Mince Pies.

AndyTBoater

48 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Slightly warmed whisky softens a pie very well.

Or Cognac.

Hmmm... Cognac certainly,  whisky less so me thinks. I wonder about Calvados being a reasonable option.  Whichever,  I think fruit based not grain based.

I would also top the suitably softened tart with the thickest cream you can lay your hands on (saving some for the mince pie)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, webntweb said:

I pour cream or custard over the ones my wife makes. It softens them enough to make them just about edible.

A brick wouldn't soften mine. I wonder if it would be ethical to buy shop bought mince pies and pass them off as homemade.....asking for a friend :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Gracie said:

A brick wouldn't soften mine. I wonder if it would be ethical to buy shop bought mince pies and pass them off as homemade.....asking for a friend :default_biggrin: x

Definitely unethical, but don't let that stop you - you'll be in the company of thousands of others.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

A tart just has a bottom ie: Bakewell tart.Jam,almond paste iced topping and cherries.A Chicken pie or mince pie,has a pastry base and a lid.

So what about one of those pies where you get the filling in a small casserole bowl with pastry on top? Is that still classified as a pie? 

19 hours ago, Woodie said:

I assume that’s 4 boxes?

If not, more commitment and practice required!

I am now up to 5 individual ones. Will be 6 by the end of the evening. I seem to be streaking ahead in this contest. 

Chelsea14Ian - You are not in contention as "More than 4" doesn't count as a real number, 

• Like 1

In the true sense no a pie must have a pastry bottom and lid.For the last 20/30 years it's been common for pies just to have a lid.Think it's because Chefs and cooks couldn't be bothered to do both.Its often seen on menu's without a pie dish just served on a plate with a pastry lid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

In the true sense no a pie must have a pastry bottom and lid.For the last 20/30 years it's been common for pies just to have a lid.Think it's because Chefs and cooks couldn't be bothered to do both.Its often seen on menu's without a pie dish just served on a plate with a pastry lid.

That’s not a pie! It’s a cheats pie! A personal view, but I’ve always felt cheated if served with a casserole topped with pastry masquerading as a pie. 

• Like 4