2023 Broadcaster Now Out & About

Bytheriver

6 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Yes, that's true. It's down to the number of new cruise ships being launched. Overcapacity for the current size of the cruise market. Some stand out prices! 

And the size of the ships; I understand there aren't that many places on board where you can actually see the sea! :default_jumelles:

Just out of curiosity, when was the £2 charge for water introduced at Ranworth staithe?  We topped up there last year in October and didn't pay for it :default_icon_e_confused:

3 minutes ago, floydraser said:

And the size of the ships; I understand there aren't that many places on board where you can actually see the sea! :default_jumelles:

We've recently booked a 13 night cruise holiday on Princess Royal, Auckland to Sydney then back to go around the South and North islands with stops at some ports along the way. Deluxe balcony suite booked with guaranteed sea view, return flight Heathrow - Honk Kong - Auckland.  All in all, a very good price and in reality not that much more than if we booked a top end boat on the Broads for two weeks in the height of the season!

Chris

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Just out of curiosity, when was the £2 charge for water introduced at Ranworth staithe?  We topped up there last year in October and didn't pay for it :default_icon_e_confused:

We've recently booked a 13 night cruise holiday on Princess Royal, Auckland to Sydney then back to go around the South and North islands with stops at some ports along the way. Deluxe balcony suite booked with guaranteed sea view, return flight Heathrow - Honk Kong - Auckland.  All in all, a very good price and in reality not that much more than if we booked a top end boat on the Broads for two weeks in the height of the season!

Chris

More 'disposable' than me then - maybe I should have saved some when I was younger!?

• Like 1

I don't think it's a question  of cost,but a question  of fairness. If and I hope not,they charge  for moorings  at Reedham  and Ranworth. Which I think is not needed.BA are not strapped for cash.If it happens will they look at other free moorings  and bring in a charge. Yes they would.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

As far as I can remember, there’s been an honesty box for a donation for water for many years, with a suggested donation amount.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I don't think it's a question  of cost,but a question  of fairness. If and I hope not,they charge  for moorings  at Reedham  and Ranworth. Which I think is not needed.BA are not strapped for cash.If it happens will they look at other free moorings  and bring in a charge. Yes they would.

Imposing a charge at other moorings would surely require employing a ranger to collect them.  I can’t see that happening.  It’s obviously easy at Yarmouth, Norwich and Reedham, as there is already a BA presence there and with the visitor centre at Ranworth, it’s clearly a prime target.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

As far as I can remember, there’s been an honesty box for a donation for water for many years, with a suggested donation amount.

Will you still require to pay a mooring fee if the only reason you are landing is to top up with water?

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Will you still require to pay a mooring fee if the only reason you are landing is to top up with water?

If you have to go to the visitor centre to pay, I’d guess not.  Who knows, until it happens.  The BA need to define what constitutes a daytime mooring, as opposed to merely stopping to top up with water.  Perhaps Tom Waterfall @BroadsAuthority would care to clarify?

• Thanks 1

A lot of places expect you to ring and pay. That's how Epping Forest works if you don't have cash. Then the rangers do spot checks by driving around the carparks....Not so easy when the mooring isn't close to a road for the BA!! Not so easy if there isn't a phone signal for the boat!

Grt Yarmouth. 

"One full turn of the tide" comes to mind. Surely the right of every boatman, helm, to be able to seek sanctuary without duress for safety of his boat, for himself and his crew. Who are they who deny this fundamental right by imposing a financial obligation for their own pecuniary advantage. Disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful and should never be allowed.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Grt Yarmouth. 

"One full turn of the tide" comes to mind. Surely the right of every boatman, helm, to be able to seek sanctuary without duress for safety of his boat, for himself and his crew. Who are they who deny this fundamental right by imposing a financial obligation for their own pecuniary advantage. Disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful and should never be allowed.

They don't and didn't.

Well in my limited experience anyway. Just a mere 30 years.

I can only think someone must have upset someone.

9 hours ago, LizG said:

A lot of places expect you to ring and pay. That's how Epping Forest works if you don't have cash.

That's a good point and it's one of the ways and means the BA could charge for unmanned moorings if they felt like it. There's at least two moorings like that on the Thames (Cliveden and Henley) where you're expected to pay online. They could easily employ rangers to travel around by either car or boat and either collect fees or check for unpaid fees.

On 24/03/2023 at 18:41, Wussername said:

I think yes. It is a grudge payment. Not acceptable.

The £5, £10, £20 payment all add up don't you know. At Horning, The Swan, there was a £50 payment, or did i dream it. I think that the average holiday maker may decide enough is enough. Unless you are fortunate  enough to be above average.

I think what Mr W says here is the crux of the matter.

The introduction a few years ago of the contribution boxes for water refills must have generated quite an amount of cash for The BA over the years.

I always dropped a couple of quid in as I thought it would help with the upkeep of the moorings.

Now I feel I am being ripped off by having to pay twice for moorings I can't see me dropping that couple of quid in the box.

• Like 3

Just thinking about Reedham for a moment, double mooring is allowed with the permission of the boat on the inside. So how's that going to work? Will they charge you £20 to moor if you don't allow someone alongside? Do you get the £10 if you do allow someone alongside? If you do allow someone alongside and they pay the BA £10 to moor alongside you, does that mean the BA are now liable if there is damage done to your boat?

Personally I'm not keen on someone alongside at Reedham due to the extra noise / rubbing / squeaking of fenders caused by the tidal flow through there, however if I'm forced to pay to moor there then the answer will definitely be no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Just thinking about Reedham for a moment, double mooring is allowed with the permission of the boat on the inside. So how's that going to work? Will they charge you £20 to moor if you don't allow someone alongside? Do you get the £10 if you do allow someone alongside? If you do allow someone alongside and they pay the BA £10 to moor alongside you, does that mean the BA are now liable if there is damage done to your boat?

Personally I'm not keen on someone alongside at Reedham due to the extra noise / rubbing / squeaking of fenders caused by the tidal flow through there, however if I'm forced to pay to moor there then the answer will definitely be no.

The last I heard they still don't have a lease or right to charge and the one at Ranworth is considered to be illegal for historic reasons.

Fred

5 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

The last I heard they still don't have a lease or right to charge and the one at Ranworth is considered to be illegal for historic reasons.

Fred

I do not understand, If they do not have a lease what authority do they have, if any? Are they trespasser's, squatters, heaven a bid have we fallen amongst thieves ?

Ah! Ranworth. Historic reasons. What reasons? How far back do we have to go? What possible legal credibility can you place on "historic reasons"

Fred, no malice meant or intended, playing the devils advocate.