then jack up road bridge by a foot along with a barrier gate. then herburt Woods price will come down along with a massive increase in trade for the shops that are there and further along to Hickling broad. John

4 hours ago, Aboattime said:

Herbert Woods can only take so many visiting boats,if it wernt for Lathams is there any point to a visit?

As it’s been reported that the great temple of tat has all their Christmas merchandise out already, I fully intend to give the place a very wide body swerve anyway!!  I’ll have to send the wife in to buy my cake . . . . . . . .although that could have disastrous consequences for my bank balance!

I might have to sneak in the exit to get to the bakery!! :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

As it’s been reported that the great temple of tat has all their Christmas merchandise out already, I fully intend to give the place a very wide body swerve anyway!!  I’ll have to send the wife in to buy my cake . . . . . . . .although that could have disastrous consequences for my bank balance!

I might have to sneak in the exit to get to the bakery!! :default_biggrin:

My wife and son went in on wednesday, i stayed on the boat,they did well,only 2 carrier bags,but there were some cakes that were lovely !!:default_biggrin:   Kevin

Is the bridge a listed “thing”.?

I’ve often wondered why there couldn’t be a “cut” around it.

It’s not as if the road is an essential means to cross the river as both sides can be accessed from the new road.

the land where the old pub used to be was,the last time i visited unused .I don’t recall there being much else on that side.

dig a navigation channel and put a footbridge over.:default_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

Is the bridge a listed “thing”.?

I’ve often wondered why there couldn’t be a “cut” around it.

It’s not as if the road is an essential means to cross the river as both sides can be accessed from the new road.

the land where the old pub used to be was,the last time i visited unused .I don’t recall there being much else on that side.

dig a navigation channel and put a footbridge over.:default_biggrin:

That will never happen unfortunately the site is war marked for building surprise surprise and also people will say about the wildlife above potter is more diverse because the bridge stops lots of boats. 

Min a ideal world I would like to see a navigation cut round the bridge 

10 minutes ago, Roy said:

That will never happen unfortunately the site is war marked for building surprise surprise and also people will say about the wildlife above potter is more diverse because the bridge stops lots of boats. 

Min a ideal world I would like to see a navigation cut round the bridge 

Even knocking the bridge down wouldn’t be particularly helpful.  I’m fairly certain that the clearance under the ‘new’ road bridge would still prohibit many craft from accessing the northern reaches of The Thurne.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Even knocking the bridge down wouldn’t be particularly helpful.  I’m fairly certain that the clearance under the ‘new’ road bridge would still prohibit many craft from accessing the northern reaches of The Thurne.

It would

But then it would not stop many that were designed to fit under the old bridge.

• Like 2

Well having paid my money and traipsed round the NWT's reserve at Hickling several times at different seasons, never seeing anything that could remotely be called interesting or rare apart from evidence of some kind of wasp that lives in dung-heaps, I don't think the wild-life argument holds true.

That damned bridge should be dismantled stone by stone and re-assembled at the MOTB, if people think it has sufficient historical merit.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

So short of getting rid of the bridge,putting a cut in, is there any thing that can be done to increase moorings before the bridge?Just seems to me that the priorities are the wrong way round.

Given that there is a distinct shortage of available space, the only alternative would probably be for the BA to take the lease on the ‘quiet’ moorings and get them up to the required standard.  The main issue is their proximity to the riverside properties and the potential for noise nuisance that would surely follow, with after hours running of engines etc.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Given that there is a distinct shortage of available space, the only alternative would probably be for the BA to take the lease on the ‘quiet’ moorings and get them up to the required standard.  The main issue is their proximity to the riverside properties and the potential for noise nuisance that would surely follow, with after hours running of engines etc.

That would make to much sense for the BA ,but we can all live in hope.:default_pirate: